Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 11:05:24 AM EDT
Looking for a target .22LR and as always they line-up has their pros/cons.

Really like the trigger on the Buckmark as well as the variety of configurations.  However, I do not like the fact you have to take the rail/sights off to break down the gun.

The Ruger 22/45 has a bunch of aftermarket parts available as well as having the 1911 grip angle I am very familiar with.  However, to get the trigger comparable to any where near the Buckmark, you will be spending some $ and time.

Have not a chance to fondle a Beretta NEOS yet, so I can not comment on it's balance and trigger.  Though,  I do like the ease of breakdown and continuous top rail.

My father had a SW 22A and it appeared to be a solid gun.  Unfortunately, my brother decided to keep it eventhough it was willed to me (he was the executor) after my father's passing, so it jagged pill to swallow.

I am swaying towards the 22/45, as i can pick up a like new one for $330 OTD.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:25:33 AM EDT
[#1]
We have all four in my club.

Ruger:  Rock solid, reliable, accurate.  Ours are probably pushing the 100k mark on rounds.  Requires very little in way of repairs.  We have Mk II's.

Buckmarks:  A bit nicer than the Rugers but more fragile.  Round count is close to the Rugers and they have definitely required more TLC.  A couple probably need a complete rebuild.  

Beretta NEO.  We just acquired one.  In general seems like a nice pistol.  I'm not convinced the long term durability is there.  Time will tell.  Grip angle is "different".  

22A:  I recently got one personally.  About a thousand rounds thru it.  Been very impressed so far.  Mine is the alloy version, they make an all steel one as well.  Like the Buckmarks they use a plastic buffer.  I like the grips better than the others.

Triggers:  There is as much variation within the brands as there is from one brand to the next.  All of ours are at least decent.  All can be worked on if need be.  

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:56:52 AM EDT
[#2]
My Ruger MK III Hunter is first rate and built like a brick shithouse.
It's going to last forever.

A Volquartson trigger and a MK II bushing (to get rid of the magazine disconnector) cost about $100.

The instructions are on youtube and the install is easy.

The Volquartson trigger is well worth the money.

If you don't want to spent that a replacement bushing alone is about $20.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:13:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Skip the Neos, try the Ruger with a few Volquartsen mods or go full on Volquartsen...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:51:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Smith and Wesson 41 or a High Standard Trophy.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:10:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Three times the cost, almost impossible to find (the 41) or moving into the collector's market (the Trophy).
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:33:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you mean a real target 22 designed for high scores in bullseye matches? When someone says target gun this is what I think of. Smith 41, older high standards or euro guns like hammerli or walther gsp types come to mind. If you are talking general plinking and say steel challenge matches ( where the accuracy requirements are rather generous) pretty much ruger and buck marks own these events. Some people can trick out rugers to nearly equal the accuracy of the high end guns. Another option if you already own a high quality 1911 is a good conversion unit like the marvel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:21:50 PM EDT
[#7]

Ruger MkIIs do have a different grip angle than the 22/45s, but it really doesn't make any real difference.
I shoot MkIIs as well as 1911s in competition. I don't even notice the difference in grip angle.

A Ruger with a VQ trigger plus the VQ target sear is a very different pistol than stock. The sear alone gives you a crisp 2.5# pull.
I have the sears on all of my MkIIs. My optics pistol has a VQ target trigger, while my iron sight pistol has a Clark. The VQ has a wide smooth trigger shoe and the Clark has a cirved serrated shoe. I shoot both well enough to be in Master Class. Pick the trigger that feels best to you that has a overtravel screw and install the VQ sear. On a MkIII you have a few other things to do but they are GTG also.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:52:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you mean a real target 22 designed for high scores in bullseye matches? When someone says target gun this is what I think of. Smith 41, older high standards or euro guns like hammerli or walther gsp types come to mind. If you are talking general plinking and say steel challenge matches ( where the accuracy requirements are rather generous) pretty much ruger and buck marks own these events. Some people can trick out rugers to nearly equal the accuracy of the high end guns. Another option if you already own a high quality 1911 is a good conversion unit like the marvel.
View Quote

Entry level target............I want to "participate" in competitions, not compete.  There for the fun, not the fight.

Link Posted: 5/31/2015 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I like my MK II's and III's, but my all time favorite would be the Sig Trailside. Hard as hell to find any more, but worth the hunt...............
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:31:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like my MK II's and III's, but my all time favorite would be the Sig Trailside. Hard as hell to find any more, but worth the hunt...............
View Quote

One of my biggest regrets is not getting one.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
What kind of competition ? In a lot of cases buy once cry once will be the best answer.
I would still go for a good used high standard ( runs about 500 bucks in my area and far superior to the entry level stuff
If I was going to buy a current production or newer model used gun I would go ruger
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I own two Ruger Mark II pistols, both with Volquartsen trigger kits (a 6-7/8 Govt. Target and a 6-7/8 tapered barrel). I also own a High Standard Supermatic Citation. My advice: Get a Ruger and pop for the trigger kit. It completely transforms the gun. The High Standard is sweet but they're finicky. Mags are an issue.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 11:16:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I own two Ruger Mark II pistols, both with Volquartsen trigger kits (a 6-7/8 Govt. Target and a 6-7/8 tapered barrel). I also own a High Standard Supermatic Citation. My advice: Get a Ruger and pop for the trigger kit. It completely transforms the gun. The High Standard is sweet but they're finicky. Mags are an issue.
View Quote

The Ruger pistold are also the least finicky about ammo. Mine will feed and shoot anything.

If you do get a Ruger let us know. We will talk you through the reassembly after cleaning. The hammer strut position has caused many owners to become very grumpy.
It isn't difficult and is actually easy once you understand what is needed.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I think this thread convinced me to get the Volquartsen LLV upper...

I had been looking at a Supermatic Trophy for 599.99 at a local shop but it's not as proven reliability wise as the Ruger that I've got and why not get a more accurate "barrel" for bullseye shooting?
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Entry level target............I want to "participate" in competitions, not compete.  There for the fun, not the fight.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have to be an auto? I highly recommend a S&W 617.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I first got a Ruger Mark III Hunter for my .22LR fix.  It is an awesome gun that runs like a sewing machine from day one.  Installed a Volquartsen Trigger Accurizing Kit, mag disconnect bushing, and a few more VQ odds and ends.  Then I had a chance to buy a brand new S&W Model 41 about eight years ago.  Price was something I couldn't pass up.  The Model 41 is an amazing target shooter.  I started to have some problems with it a few months ago with the spent shells not ejecting fully and a live round getting stuck underneath the spent shell.  I hope to have this issue licked with a new Volquartsen Exact Edge extractor and new Wolff recoil springs.  Both guns are top notch.  Get the Ruger first and see how you like it.  Then maybe later on you may consider the Model 41.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:50:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 10:58:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Buckmarks can have great triggers.   Old ones are great stock.   New ones, just do the spring flip and pull the mag  disconnector safety.   Watch a few youtube videos and then do it in 5 minutes or less.   With no money spent, the triggers on mine run between 1.75 and 2.5 pounds.

I have a longer barrelled older version and newer threaded model with which I use a SilencerCo Sparrow.  

I have both.    Plus, I have a S&W 41.    The 41 is competition pistol straight out of the box .   It is also pure class.   Pistols are not made that way any more.

Link Posted: 6/3/2015 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Well, ended up picking up one of these today for $450 OTD.

Already removed magazine disconnect feature.

ETA: preformed the trigger spring flip mod and the trigger pull is down to 2 pound 2 ounces.  However the trigger is not resetting properly.  Back to factory configuration!

Did the math, it would have cost me just as much to get the stock Ruger 22/45 with added aftermarket components to the same features as the OTB Buckmark.

Now off to find a MRDS!
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 11:40:10 PM EDT
[#20]
I agree with Ameshawki and Slipjett, the commonly available Ruger MkII/III, 22/45 and Browning Buckmarks are hard to beat. Particularly the Ruger can "grow" with your demands by upgrading with VQ parts.

I have over a dozen different rimfire handguns, from a S&W 22A, over Rugers MkII, S&W K-22, Colt OMM, Korths, and Hämmerli 208 and 212. Unless you enjoy top quality high end performance and are willing to pay for it, the Rugers, Buckmark, and 22A will accomodate you very well and the Browning you chose is a solid time-proven gun.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:59:29 AM EDT
[#21]
The reply's are all over the map because when you say "target" .22, that means different things to different people. It really just comes down to your budget? On the lower end you have the Ruger's and Buckmarks which are all fine generally speaking but for even semi serious target shooting they will need some trigger work at minimum.

The S&W 41's (and I assume the High Standards) really are significantly better guns but their price reflects that (I bought mine back before the prices got stupid). If you are serious about target shooting then I think they are worth the extra money but not if you are just doing it casually.

The next step up are the serious high end comp models from companies like Hammerli but we won't even go there

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny, one of my biggest joys was getting rid of my Trailside without taking a lose.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 12:25:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Skip the Neos, try the Ruger with a few Volquartsen mods or go full on Volquartsen...
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6183_zpsae303c40.jpg
View Quote

That is a nice set up. I have a MkII sitting around that would benefit from one of those uppers and be a great host for my son's suppressor. Which barrel length do you prefer for balance?
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well, ended up picking up one of these today for $450 OTD.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/Picture49.jpg

Already removed magazine disconnect feature.

ETA: preformed the trigger spring flip mod and the trigger pull is down to 2 pound 2 ounces.  However the trigger is not resetting properly.  Back to factory configuration!

Did the math, it would have cost me just as much to get the stock Ruger 22/45 with added aftermarket components to the same features as the OTB Buckmark.

Now off to find a MRDS!
View Quote

GREAT Choice. My Buckmark whisper is stupid accurate.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:19:50 PM EDT
[#24]

GREAT Choice. My Buckmark whisper is stupid accurate.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 2:21:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That is a nice set up. I have a MkII sitting around that would benefit from one of those uppers and be a great host for my son's suppressor. Which barrel length do you prefer for balance?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6183_zpsae303c40.jpg

4.5" all the way, the only reason I even have a 6" is because that model was out almost a year before the 4.5". Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/20/2015 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#26]
I have an affection for my Ruger MKII slabside . Its great on the target line or in the field.

Link Posted: 7/14/2015 9:04:18 PM EDT
[#27]

While I love my Buckmark, in the same price range is the S&W with the bull bbl & target grips:

Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:25:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Learn and master iron sights before moving to the dots. I see tons of cheap ( and not so cheap) red dots take a dump on shooters at matches.
Again when someone says "target" is your plan to shoot formal NRA bullseye or steel challenge or something else?
They all have different requirements that may make a gun optic mount etc a better choice for one but not the other.
Link Posted: 7/15/2015 9:38:26 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Learn and master iron sights before moving to the dots. I see tons of cheap ( and not so cheap) red dots take a dump on shooters at matches.
Again when someone says "target" is your plan to shoot formal NRA bullseye or steel challenge or something else?
They all have different requirements that may make a gun optic mount etc a better choice for one but not the other.
View Quote

Informal Bullseye matches is all I will ever compete in.

Had not even had a chance to shoot the Buckmark yet..............

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:30:19 AM EDT
[#30]
the HS Citation was used in IHMSA rimfire, and the M41 for STC... don't get used much today

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:02:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I am a Big Fan of Marvel Precision for NRA Bullseye.

SFC P.
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 6:30:47 PM EDT
[#32]
I know I'll offend the millions of Ruger fanboys but I had a 22/45 that I loved.  

Damn trigger slap drove me crazy.  Ever time I fired it, it would slap the hell out of my trigger finger- to the point where it became painful to fire after a few magazines full.  Most people deny it exists but after I wrote about it a lot of guys wrote back that they experienced it but never mentioned it.  The last round in a magazine slaps the shit out of your trigger finger so after about three or four magazines you've got a bruise on your trigger finger.

Sold it and bought a Buckmark.  I'm a happy camper.

Buckmark Camper, that is.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 10:17:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I am a Big Fan of Marvel Precision for NRA Bullseye.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v314/eaglecp/20150731_130105_zpsszd8fulg.jpg
SFC P.
View Quote

+1

Other pistols claim to have the same grip angle as the 1911. Well, so do these, along with the same trigger, mag well, grips, etc.

" />

The marvels also come with excellent target sights, scope mount, muzzle break, threaded bbl's for suppressors and bbl weights. They also seem to be fairly accurate for the $$$$ without having to replace most of the pieces and parts.

The tricked out rugers are interesting, almost built one myself. Then I decided on the marvel conversion kit. The ruger reminded me of buying a pinto then jacking up the gas cap and putting a vett under it. The deciding factor for me was that I already had a 1911.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#34]
Ruger Mk III is what you want.  Rock solid performance and will last a lifetime.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top