Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2015 12:58:15 AM EDT
*Not worried about the color, just cooling holes design*

I used to have the Fluted black one but now I am getting one but I can't decide..

If you read this far, I will most likely paint the upper OD green.

I know most will say to just pick what I like, but to be honest, I don't like either. The black fluted one looked the best to me but it leaded like crazy. I don't want to get a regular one because I feel it will be too heavy with my suppressor and red dot.

Which 22/45 Lite?

Blue Shark fins

Cobalt, holes

I will get the one with the most votes.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Top rail makes the sale
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I changed my vote to the cobalt once I read you were painting it OD. I don't know why it doesn't come with the rail.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a Fluted Black one.  They look the best out of them all.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

MAHA
View Quote

That is what I used to have. It leads like crazy. I ended up buying the blue fins one.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 6:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I agree. That's why when I found out that model was discontinued and that my local LGS still had a few in stock I had to buy one!

Quoted:
That is what I used to have. It leads like crazy. I ended up buying the blue fins one.

I asked you this in the other thread but will ask it here as well...

Are you sure the leading wasn't an ammo issue? I ask because A. Seems like a lot of people run the 3903 model suppressed and I don't hear many people complaining about it? B. I remember when I had my AA Glock conversion that ran fine until I ran some CCI Blazers through it. No more then 200rds of the Blazers and the barrel was so leaded that the rifling was almost non-existent. That was unsuppressed. Took me a couple of hours of soaking and scrubbing to get that barrel clean. Never had that problem with any other rounds through that upper.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:54:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I agree. That's why when I found out that model was discontinued and that my local LGS still had a few in stock I had to buy one!

Are you sure the leading wasn't an ammo issue? I ask because A. Seems like a lot of people run the 3903 model suppressed and I don't hear many people complaining about it? B. I remember when I had my AA Glock conversion that ran fine until I ran some CCI Blazers through it. No more then 200rds of the Blazers and the barrel was so leaded that the rifling was almost non-existent. That was unsuppressed. Took me a couple of hours of soaking and scrubbing to get that barrel clean. Never had that problem with any other rounds through that upper.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I run suppressed and live in hot Texas. Maybe that's it. I don't know. All I shoot is CCI Blazers. I love that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 2:55:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I run suppressed and live in hot Texas. Maybe that's it. I don't know. All I shoot is CCI Blazers. I love that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

That may just be the unholy trinity at work there! Seriously, have you had any luck running Blazers in any other suppressed gun? I think you had an ammo issue, not a gun issue but that's based on my limited experience with CCI Blazers and I could be wrong?

I just ran 200-300 rounds of CCI Standard and Federal Automatch through my 3903 yesterday with no issues but that was indoors and unsuppressed. Maybe next time I'll run a couple hundred Blazers through it and see what happens?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 4:34:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I used winchester green box subs, cci standard velocity, and Eley Tenex. All leaded. It is not an ammo issue.

Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I used winchester green box subs, cci standard velocity, and Eley Tenex. All leaded. It is not an ammo issue.  
View Quote

Suppressed or not? If it's not ammo related then what is it and why wouldn't it be an issue for all "Lite" models?

ETA - I see you're a Texas boy too. Is this a heat thing or did Texas get a bad batch?
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 7:45:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The inner steel barrel insert contracts and expands at a different rate than the outer aluminum shroud, leaving a pocket or tight spot for lead to build up in.

Rugers' fix for it without admitting a problem was to come out with new pistols with vent holes on the shroud, and give them fancy colors to market them as something new, so no one would ask questions why they discontinued the fluted ones.

They leaded up suppressed and unsuppressed.

I have had a few. Rugers final letter to me said not to use lead ammo and not to use it unsuppressed. .

ETA: I still have a cobalt and want a blue one so don't think I just try to shit on these guns. I really think they are perfect when the work as intended.

ETA2: the cobalt does come with a rail, just not pictured.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Both ugly
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 8:16:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Go blue, you will never go back once you do.
Link Posted: 5/11/2015 10:23:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The inner steel barrel insert contracts and expands at a different rate than the outer aluminum shroud, leaving a pocket or tight spot for lead to build up in.

Rugers' fix for it without admitting a problem was to come out with new pistols with vent holes on the shroud, and give them fancy colors to market them as something new, so no one would ask questions why they discontinued the fluted ones.

They leaded up suppressed and unsuppressed.

I have had a few. Rugers final letter to me said not to use lead ammo and not to use it unsuppressed. .
View Quote

Interesting. I guess I'll see how mine turns out? So far so good but mine is still pretty new and only has ~200rds through it so far. I guess I can always buy a Paclite upper for it if I run into the same issue.

The funny/ironic thing is, I specifically bought this one when I found out it was discontinued because I've wanted one for a while and think both of the new ones are fugly as hell. Well, I could probably deal with the Cobalt one if I Cerakoted black but that blue one is just too damn ugly IMO. To each there own you know?

Anyway. thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 5:48:33 PM EDT
[#15]

Have not seen that as on option. Is it in the case when you buy 1?
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Have not seen that as on option. Is it in the case when you buy 1?

View Quote

Yes, it is in the cardboard box.

Link Posted: 5/13/2015 7:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I had the opportunity to shoot one of the blue, shark gill pistols yesterday and with the rail on top it's a phenomenally well balanced and great pointing pistol; accurate too.

I don't really need another .22 Ruger right now but Fathers Day is coming up.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

That may just be the unholy trinity at work there! Seriously, have you had any luck running Blazers in any other suppressed gun? I think you had an ammo issue, not a gun issue but that's based on my limited experience with CCI Blazers and I could be wrong?

I just ran 200-300 rounds of CCI Standard and Federal Automatch through my 3903 yesterday with no issues but that was indoors and unsuppressed. Maybe next time I'll run a couple hundred Blazers through it and see what happens?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. The main thing is looking down the barrel and seeing thin layers of lead that wouldn't come out.

Keep in mind this was with the black fluted one with no vents.

If you really have a leading problem and wished you would have waited for a vented one (which Ruger should've had in the first place). PM me.

I used to have the black, hot, fluted one. Ended up with a new blue fluted one.  

I love it so far. I might keep it blue, looks flashy XD.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top