Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2015 1:18:43 AM EDT
Here is my 617 ready for 2-gunning and steel challenge.
Added a Burris Fastfire
Got some Jerry Miculek grips
and a Safariland competition holster

617 by usmcchet92_96, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Very cool!

Did you got at the finish with steel wool?
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:32:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I want one of those badly.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 7:38:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Very cool!

Did you got at the finish with steel wool?
View Quote

No kidding...poor revolver.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:02:23 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder what kind of trigger/spring work can be done on these, so as not to effect reliability.
This kind of makes me think, since all of the ruger rimfire matches i have attended, 22 misfires, have changed the outcome in alot of them.Alot of the stages have between 8-10 rounds though, so that may be a problem, these are 8 shot revovers correct?
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 11:50:02 AM EDT
[#5]
10 shot revolvers - my old school blued 17 has such tight chambers ( great for accuracy when I shoot bullseye) that rapid reloading is not happening. Do the ten shot speedloaders work well and allow rounds to fully drop in?
They usually have great triggers ( though it is rare for the younger crowd raised on autos to be able to master them)
And messing with the triggers generally causes ignition trouble. This is not a drop in part plug and play ar rifle.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
10 shot revolvers - my old school blued 17 has such tight chambers ( great for accuracy when I shoot bullseye) that rapid reloading is not happening. Do the ten shot speedloaders work well and allow rounds to fully drop in?
They usually have great triggers ( though it is rare for the younger crowd raised on autos to be able to master them)
And messing with the triggers generally causes ignition trouble. This is not a drop in part plug and play ar rifle.
View Quote

I do some revolver matches with this and yes reloading is not nearly as fast as a centerfire revolver but it can be done. As for trigger work I intend to send it to S&W to do some trigger work and yes I also intend to get it bead blasted to fix the finish which I did scratch up.

I also learned you can bore out the cylinders to make extraction easier ....I think the kit is sold on Brownells
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:09:42 AM EDT
[#7]
If you intend to shoot it in matches you are just going to eventually scratch it up more so any sort of finish work is a ridiculous waste of time and money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2015 9:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]
At this point the finish is compromised and using those holsters in that manner you're going to get some more markings.  Not that big a deal, you have a tool to use, use it.

As far as the steel wooled look.  I would hit with Flitz or mothers every so often, I wouldn't go crazy but I'd slowly polish that out.  Stay away from the writing on it or you'll mess that up.  That's what I'd do FWIW.  Sometimes it's surprising what you can un F with a little thought and care.  The end result may not be perfect but would be less homely.  I would not go all Dr. dremmel with buffing wheels and tips, that's a short trip to making another bad mistake.  Just a little flitz on a cloth and a few minutes every once in awhile.

At least in that condition you can shoot the piss out of it without worrying about value later.  

I like the revolver setup you have.  I have a S&W kit gun and a pre model 17 that I enjoy shooting.  The 17 is classic.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top