Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2014 4:09:15 AM EDT
So I shot a mixture of .22 ammo this past weekend with my suppressed 22/45.

I looked down the bore before i started cleaning and saw lead everywhere,  as well as in the chamber.

The boresnake was no help, so after dozens of passes with a brass brush, igot most of it out.

There is still lead stuck in some places. Any way to get it out?

Remington thunderbolt may have been the culprit..

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#1]
It was not the ammo.
I had this same problem and many others have also.
I pulled 22 grains of lead out after I cleaned it from shooting the first 100 rounds.
Tried some eley tenex and the same thing happened.
I have a long thread on here about my customer service experience with Ruger, which was good. Cant find the thread, but I have letters from when they changed the barrel insert.
They changed the barrel insert and told me not to use lead ammo or shoot subsonic/standard velocity unsuppressed. Which is horseshit.
I sold the gun and was in the market for a buckmark when the Cobalt came out, and came to a conclusion.
The problem is in the two different materials (steel barrel/aluminum surrounding it) heating and expanding/contracting at a different rate.
This is why I believe Ruger came out with their 22/45 Cobalt. Notice how it has the holes to let the barrel cool. They just needed a good marketing gimmick of a
new special color as a selling point, instead of admitting there was a problem with the original.
I got a Cobalt and haven't had a single problem. suppressed/unsuuppressed and with any ammo it works great.
TL;DR It is NOT ammo related
ETA pics of lead and letter and to say plenty of hoppes to soak the barrel in and many many passes with brass brush. It took me over an hour to get mine clean the first time.
" />

most of the lead

" />

Link Posted: 12/2/2014 6:19:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a rexhale threaded barrel and a cobalt. No problems with either. I do remember seeing the thread with the issues.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#3]
GeneralV,

Thanks for your post. I had a feeling that was the issue, such a thin barrel and no cooling. That's stupid what ruger sent you. There is not even much ammo selection right no, on top of that, copper washed ammo is still going to lead, the copper coating is so thin.

I don't really like the look of the cobalt.

I hate having to sell this..

The leading problem was really bad, I still have some in the chamber.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 2:25:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Brownell's has a couple products for bore scrubbing.  One chemical and another a brass screen patch if they have it in .22
I've never used anything but I've seen articles on both a few decades ago.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 2:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn. I really liked the weight of the gun :/

I might sell it to get a standard 22/45 threaded.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#6]
So why isn't this a problem with the TacSol uppers?  Same thing...steel barrel channel shrouded in aluminum.
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 10:59:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So why isn't this a problem with the TacSol uppers?  Same thing...steel barrel channel shrouded in aluminum.
View Quote

I shoot suppressed. So does the guy who replied. Idk if that has anything to do with it. Or climate?

I am in Houston. It's has been like 74 degrees during the day recently. In the summer it's hell.

Link Posted: 12/15/2014 12:01:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I would say it has to do with tolerances between the barrel insert and the outer aluminum.

Not every 22/45 lite does it, but is common enough to understand why.

After Ruger replaced my first barrel, I sold it to a friend who says he hasn't had any problems.
Link Posted: 12/16/2014 9:51:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would say it has to do with tolerances between the barrel insert and the outer aluminum.

Not every 22/45 lite does it, but is common enough to understand why.

After Ruger replaced my first barrel, I sold it to a friend who says he hasn't had any problems.
View Quote

Good point that I didn't take the time to consider.  I have a Lite and have shot it twice with a suppressor, I will definitely have to keep an eye out for any leading.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:59:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top