Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/30/2013 7:53:55 PM EDT
My father-in-law came to me about finding him a .22lr revolver to replace one that he gave to his sister and was subsequently stolen. He has a very nice S&W 30-1 .32S&W revolver that he wants to use to trade with. After seeing that there isn't much demand for anything in .32 S&W it seems about the best I could hope to get out of the Model 30 would be about $350. So, finding him a S&W of any model in .22lr is pretty much out of the question. I've looked at the Charter Arms Pathfinders and the Ruger SP101. I would lean toward the SP101, but it is still fairly pricey. I'm also open to a used gun so long as it's good quality. Double action is preferred, but single action is also OK. Minimum of a 4" barrel. I'm not a fan of Taurus or Rossi.

If I could pull this of by Christmas it would be even better. Recommendations please.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I LOVE my S&W 617.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:19:37 PM EDT
[#2]
No doubt. I had a Model 17 that was a great gun, but I traded it away last year for something else. As I said in the first post a Smith is out of his price range considering what he has to work with.
Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:25:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Ruger single six a year ago, 5.5 inch barrel in stainless.  Nice looking gun and comes with a 22 mag cylinder.  I've shot it a lot and will for many years to come and many many people will shoot it long after I'm gone that's for sure.

Link Posted: 11/30/2013 8:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I bought a Ruger single six a year ago, 5.5 inch barrel in stainless.  Nice looking gun and comes with a 22 mag cylinder.  I've shot it a lot and will for many years to come and many many people will shoot it long after I'm gone that's for sure.

View Quote

+1
I love mine
Link Posted: 12/1/2013 5:40:30 AM EDT
[#5]
At this point there may not be a descent, inexpensive answer to your problem. The J frame 63s are good, but not cheap. The SP101 is also very good, but may need a bit of internal trigger smoothing to achieve all it can be, and the 17s and 617s are terrific, but again, not cheap. I personally stay away from Taurus. They may be ok, but there is so much variability in QA that it is a crap shoot.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 4:59:47 PM EDT
[#6]
If it were me, I would look for a S&W Model 18 in less than perfect condition.
Link Posted: 12/2/2013 6:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Value for dollar, I would go with the Ruger SP101.  

Link Posted: 12/3/2013 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
The SP101 is looking very good indeed. I'm going to see if I can work out a deal with a LGS that I have dealt with in the past.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 3:59:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The SP101 is looking very good indeed. I'm going to see if I can work out a deal with a LGS that I have dealt with in the past.
View Quote

You won't be sorry.  It's a great gun.
Link Posted: 12/5/2013 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Check out the Ruger "New Bearcat" from Lipsey's.

It's about as cool as you can get (single action).

Edit: I guess you won't like the barrel length, but you will like the gun.

I tried to post a picture, but I can't do it.  The new Ruger is called the Shopkeeper.
Link Posted: 12/6/2013 5:46:26 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I LOVE my S&W 617.
View Quote
Same here.  Of all my guns, it is my absolute favorite right now.  Mine is a 6"

Pros:

• 10 rounds!

• More accurate than I am.  

• Absolutely reliable.

• 10 rounds!

• Drop-dead gorgeous.

• Eats everything I've tried.

• As it's basically a 686, it fits and feels as perfect in my hand as any Smith revolver.

• Excellent sights.

• I like the stock grip.  The texture doesn't suit some people.  It works well for me.

• 10 rounds!

• In double action, the trigger is great for a 22LR revolver.  Because it's 22LR, of course it's somewhat heavy.

• In single action, the trigger is sublime.

• They make a speed loader setup for it.  (I haven't gotten one yet.)

• 10 rounds!

• Did I mention it holds 10 rounds?

Cons:

• The new ones have the lock.  (As it is a range gun/plinking gun, it doesn't really bother me.  Plus, it can be removed and plugged.)

• Some people find it to be overly heavy for a 22 revolver.

• Some people find it be overly expensive for a 22 revolver.

Sure it's pricey.  However, it is definitely the kind of gun you could proudly pass on to your kids.

I haven't tried the Ruger yet, so I can't compare the two.  I've had great luck with my Ruger guns though, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

ETA: Picture:

Link Posted: 12/7/2013 9:26:34 AM EDT
[#12]
617's are the cat's meow. If my father-in-law was willing to spend the extra money I'd be looking for a pre-lock model.
Link Posted: 12/18/2013 6:53:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, I ended up buying a very nice, used H&R 939 with a 6" barrel. I've always been wary of less expensive handguns but I was very impressed with the quality and materials of that H&R. Nine shots, double action, adjustable target sights with a vent rib, all steel construction and nice looking walnut grips for well south of $300. To top it all off it's 100% Made in the USA. Much better than a Taurus or Rossi would have been IMO. This was a later model 939 with the transfer bar system. Delivered it to him today and hope he's pleased.
Link Posted: 12/21/2013 7:01:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I just picked up a Ruger SP101 22LR Thursday. Seems to be of high quality.  Won't get to shoot it until after Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/3/2014 7:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]
In .22lr I love the Ruger SP-101 and the S&W model 317 and 63 kit guns (if you want a double action) and the Ruger single six, or even better now, the single ten. Taurus make some nice models as well.

In .22wmrf you can't really beat the Ruger single nine for a single action, and I do like the Taurus model 991 in the double action category.

All of my opinions above are available in (practical) stainless steel as well, although there are also plenty of beautiful and more expensive blued guns to be had, like the S&W model 17 in .22lr and the model 48 in .22wmrf... or you could pick up and old Colt Diamondback on GunBroker, if you have the coin...

There are alot more choices out there, of course. I've just listed a few of my personal favorites.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I ended up buying a very nice, used H&R 939 with a 6" barrel. I've always been wary of less expensive handguns but I was very impressed with the quality and materials of that H&R. Nine shots, double action, adjustable target sights with a vent rib, all steel construction and nice looking walnut grips for well south of $300. To top it all off it's 100% Made in the USA. Much better than a Taurus or Rossi would have been IMO. This was a later model 939 with the transfer bar system. Delivered it to him today and hope he's pleased.
View Quote

Yup, the 939 is a great pistol.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Ruger SP101 22LR for me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 5:18:54 PM EDT
[#18]
The DA 22 market is pretty tough.   It's either the SP 101 or nothing.  Smith makes a very nice DA 22 but as best I can tell production is about six a year with a price to match.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 4:15:17 AM EDT
[#19]
S&W 17 or 617.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Colt Diamondback
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 8:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If it were me, I would look for a S&W Model 18 in less than perfect condition.
View Quote

Yes.

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I am looking for a Ruger Single 10.  Single action, 10 rounds, stainless, Williams fiber optic target sights.  Seems to be well built.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:05:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Smith and Wesson 18.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I like my single six I bought a couple years ago.  I didn't know at the time they made a single 10.  If I were to do it again I would get the 10 round instead.  Otherwise, it's a nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:21:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I like my single six I bought a couple years ago.  I didn't know at the time they made a single 10.  If I were to do it again I would get the 10 round instead.  Otherwise, it's a nice gun.
View Quote

MIdway has a directly swappable 8 shot cylinder for the single six, they also have it for 22mag. Made by Story

22LR

22mag
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 9:41:59 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Pros:

• 10 rounds!
  • Absolutely reliable.
  • 10 rounds!
  • Drop-dead gorgeous.
  • As it's basically a 686, it fits and feels as perfect in my hand as any Smith revolver.
  • Excellent sights.
  • I like the stock grip.  The texture doesn't suit some people.  It works well for me.
  • 10 rounds!
  • In double action, the trigger is great for a 22LR revolver.  Because it's 22LR, of course it's somewhat heavy.
  • 10 rounds!

Cons:

• The new ones have the lock.  (As it is a range gun/plinking gun, it doesn't really bother me.  Plus, it can be removed and plugged.)

Sure it's pricey.  However, it is definitely the kind of gun you could proudly pass on to your kids.

I haven't tried the Ruger yet, so I can't compare the two.  I've had great luck with my Ruger guns though, so I doubt you'd be disappointed with it.

http://imageshack.us/a/img818/3636/zn46.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I LOVE my S&W 617.

Pros:

• 10 rounds!
  • Absolutely reliable.
  • 10 rounds!
  • Drop-dead gorgeous.
  • Excellent sights.
  • 10 rounds!
  • 10 rounds!

Cons:

Did S&W ever make a pre-lock 617 with 10 rounds?
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#27]
I like the J frame smiths.  I have the 34 and the 63.  I collect .22lr pistols though.  I just got the model 63 about a month ago.

Link Posted: 4/17/2014 11:31:28 AM EDT
[#28]
I have a stack of them.  My Taurus 9 shot .22 kit gun is one of my favorites.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:56:13 PM EDT
[#29]
easy answer. A S&W K-22 Masterpiece. Mine has put lots of small game in the skillet. The longer barrel is accurate and points naturally. Very reliable new or used.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 10:17:00 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Hi-Standard Sentinel .22 revolver, it's great. I highly recommend it if you can find one. They came in all sorts of different barrel lengths. I have a 2.38" "Snub", my brother has a 4" "Deluxe".

Can't go wrong with that SP101, either.
Link Posted: 7/4/2014 8:10:11 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm a fan of the Ruger Single Six myself

aside from that, also look at a K-22 (Model 17) or one of the newer 617's
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:57:16 AM EDT
[#32]
colt officers model match one of the finest 22 revolvers made .
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I LOVE my S&W 617.

Pros:

• 10 rounds!

• Absolutely reliable.

• 10 rounds!

• Drop-dead gorgeous.

• Excellent sights.

• 10 rounds!

• 10 rounds!

Cons:

I believe so.

Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:57:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Single Six.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
No doubt. I had a Model 17 that was a great gun, but I traded it away last year for something else. As I said in the first post a Smith is out of his price range considering what he has to work with.
View Quote

Seems like a great thing for a son-in-law to buy for his wife's dad . . .
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 1:07:43 AM EDT
[#36]
It took years for me to find this one, but I finally spotted this 4 screw no dash 17 in a tactical gun store for well less than $300. Was an instantaneous buy. It is a great shooter. Puts a smile on face every time I shoot it.

Link Posted: 9/11/2014 9:29:29 PM EDT
[#37]
This, if you can find one.
http://www.lipseysguns.com/post/Ruger-Single-Six-Stainless-Steel.aspx
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I really like my Single Six 5.5" fixed-sight.

Especially since I can swap cylinders and shoot .22 Mag, which is nice since .22lr can still be spotty to find here.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 2:29:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I'm in love with my Uberti stallion
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 6:58:03 AM EDT
[#40]
When buying revolvers affordably step one is buy used. They have been making them for a century or more. 22's almost never wear out so you are pretty safe there. I try to look for cosmetically challenged blued guns ( once blue gets real thin value takes a dive and this often is carry or storage wear not shooting wear)
The h&r is an inexpensive alternative - you will probably be happy with it .
However I still regularly see smith 22's for under 500 bucks in many shops around my area. I am still a smith man at heart
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 6:43:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I love my single six...  It will be around far along time after I'm done.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:18:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
colt officers model match one of the finest 22 revolvers made .
View Quote

Yep, very nice triggers. Weird thing is, every one I have found have been pretty cheap. This one goes with my .38 special OMM.

[/img]
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats on finding something suitable.  How did your father like it?

CD
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 10:30:55 PM EDT
[#44]
I got the Target model Pathfinder by Charter Arms.

6 shot stainless steel with a blasted finish.

Could use something on the front sight as the blasted finish does not show up sell against the black rear sight for my old eyes.

Saw one brought in to one of my recent classes that was identical except it was a 10 shot, so they must have started making them recently.

Good luck and have fun shooting.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#45]
I only have an LCR 22 but I like it. Only thing that would make it better would be if there were a hammer model available, LCRx 22.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Another vote for a pre-lock 617.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 10:28:58 PM EDT
[#47]
Good USED model 17 smith blue. Can usually be had for around 600 bucks and with your trade can be reduced to the affordable category. A smith IMO blows ruger out of the water
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 4:30:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I lucked in to this one several years ago. .22 LR and .22 mag cylinders. Mfg. 1968
It's a great shooter, but in very nice shape. Crappy picture.
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 7:02:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 12/10/2014 8:18:45 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I only have an LCR 22 but I like it. Only thing that would make it better would be if there were a hammer model available, LCRx 22.
View Quote

I am a total snob . The only real answer to the OPs original question is a S&W 617 (or 17)
I have however been quite impressed with the LCR . Excellent trigger and to me that is the whole ball of wax in a revolver.
If one has a good trigger and takes the time to learn to shoot it the loss of single action function doesn't really mater . About the only time I shoot the 617 in single action is during pistol classes to demonstrate that mode .

I am realistic so I know many folks  can't tie up large chunks of money in something like a 617 but it makes me a bit crazy to see guys in my club
who own 4 or 5 crappy revolvers and then never shoot them because they "can't hit shit with a revolver" For the money they have in those 5 junk Taurus guns they could have bought a nice 617 and 686 .

Buy used , work some overtime , brown bag your lunch or whatever you have to do but buying and selling 5 cheap crappy guns every year is counterproductive . Save your money and buy fewer good guns and you will have more fun every time you go shooting
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top