Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/12/2017 7:25:33 PM EDT
I know A1's came out in the mid 20's, I got to wondering if all the straight 1911's had been converted or retired before war broke out.

I was reading a book (Descent into Darkness: Pearl Harbor, 1941?A Navy Diver’s Memoir) in which salvage divers snuck 1911's out of the sunken Arizona's armory while they working on her and I got to wondering if in low usage applications like on a battleship if they would have been updated or not.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen straight 1911s that had been through WW2 era rebuild but were still in original configuration. Only difference is they were parkerized and had WW2 era Bakelite grips.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 7:53:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Dick Winters of Easy Company fame carried a 1911
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 8:16:21 PM EDT
[#3]
They used both the 1911 and 1911A1. They were VERY short of 1911A1's when WWII broke out, they didn't really get 1911A1 production cranked up until 1941 which is why you see so few earlier ones even though they had gone to the A1 design in 1924. They didn't make many A1's until the war got fired up [rough figure 21-22K before WWII really took off] so the 1911 HAD to be used due to the extremely short supply of the 1911A1 configuration. [1911A1 serial numbers started at 700,000 in 1924]
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 10:07:42 PM EDT
[#4]
The vast majority of 1911 type pistols used in WW2 were likely non A1's until probably late 43 early 44. Those in good shape would have been taken as is with a lot more going through ww2 era and earlier post ww1 rebuild programs. There are even some pictures kicking around of 1911's (not a1's) still in use by special operations personnel very recently
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 12:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, I could see it going either way.  The "upgrade" would be pretty minor with just the safety spur and main spring housing.  So upgrading wouldn't really cost a whole lot in parts or time to make all pistols feel the same.  But with no war and tough economic times there wouldn't be much reason to fix it if it wasn't really broken.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The vast majority of 1911 type pistols used in WW2 were likely non A1's until probably late 43 early 44. Those in good shape would have been taken as is with a lot more going through ww2 era and earlier post ww1 rebuild programs. There are even some pictures kicking around of 1911's (not a1's) still in use by special operations personnel very recently
View Quote
Not sure why they would want to put up with the grip spur that is now almost 100 years out of date but the flat main spring housings have become more popular now for two handed shooting.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 8:30:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cool, I could see it going either way.  The "upgrade" would be pretty minor with just the safety spur and main spring housing.  So upgrading wouldn't really cost a whole lot in parts or time to make all pistols feel the same.  But with no war and tough economic times there wouldn't be much reason to fix it if it wasn't really broken.

Not sure why they would want to put up with the grip spur that is now almost 100 years out of date but the flat main spring housings have become more popular now for two handed shooting.
View Quote
The A1 grip spur wasn't really that big of a deal for as little as they were ever shot, especially after they lengthened it a bit and shortened the hammer. Back then no one ran hundreds and hundreds of rounds of ammo for days at a time thru their pistols training and even today, that isn't happening either except in advanced training beyond most Military Members.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because even special operations units have only a certain degree of flexibility and budget. If you happen to have an old 1911 in your arms locker that works you use it. May not always have time budget or access to parts etc. one of the stranger guns I saw in Iraq was one of the old m79 grenade launchers still being used by an active duty unit. No idea those were still kicking around at all
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:35:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because even special operations units have only a certain degree of flexibility and budget. If you happen to have an old 1911 in your arms locker that works you use it. May not always have time budget or access to parts etc. one of the stranger guns I saw in Iraq was one of the old m79 grenade launchers still being used by an active duty unit. No idea those were still kicking around at all
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't forget that nowadays, pretty much everyone is wearing gloves of some sort and that spur is a totally moot point even for ham fisted gorillas.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 8:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]
most of you have probably seen this on youtube, but just in case... the order of the machining process is interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7XUtgIVo7k
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:40:09 AM EDT
[#10]
I hadnt seen the vid. Thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top