Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 7:41:34 PM EDT
Right now I own Glocks, but I was thinking about getting a 1911 in the near future.  I had a Sig 1911 a few years ago, but it wouldn't run more than two rounds at a time out of a magazine without stopping.  I got rid of it, but now I've got the itch again.

I've got a fairly small budget right now, which could be expanded later in the year.  

I've been wondering if I should buy a RIA for $400-$500 and down the road put some money into it getting a trigger job, and maybe a match barrel installed, or wait and get something closer to $1000 that I could leave as is.

Ultimately, I want something reliable and accurate (reliability being the reason I got rid of the Sig).  What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#1]
RIA is a beater 1911 and doesn't make much sense putting money into it. A nicer 1911 will be nice out of the box and hold it's value better or even increase in value.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
RIA is a beater 1911 and doesn't make much sense putting money into it. A nicer 1911 will be nice out of the box and hold it's value better or even increase in value.
View Quote
I would look for a used something other then a RIA, 1911's run for ever and parts are fairly cheap, refinish is not expensive and you can do it as you go. A used series 70 or 80 Colt for 7-800 would serve you better in the long run. Many other options out there, Ruger's are fine and not expensive. Why start with something that will never have any value?
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#3]
You can get a nice NEW Colt for under $850 near me.

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Results.aspx?pg=bids&id=93861047692047V&zipcode=34972&wh=G
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I would also suggest a Colt.

I scored a new model Colt Commander and 6 magazines for $675 shipped off the EE on this site last week.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would also suggest a Colt.

I scored a new model Colt Commander and 6 magazines for $675 shipped off the EE on this site last week.
View Quote
Nice! How you liking it? I just ordered a new combat commander today and I'm chomping at the bit. I'm hoping that it comes in by the weekend. I'm doubting it but hoping none the less!
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:01:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

https://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/Results.aspx?pg=bids&id=93861047692047V&zipcode=34972&wh=G
View Quote
Those seem to be about $100+ more expensive near me
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#7]
They run about 950-1050 here also.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:31:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice! How you liking it? I just ordered a new combat commander today and I'm chomping at the bit. I'm hoping that it comes in by the weekend. I'm doubting it but hoping none the less!
View Quote
It's still on the way. Will find out Thursday.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:50:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmm. It's not like I live in a big city or anything. Full manufacturer's suggested retail price is only $899
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:22:51 PM EDT
[#10]
My suggestion is to save up to buy a "quality" 1911. Any Dan Wesson will served you well, if you want to spend a bit more Les Baer. Cheap 1911's are IMHO a waste of money.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:42:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My suggestion is to save up to buy a "quality" 1911. Any Dan Wesson will served you well, if you want to spend a bit more Les Baer. Cheap 1911's are IMHO a waste of money.
View Quote
Ha, well there's no way I'm spending $1500+ on a pistol at this point in my life.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Ruger 1911's are very high on the "bang for the buck" scale for a semi-fancy 1911. My full size, stainless runs like a top, is very accurate, and had a fantastic trigger right out of the box.

RIA makes good, reliable, no frills 1911's. I owned a 5" one from there "GI" series for a while, and it never gave me any trouble...........except hammer bite, and the sights were tiny But those are more problems with me, and not the gun. So instead of "upgrading" it, I just sold it and bought the Ruger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 8:57:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a Dan Wesson that I love, but my brother has an RIA gov't model that he loves and swears by. I have never shot it, but when we talk on the phone, he is constantly telling me to go pick one up!

DISCLAIMER: He does live in California, so take that recommendation with a grain of sale!!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 12:02:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I would buy a Colt, Ruger, Springfield Armory (unless you don't like their recent IL choice), Sig, or Dan Wesson.  All seem to be good guns.  I currently own 2 Colts, 1 Ruger Commander, 1 Sig C3, 4 Rock Islands, and 2 Kimbers.  I have owned and sold a Ruger Government Model, Tisas Government Model, 2 Taurus Government Models, Girsan Rail Gun, and a Kimber Grand Raptor.  Rock Islands are good guns but not worth putting money into.  They are great for learning how to do a trigger job, etc.  I found the Tisas and Taurus guns lacking in quality.  The Tisas's plunger tube kept falling off.  The Taurus had very soft internal parts.  I had a barrel that began to curl up on the feed lip.  The other had a soft sear.  Girsan was nice but had weird metric parts.  The Grand Raptor was too fancy and a friend really wanted it ($$$).  I got rid of the Ruger Government model because a friend retired and I gave it to him as a gift.  If I buy another higher end 1911 it will probably be a Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:53:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I think I'm going to pass on Sig.  As much as I lived the look and feel of that pistol, the poor reliability, and shit customer service left a sour taste in my mouth.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 4:16:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Luckily my C3 has been great through 500 rounds.  But I have heard of people not liking Sig's customer service.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:58:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I love my Rock Island GI 1911. It was cheap at $420 and has not let me down once yet. I even buy the cheap mags for it and they have not failed as well. I can shoot much better with it than I can with my plastic Taurus PT111
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 1:02:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I will careful patient searches in shops and on line have bought multiple used colts well under 700 bucks and even a good number under 600. I have had several of the old roll mark 1991's and while not pretty they all functioned very well. I would hold out for one of these. They can be shot and used as is until ready to tinker. Honestly my opinion is buy the basic Colt use as is until you can afford a more semi custom level gun then buy a second gun. To keep in perspective a brand new wesson or Baer can be had in the 1500-2000 range while getting a box stock gun modded to an equal degree is likely to cost about as much or even more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:41:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Another good quality, reliable and accurate 1911 that might be in your budget is the Springfield Armory Range Officer.  

There are a lot of sub $1000 1911s that are well worth owning.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 8:26:05 AM EDT
[#20]
just picked up a springfield armory 1911-A1 stainless in box mint for 460.00 shipped. Just wait for a deal and jump.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:04:01 PM EDT
[#21]
I have two RIA one in 45 and one in 9mm,  they are not a dan wesson but they only cost around 600 each,  I have had no problems with either one,  put 200 rounds through my 45 today,  I will say the 45 has some sharp edges on it,  but other than that they have a lifetime warranty and have a good reputation,  they are made on Colt series 70 machines.  so take that for what its worth.

I dont care for the finish, but to get into a 1911 for cheap and have a pretty decent gun,  I would recommend it,  or you can get a high end pistol have a really nice pistol and have a lighter wallet.

good luck OP,  I would watch some vids on YT and youll see what people are saying about the different brands.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:08:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My rock island had some failures to feed early on, but this summer I took it to a shoot and used Wilson mags and s and b brass ammo, ran like a champ. If someone is just buying a 1911 to have one v a daily carry gun, they seem okay.

My sig is a lot nicer but it was 900 instead of 350
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My rock island had some failures to feed early on, but this summer I took it to a shoot and used Wilson mags and s and b brass ammo, ran like a champ. If someone is just buying a 1911 to have one v a daily carry gun, they seem okay.

My sig is a lot nicer but it was 900 instead of 350
I'm a mid level 1911 snob. I have Dan Wessons and Les Baers. I have found that every time you double the money spent on a 1911 the group size is cut in half.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:22:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm a mid level 1911 snob. I have Dan Wessons and Les Baers. I have found that every time you double the money spent on a 1911 the group size is cut in half.
View Quote
I am in the same boat.  I have an old pre-II Kimber that has been good as well, and a tuned up Norinco.

I wouldn't buy a RIA to fix up, it would be nicer when you got done but you aren't going to get your money back out of it.

For instance, the Norinco I have was upgraded by the previous owner.  Match barrel, upgraded sights, beavertail, thumb safety, trigger, sear, and nicer wood grips along with a bluing job.  I picked it up for $550 and am guessing he had over $1K into it.   It shoots like a dream.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Ruger SR1911.

Here
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 12:38:55 AM EDT
[#26]
I'd recommend saving up for a Dan Wesson Valor if you can, it's really sweet for the money. Or a Dan Wesson Heritage is still pretty nice and cheaper. Or cheaper still Springfield Loaded, or Springfield Range Officer.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Ruger SR1911.

Here
View Quote
Same place has a S&W ESeries for less than $100 more.

The Ruger is a great 1911 for the money but the S&W ESeries is even better.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger SR1911.

Here

My experience wasn't that great.  That's a lot of money for what I got to shoot.

Frame and slide were super loose.  As in the slide could rock side to side 1/16-1/32", it shot over a foot low, and it wasn't that accurate even when we got the POA figured out.

For SR1911 money you'd be better off with a mil-spec springer or colt IMHO.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:48:34 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Rock Island full size and just ordered a Compact yesterday. Have a Springfield, Kimber.  Sold my Colt. Buddy has Sigs he swears by.
Kimbers can be found around $600- $700 .

The Rock Islands are a good pistol. The compacts are in demand.  I couldnt find any near me in stock so I ordered one.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:32:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

My experience wasn't that great.  That's a lot of money for what I got to shoot.

Frame and slide were super loose.  As in the slide could rock side to side 1/16-1/32", it shot over a foot low, and it wasn't that accurate even when we got the POA figured out.

View Quote
That sucks. It sounds like you got a lemon. My SR1911 Night Watchman is fit good (tight) and shoots good.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#32]
You might have just had bad mags in the sig. My gold cup came with a pos 8rd. Once I got some tripps it was perfect.
Had a colt competition that was perfect also but sold it during the rainy season,
Next I either want a colt commander or possibly a dan wesson, maybe one of their 10mm
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:48:23 PM EDT
[#33]
I can't at this time recommend buying a new one due to them being back stabbing bastards. But if you find a USED Springfield Armory, they're solid as can be. My 1911A1 Range Officer has never had a failure in nearly 1,000 rounds fired, most accurate pistol I own as well. The damn thing will even feed an empty case from the magazine to chamber! Try that with your Glock! (I have with my 30S, yeah it's not happening). Mine eats everything I have fed it, that being 180gr semi wad cutter, 180gr FMJ, 230gr, FMJ, 230CPRN, 230JHP, 230 Lead ball and 200gr +P.

Kind of thinking about converting it to 460Rowland, buuut it shoots so well I duno if I want to...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:21:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That sucks. It sounds like you got a lemon. My SR1911 Night Watchman is fit good (tight) and shoots good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely possible.  My experience was a sample size of one.  Still not a great experience.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:56:49 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I have a Rock Island full size and just ordered a Compact yesterday. Have a Springfield, Kimber.  Sold my Colt. Buddy has Sigs he swears by.
Kimbers can be found around $600- $700 .

The Rock Islands are a good pistol. The compacts are in demand.  I couldnt find any near me in stock so I ordered one.
View Quote
My shop does have a new Kimber .38 super commander for $762
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:34:23 AM EDT
[#36]
nothing wrong with RI.  450 bucks gets you an extended beaver tail, nicer trigger, adjustable sights and an ambi safety.  373 gets you a "gi" type 1911.  Never had an issue with mine.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 4:51:17 AM EDT
[#37]
sings "I never knew love....till I bought a 1911....".  Seriously though, it's my favorite semi auto by far.  I love my Glock, my M&P, my Beretta 92A1 (which is pretty high on my list) and others but shooting my 1911 is just the best.  Granted mine's a little on the pricey side at around $1400 at the time (STI Elektra .45acp) and it's a very, very well made gun but any quality 1911 is a sweetheart to shoot in my opinion.  

I also agree with skipping the RIA, there are way too many better guns for decent money out there.  The Ruger SR1911 and it's many Talo exclusive versions are great guns for the money and well worth upgrading if you want to build a higher end gun as you go.  The Colt is always a winner and there are several models available.  Ever since I got my Elektra I've been wanting a full size model but choosing one has been a huge pain since there are so many good guns out there now.  I'd love to have another STI but I'm not going to have that kind of budget again so I'm leaning heavily towards a Colt depending on price.  If not I have no problem with the Ruger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top