Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2017 1:18:12 AM EDT
I am looking to get my first "better" 1911. The first handgun I ever bought was a Rock Island 1911, and I loved that thing. It wouldn't feed hollowpoints very well, or anything that wasn't a perfect ball shaped bullet, but with plain ball it ran like a champ. Sold it for something else and kind of miss it. I'm looking for a pretty plain jane 1911 that will be pretty reliable. I was thinking about stepping up into the bigger names, but don't know where to start. I like the looks of the plain GI style if that helps. Not looking for a hotrod, just something that won't be frustrating at the range and has that oh so sweet 1911 trigger.

I saw that Colt has a 1991 model, that is a basic GI pattern, any word on how well these things stack up? How do they differ from a regular 1911A1? Any recommendations for that sub $800 range or do I need to be looking in the 1100 and under range?
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I know some with bitch yet I have a Remington R1 that had a minor issue that some polishing fix. It would lock open before last round fed on both OEM mags. Polished the slide like just a tad and no more issues. I got it used but not shot for about $550ish. Shoot good for me since when I got it I hadn't shot in 15-20 years yet last time I took it out grouped good.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:37:25 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a 1991 compact model back in the day. It was nice, shot fine, wish I still had it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 8:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
the 1991 pistols had mixed reviews, mixed satisfaction and didn't save colt from bankruptsy...
first use of plastic parts for mass production that I am aware of but, I'm an idiot cook..
finish was meh, rough spots where they were usually polished. I had two, one worked great
the other had some FTE issues.

if you want a base gun to build up on, the steel was fine if I recall and a good start to do a complete custom.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 9:06:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Get another RIA? If it doesn't feed send it back they will fix it quickly
Springfield Mil-Spec (Fuck Springfield)
Ruger SR1911
Remington R1 ( Currently has a $100 mail in rebate )

I personally hate GI sights.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#5]
s&w
ruger

Used Springfield armory & Colt 70 series
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 1:19:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The new 1991's are excellent. They are much nicer from the 1990's parkerized 1991's. I would suggest picking one up for what you are looking for. I'm quite happy with the new 1991 I carry. The new ones have a very nice brushed blue finish unlike the old rough parkerized finish. The new guns are made on modern CNC machines and have tighter tolerances.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top