Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2017 9:27:49 PM EDT
I've had 3-4 failures to lock back with 1 of my $8 cmp magazine. It was marked and all following malfs were with that mags. It's now trashed.

Today I was testing out a box of federal hsts.

Besides absolutely horrible accuracy I got one failure to feed with a cmc powermag. I was surprised that after almost 2k rounds I get a malf with with hsts.

I get great accuracy and no malfunctions with my 9s.

Just my CSB story for the day
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 12:24:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Take it out of the trash & use some Flitz powder on the mag follower, to smooth rough edges.

Polish the feed lips while you are at it;  not too much polishing, hard to get those metal shavings back on...
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 10:12:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Take it out of the trash & use some Flitz powder on the mag follower, to smooth rough edges.

Polish the feed lips while you are at it;  not too much polishing, hard to get those metal shavings back on...
View Quote
I tossed it last week.

Mags are disposable, especially surplused mags.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I carry HST's in 9 and .45 and FWIW, I seem to shoot better groups with the 9mm HST than I do with .45.  What kind of 1911?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I carry HST's in 9 and .45 and FWIW, I seem to shoot better groups with the 9mm HST than I do with .45.  What kind of 1911?
View Quote
Springfield loaded.

I went back and shot another 50 during a studying break. Last night I switched back to my pachymer grips to see if using a little slimmer grip might help my group.

It did. It's not as good as I can do with this gun but it was centered and close to my standard.

No malfunctions today. Maybe another 100 and I'll feel a little better.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 4:28:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, they are disposable.  I've always been able to get mine to function properly.

Sad to think about the untold thousands of M1911A1 & 20 Round M16 USGI mags that went to the dumpster.

More sad is thinking about how many I could have had FREE.  I only saved one USGI 20, and gave that one away.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yes, they are disposable.  I've always been able to get mine to function properly.

Sad to think about the untold thousands of M1911A1 & 20 Round M16 USGI mags that went to the dumpster.

More sad is thinking about how many I could have had FREE.  I only saved one USGI 20, and gave that one away.
View Quote
Nope, not sad at all. Infact I think scraping mags is my patriotic duty.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:14:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've been issued an equal amount of absolute crap mags that should have been scrapped but instead had plier marks and issued to me.

No thanks. 3-4 malfs with one mag and it gets crushed and tossed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 9:15:23 PM EDT
[#9]
That makes sense.

The Mags I am sad about being discarded for the most part had nothing wrong with them.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:07:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I've tossed many a Wilson 47D that probably just needed fresh springs.  My 7 round Checkmates with +p springs seem to last forever.  Recently grabbed a few ETM's with the longer tube, time will tell on those.

ETA:  YMMV, this is just my experience, I'm not knocking 47D's if they work for you.  Added for the sake of avoiding a religious mag war :P
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Other than being a bit more difficult to load my CMP mags have been great.. Only have 20 and wishing it was january 1st 2018.....
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 9:29:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Other than being a bit more difficult to load my CMP mags have been great.. Only have 20 and wishing it was january 1st 2018.....
View Quote
My other 9 have been perfect. I'll order another 10 next year
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:38:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I've tossed many a Wilson 47D that probably just needed fresh springs.  My 7 round Checkmates with +p springs seem to last forever.  Recently grabbed a few ETM's with the longer tube, time will tell on those.

ETA:  YMMV, this is just my experience, I'm not knocking 47D's if they work for you.  Added for the sake of avoiding a religious mag war :P
View Quote
Wilson will fix or replace worn out mags.  I always thought it was the whole selling point of their mags.  I tried the ETM +p mags when they first came out.  They were ok, one caused a stone-cold reliable Colt I had to have it's first FTFe and I was kinda miffed about that.

How do make a Check-Mate last long??

I tried the FBI spec mags with plastic base plates that broke off after a few slide lock reloads and their welded base mags would constantly need to be rebent from slide lock reloads.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using CMC Powermags for years, but I will get an occasional inertia feed stoppage with them using carry ammo (HST and Gold Dot). All my Powermags have Tripp Super 7 guts because of this.
Top Top