Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2017 6:20:48 AM EDT
I am thinking of getting one of these to drop into my SS XSE....

How much fitting is generally required?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#1]
About 4 light swipes from a file
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
great...now, what file?  what i need i probably dont have.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:49:39 AM EDT
[#3]
All quality 1911 safetys are hand fit

if you're gonna start playing with 1911's you need tools like files.

they are not like legos, glocks and ar15's

Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:32:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote
hand fitting, files, clamps, solid table to work on, and PATIENCE and the ability to pay for a second part when you screw up the first..

I went from tinkering with old already dicked up colts, auto ordnances, an early springfield to building 3 of my own with Caspian frames, Wilson and or Brown parts, sold two, kept the third..that is fitted for a Government, commander or officer slide upper, full railed receiver, that is also a 5" Wilson .22 conversion host. Have fun, welcome to the sickness
Chef
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:55:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
i dont expect them to be...  but thanks for letting me know a 1911 is not a lego set.

now, if someone could suggest a file, or files for this project that would be great.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what I use.

Grobet Needle Files

I bought mine at an estate auction for a buck....

Many other less expensive options are available.
You'll also want a roll of fine emory cloth.  I use 400 grit. Tear off strips and use the files as a backer.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#8]
How much fitting is an almost impossible question to answer as there are simply too many variables. You might get lucky and have it drop right in or it could be an hour of trial and error tinkering
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#9]
I have about three dozen files. From little needle files, up to an 18 inch lathe file.  Some are special purpose, like the trigger track file and the ones I've ground safe edges on or narrowed down for a particular job. I could use any of them to fit the thumb safety.  Which file you use just isn't that critical.

Where you file and how much, is.

A good place to start would be to go to a real hardware store and find a Made in USA, Nicholson 6 inch mill bastard. And a handle.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 11:37:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
About right in my experience. Small, flat, hand fitting fine file. Be willing to test fit a few times and make the passes light so that you don't remove too much material.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

A good place to start would be to go to a real hardware store and find a Made in USA, Nicholson 6 inch mill bastard. And a handle.
View Quote
Does Nicholson still have a USA manufacturing facility?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:29:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Beats me.  I know the last one I bought was stamped "Made in USA" but who knows how long it had been on the shelf.  I would still try for it though.

I would certainly avoid the Stanley, etc. stuff that is ashamed to admit where they are made and WalMart junk.

Probably wouldn't matter for the few strokes on a safety, but with 1911s, things escalate! Lol!
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I find the little safe sided Kart barrel fitting file is excellent for things like safety fitting.  Probably more than you'd want to spend, though.  An ignition point file is a cheaper, inferior substitute.

http://www.avantlink.com/click.php?tt=cl&pw=55963&ctc=j1jr2dfa5s00zk8a00y51&mi=10077&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brownells.com%2Fgunsmith-tools-supplies%2Fhandgun-tools%2Fbarrel-tools%2Fbarrel-fitting-tools%2Fxact-fit-tool-kit-prod24734.aspx
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]
lookup MosinVirus on you tube

hand fitting safety 1911
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:33:35 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have about three dozen files. From little needle files, up to an 18 inch lathe file.  Some are special purpose, like the trigger track file and the ones I've ground safe edges on or narrowed down for a particular job. I could use any of them to fit the thumb safety.  Which file you use just isn't that critical.

Where you file and how much, is.

View Quote
When I work on guns I take my bastard file and lock it up with my Dremel cutting wheels.

I usually stick to diamond files in the 200, 400, 600, 800, 1200 grit range. Most of the work is done with the 400.

I'm a YouTube certified gunsmith though, so I go slow and test fit often.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top