Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2017 2:15:23 PM EDT
So I have an ambi and managed to grip it off center, which made the slide 'pop' it off while firing.

I put both ends back together and it seems to run fine outside of a little bit of park being removed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:36:32 PM EDT
[#1]
There are two types of ambi safeties, one retained by the grip and one retained by the hammer pin.  

Which type do you have?

In either case, if it popped off, the union where the two halves meet is probably hogged out and the entire assy needs replacement. 

When I put together a 1911, I don't like extended safeties.  This is the type I like, Mueschke:

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are two types of ambi safeties, one retained by the grip and one retained by the hammer pin.  

Which type do you have?

In either case, if it popped off, the union where the two halves meet is probably hogged out and the entire assy needs replacement. 

When I put together a 1911, I don't like extended safeties.  This is the type I like, Mueschke:

http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb144/p51mustang36/oacp006.jpg
View Quote

It's held on like that, and it's the other side that popped off.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:11:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Pull it apart and take a close look at both halves.  I bet you need to replace the whole thing.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#4]
How could the slide catch the thumb safety?
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 3:39:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How could the slide catch the thumb safety?
View Quote

The web of my hand was putting upward pressure on the safety, just enough to cause it to contact the slide. It it the rear grooves/lines and caused it to pull apart from the look of it.

I'm more worried that it might hurt accuracy. I'm not sure how it would as I don't think it hit anything that relates to it.

But ARF is home of the pros so I wanted to ask to make sure.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:47:26 PM EDT
[#6]
You should be plenty fine....it's not like you had the gun fire with the safety ON.  You'd have a few more concerns than accuracy if that happened.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 3:26:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So I have an ambi and managed to grip it off center, which made the slide 'pop' it off while firing.

I put both ends back together and it seems to run fine outside of a little bit of park being removed.
View Quote

I'm no expert but whether a safety is present or not should have 0% to do with accuracy. Barrel/bushing fit is going to be the majority of where your accuracy comes from.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 6:30:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Wow.  Never heard of this before.

But, if the blade/slot ends are messed up/loose you can feel it by moving the right side safety between SAFE and FIRE.  You'll feel it move, without it moving the left side safety.  I had one like that (new out of the box) once.  I took it back apart, lightly tapped the slotted end with a hammer on the flat spot on the bench vise and tightened it right up.  Never came loose again.

It worked, I just didn't like that sloppy/loose feel when moving the right side safety.

Good luck with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top