Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2017 12:12:44 PM EDT

Les Baer built on a Strayer Voigt frame.  Found it on Gunbroker.

These were a special non-catalogued run requested by Contemporary Firearms Inc. of Ft Worth, TX in 1997-1998.   The first 8 of the run were built with special ordered serial numbers beginning with CFI.  The CFI logo was etched on the slides.  Later, 20 more guns were built on an additional 20 frames as Premier IIs.   Standard SV serial numbers were used.   A call to Baer's office resulted in the information that this particular gun was built in January 1998.   This one came with 4 SV mags and 1 STI mag.

The slide, barrel, and a couple of small parts are marked with the last 3 digits of the frame SN (common practice on Baers.)  The frame has a Wilson-Nowlin ramp, so it's obviously one of the earlier ones.  I don't know exactly when they switched to the Clark-Para ramp but this is my only SV frame that doesn't have one.  

Anyway, the gun is in great shape and hasn't been shot much.  Lockup is not nearly as tight as LBs traditionally are, and the slide stop is relatively un-peened so I have to assume it was built this way at the factory.  It was sprung absurdly light in my opinion, probably a 14 pound recoil spring and a 15 pound mainspring.   I replaced the springs with a 16 pound recoil and 23 pound mainspring.  This induced the hammer to fall to half-cock when dropping the slide on an empty chamber despite generous trigger pre-travel, so I pulled out the sear and hammer.  The sear primary angle had been reduced to about 0.010" in width, was rather rolled over, and was probably jarring out of the hammer hooks when the slide was dropped.  I don't know if this was done at the factory or later.  I've never seen Baer cut a sear like that, so who knows.  I recut it to about 0.030" in width and the problem went away.  The trigger is at 4 pounds and later I may lighten it just a bit.  

How does it shoot?  As well as I'd hoped.  I put about 120 of my reloads through it and never suffered a malfunction.   Ejection was positive and consistent at 4:00 or so.  I will say that my tighter fit Baers seem to shoot into a smaller hole than this one, but not by a whole lot.  

This target was 10 rounds, two hand unsupported at 20 yards.  I didn't have a bench available for sandbagging it, but the group would tighten up a hell of a lot more if I had.

One or two of the SV mags don't always quite drop free, wanting to stick just a bit in the magwell.  I can fix that with a bit of judicious squeezing in a vise.   STI mag worked fine.

Conclusion: I'm ecstatic to have one of these in my collection.  I am a big fan of both Les Baer and Strayer Voigt and when I first found out that a hybrid existed, I knew I had to have one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Cool find.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
That is really nice.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
that looks wonderful
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 3:48:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Very cool!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice job...what a great find!
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Verry nice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top