Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2017 3:43:30 AM EDT
Nice to have something else to obsess over.  I

've heard this term thrown around before, but it never really occurred to me to check any of my 1911's for this "issue".  I finally got around to doing so last night however.

Thoughts?

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:49:03 AM EDT
[#1]
How much did it cost?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How much did it cost?
View Quote

the pistol?  just over 9 bills...Colt S70 repro
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:01:38 AM EDT
[#3]
How does it shoot? That's all that really matters...

Toad
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:06:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I still have no idea what you are talking about.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I still have no idea what you are talking about.
View Quote

you're better off...especially if you have OCD.

have not yet shot it...hopefully that will end today.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:38:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

you're better off...especially if you have OCD.

have not yet shot it...hopefully that will end today.
View Quote

I'm glad I can't see anything off.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:26:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I can see it. I don't guess it can be fixed without losing the rollmarks.

You're gonna make me check mine.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 1:09:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I can see it. I don't guess it can be fixed without losing the rollmarks.

You're gonna make me check mine.
View Quote

lol..the more i look, the more i see it from the front, but i dont see the rear being off...
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Agree if it runs well and is accurate this is a non issue. Some people are way too OCD! I have never examined a pistol close enough to notice such insignificant anomalies. When the guns is shot and the slide is moving back and forth it won't matter
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:00:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The only thing you should be looking at is the clear tip of the front sight through a blurry rear sight.  . David
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I have OCD and it's one of the things that drives me crazy about 1911s (especially Colts). I would not recommend that you look down the side at the straightness (or lack thereof) of the top of the flat. You've been warned.

At least your rear sight isn't as bad as this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:44:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

the pistol?  just over 9 bills...Colt S70 repro
View Quote

My experience tells me you either have to spend a lot more money or get lucky to get excellent fit.........

Two choices if it shoots good just be happy and try to wear it out or dump it if it bothers you that much.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 6:49:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have OCD, and that would bother me too if my gun hobby included sitting around examining every dimensional detail of my collection.

Luckily I buy my guns to shoot them . . .
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 8:51:14 PM EDT
[#15]
That appears to be the right handed CCW version of the tactical combat sight.  Left edge melted for right hand IWB users.  I assume you paid extra for that custom treatment.

Quoted:
I have OCD and it's one of the things that drives me crazy about 1911s (especially Colts). I would not recommend that you look down the side at the straightness (or lack thereof) of the top of the flat. You've been warned.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG-1061-164417.JPG
View Quote
  David
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My experience tells me you either have to spend a lot more money or get lucky to get excellent fit.........

Two choices if it shoots good just be happy and try to wear it out or dump it if it bothers you that much.
View Quote

nah Im good with it.  It had never even occurred to me check for this until I saw a post on 1911forum where one of the posters said they purchased several SS S70's before they found one that had even flats..than my OCD kicked in and started looking at mine...Im not even sure mine have an issue or that much of an issue to be honest.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:10:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
That appears to be the right handed CCW version of the tactical combat sight.  Left edge melted for right hand IWB users.  I assume you paid extra for that custom treatment.

David
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/2261/IMG-1061-164417.JPG
  David

LOL I thought the exact same thing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:13:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Your bushing is turned a little off center..... you had better fix that.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#19]
That is why I will not buy a factory Colt sight unseen.   I have run across some crazy shit on Colts fresh out of the box.

ETA:

I'm not sure if the flat is uneven or if the ball cut is in the wrong place on one side.  It looks OK from the rear.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:36:14 PM EDT
[#20]
I love how the Colt owners justify defective machining on their $1000 pistols.  Personally, I wouldn't accept a defective slide (or rear sight, or anything else, cosmetic or not for that matter) on a pistol that costs half as much.  When you can get a pistol that looks and shoots like the S&W E-Series 1911 for $800, there just isn't ANY excuse for Colt.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That is why I will not buy a factory Colt sight unseen.   I have run across some crazy shit on Colts fresh out of the box.

ETA:

I'm not sure if the flat is uneven or if the ball cut is in the wrong place on one side.  It looks OK from the rear.
View Quote

I do believe you're correct.

The barrel bushing appears to be closer to the right ball cut as opposed to the left.

I think the ball cut was milled higher on the right side than on the left.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

The barrel bushing appears to be closer to the right ball cut as opposed to the left.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA:

you guys are good...using a straight edge this does seem to be the case.  I also can't believe Im being this OCD...

As to the post above this one about buying colts sight unseen...It really is a crapshoot.  I know of a guy who went through "a few" of these SS S70 models before finding one he was happy with.   I have a GCNM I am selling because it showed up with some bluing issues that i didn't notice until after I was out of the gun shop.  I didn't want to send it in (its just easier for me to sell and accept the loss) so I just bought a replacement hoping it has no issues.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:14:56 AM EDT
[#23]
With all the good options out there now, I have no use for Colt anymore.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 6:22:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With all the good options out there now, I have no use for Colt anymore.
View Quote

+1

I really wanted a Colt but after looking a bunch of them over at a few different shops I decided I didn't need a Colt.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#25]
I'm not seeing any problem with the pistol pictured.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:09:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
the more i look, the more i see it from the front
View Quote

Stop pointing your gun at your face and everything will be OK.

Seriously that is pretty wonky.  I know if it were mine, it would be one of those things that I could never un-see.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 12:08:16 PM EDT
[#27]
I've seen that same thing on expensive semi customs from the "name" makers.

Not such a big deal on a 900 dollar 1911, but on a big name semi custom I'd be pissed.

Lots of bad ball cuts out there these days.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:58:36 PM EDT
[#28]
OP, I certainly see what you are saying about the ball cuts. I'm about half as OCD as you, thankfully! And while I admit I certainly would have noticed that if it was my Colt... but it isn't bad enough that I would trade it being a sub $1K pistol. If it was a DW or a Nighthawk I'd probably go throw it at them. Barring that, shoot the shitt out of it as that's what Colt's do best. But I do see what that would bother you... I have a vintage 1983 Colt "Agent" in .38Special that is the tightest locking action, most accurate, smoothest trigger pull, etc... However, when they installed the barrel... it is canted to the right a little bit. Although it doesn't affect function at all I admit, I've thought about selling it...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top