Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/5/2017 12:58:27 PM EDT
So I figure it's time for me to go back to daily 1911 concealed carry. After learning my lesson previously with the American Classic Commander and it's refusal to run more than half of a magazine before jamming in some random way (though it did give me plenty of practice with malfunction drills on the 1911) I want something with a little more umph than the Bersa Thunder 380 which was my summer carry gun due to it's size and proven reliability. So I figured I would actually spend real money on a Lightweight Commander with Bobtail. Mainly so I could carry it all year round without worrying about hiding it under a jacket or hoodie.

Which leads me to these two pistols.

S&W SW1911SC E-Series

and

Dan Wesson Guardian

I'm kind of leaning towards the S&W but at the same time I know you guys rave over the Dan Wesson pistols. So I come to you guys asking for a reccomendation.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally If I had to choose between those two I'd choose the DW.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I was 1911 shopping yesterday.

Handled both extensively.

It may not be the "better" gun but i like the S&W.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 6:50:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#4]
i have a 1911sc it is one accurate and light and have fired a few thousand rds through it and have had no issues if fact it just gets better.sw gets my vote.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:16:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Dan Wesson all day everyday....
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
As much as I like Smith & Wessons, my only experience with one of their 1911s was colored by a loose ejector.  In contrast, my DW ECO is rock solid and the fit and finish are far superior.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 10:51:04 PM EDT
[#7]
I would also agree, hands down Dan Wesson for sure.

The S&W E Series is a good value to be sure, it is more
for those looking for a first 1911 pattern pistol with
a lot of features for the price that is a USA made
piece.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/7/2017 6:22:28 PM EDT
[#8]
my 1911sc is light enough to carry , I have over 5k rounds through mine and it used to be my hunting sidearm (rain, mud, sand, swimming in rivers always reliable) I will put my 1911 up against any one of my glocks for reliability any day of the week. The best feature is S&W nailed it on the external extractor after mags the extractor can be your nemisis which won't be the case with the smith.

I have the dan wesson razorback and yes they are a better quality of pistol but the scandium s&w 1911 is easy to carry and abuse and if your going to carry it you have to be willing to abuse it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I would go with the S&W as well, weight is everything. Smith is a great 1911 and so is Dan Wesson, not an easy call but for everyday carry the Smith.
Link Posted: 3/8/2017 10:52:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dan Wesson all day everyday....
View Quote
Yep no brainer. 
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 5:17:29 AM EDT
[#11]
I shot a S&W 1911Sc with frangible ammo in a training class.  I had just bought the gun and brought it as a 3rd spare.  It shot nice with low grain bullet at high velocity.

The Smith didn't feel solid in my hand.  This was a production gun with smaller Novak sights - I want full size .45 sights.  The grip safety and manual safety - Felt Mushy.  My safety has to Snap On/Off.  Plus, the grip safety has an odd radius; no replacing it.  Sold it and bought a CLW

I'd like to see if an Al/Sc frame pistol will survive 100K.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:24:39 PM EDT
[#12]
the smith comes with a lifetime warranty if something breaks S&W has great customer service.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
For what the OP wants the gun for, the S&W would be a good choice overall.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#14]
If you go through enough of these comparison threads you'll discover DW is the consensus choice among non-custom 1911s by about a ten to one ratio. The fit and finish is actually comparable to some of the full customs, and the accuracy isn't far enough off to be a factor for most shooters.

You'll probably pay a couple of hundred dollar premium for the DW, but the next step up is very often thousands.  

Check out 1911 Forum.com if you really want to get into the nitty-gritty.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:12:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Why not just get both.

While it's not a Guardian, The DW is the superior pistol.  The SC is more of a part of the EDC rotation, for me atleast
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:00:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Why not just get both.

While it's not a Guardian, The DW is the superior pistol.  The SC is more of a part of the EDC rotation, for me atleast
View Quote

So if your choosing to carry a inferior pistol.

I'm assuming it's inferior in fit and finish? anything else?
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 4:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't feel it's inferior.  It functions flawlessly and is respectively accurate. Hence the reason it's in the rotation.

On the other hand, the DW is considerably higher priced.  So if the need ever arises that I have to actually use my carry weapon, I'm not going to cry that any of the less pricey firearms I own will need to spend some time in an evidence locker until the judgment is passed and I get it back.

I bought the DW new, but most of my carry pieces were purchased used (including the S&W). The less of my money sitting somewhere that I have no control over it, the better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2017 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the S&W Sc Commander. It is very accurate and has been reliable with everything that I have fed it. It is easy to carry in
a good quality custom holster and carry belt. Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 4:44:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
the smith comes with a lifetime warranty if something breaks S&W has great customer service.
View Quote
A friend bought a beautiful S&W E-series 1911sc - had a trigger problem where the hammer would fall to half-cock sometimes after dropping the slide a few times.  S&W returned it with the same problem on the first try, then screwed up the trigger pull on the second, then replaced the whole thing, but the 2nd pistol had the same hammer-drop problem - after which he gave up and bought a Dan Wesson (which is pretty danged nice, I'll tell ya).  That being said, I have a full-size S&W E-series 1911TA, and it is not only gorgeous, but functions perfectly (I've tried to make it fail in the same manner with no luck - thank gawd) and has a typically S&W phenomenal trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top