Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
Hi all, bought a Kimber Ultra Carry Special Edition, new at Cabelas yesterday.  Took it out today and every 4-5 rounds, the slide stop engages during recoil while firing, locking the slide back as if the mag is empty.  It did this with 220 grain critical defense, 230 grain federal ball and 230 grain American Eagle ball.  I fired 20 rounds, 100 rounds and 100 rounds, respectively and disassembled and cleaned between each and it kept doing it.  My fingers were not near the slide stop.  Any advice?

I noticed the slide stop does not have a detention for the detent pin to engage, its smooth on the end.  Is that normal?

Thanks all, I'm new to the 1911 platform.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#1]
It's more than likely your support hand grip engaging the slide stop thru the recoil impulse.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:44:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Must be new. You bought a Kimber. Buy a replacement stop from Brownells and see if that helps. Cheaper and quicker than giving it back to Kimber.

Edit: replace the spring and detent also just to be safe. Only a couple more dollars. Maybe Cabelas will let you trade it for a Springfield. Sorry,  but I've heard to much about Kimber. 
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Must be new. You bought a Kimber. Buy a replacement stop from Brownells and see if that helps. Cheaper and quicker than giving it back to Kimber.
View Quote

I bought the Wilson Bullet Proof slide stop directly from Wilson, but I believe Brownells sells it too.  Fixed my issue on my Concealed Carry II.  Believe it was around $40.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#4]
The slide stop is just not fitted correctly. The rounds in the magazine are engaging the slide stop. Look at the slide stop in the gun I bet there is a copper mark on it from the bullets contacting it. Where that copper mark is file a little it off reinstall slide stop with the slide off. Check with loaded magazine I generally push the rounds forward slightly as they have a tendency to do that when firing. Slide the mag up and down and look for contact with slide stop. When it stops hitting you are done and slide won't lock back mid magazine. You don't need a new slide stop unless you file to much off.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:56:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like this is a common issue then, I'll try the aftermarket stop suggested.  

It's a beautiful gun I'd like it to work.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The slide stop is just not fitted correctly. The rounds in the magazine are engaging the slide stop. Look at the slide stop in the gun I bet there is a copper mark on it from the bullets contacting it. Where that copper mark is file a little it off reinstall slide stop with the slide off. Check with loaded magazine I generally push the rounds forward slightly as they have a tendency to do that when firing. Slide the mag up and down and look for contact with slide stop. When it stops hitting you are done and slide won't lock back mid magazine.
View Quote

Ok I'll check this first thanks!
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 6:01:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Check what I said changing a slide stop isn't as easy as dropping it in. Most of the time anyway. The pin that goes through needs to be fitted. Kimber slide stops are usually undersized at the pin for a drop in fit. Wilson or like part will be bigger in diameter from package. This can cause lockup issues. It will also need to be fitted inside the magwell like the one you have now. Atleast most of the time they do. Try my fix before buying a new slide stop chances are that's the issue. Some bullets make this issue more command then others due to the billet profile also.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Check what I said changing a slide stop isn't as easy as dropping it in. Most of the time anyway. The pin that goes through needs to be fitted. Kimber slide stops are usually undersized at the pin for a drop in fit. Wilson or like part will be bigger in diameter from package. This can cause lockup issues. It will also need to be fitted inside the magwell like the one you have now. Atleast most of the time they do. Try my fix before buying a new slide stop chances are that's the issue. Some bullets make this issue more command then others due to the billet profile also.
View Quote

I see the mark on the stop where the rounds are hitting it and I will file a bit.  It will be Saturday before I have a chance to shoot and file some more but I will report back.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem replacing parts isn't always the correct answer I have seen this dozens of times in the past and knew that was the issue and an easy and free fix.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a beautiful gun I'd like it to work.
View Quote

Yup, you bought a Kimber.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No problem replacing parts isn't always the correct answer I have seen this dozens of times in the past and knew that was the issue and an easy and free fix.
View Quote

Well it took a few rounds of firing, stripping, filing a little more, etc. but I got it to work, thanks for the tip!  I got 600 rounds with no malfunctions with three different ammo brands.

Really appreciate it.

Disappointed in Kimber for putting out such a silly flaw for what you pay for them.

I'll say this though, it shoots like a dream, very little recoil for a 3 inch .45 and it's stunningly accurate at 20 yards.  

I'm happy with it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 12:23:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, Kimber's aren't known for quality. Just prettiness.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:05:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Well let's look at this another way.
Bashing Kimber is OK, but the gun is under warranty.  You still might want them to fix it under warranty.
I have owned lots of mfg 1911s.  I did have a problem with a new Ultra in 9mm.  Sent it back.  The Ultra would not lock back on last round, had nothing but FTE.  Kimber took six weeks to fix it (free) and they tuned the extractor, reamed and polished the bbl and worked on the mag.  It works great now.
I have another Ultra that runs like a raped ape.  Love it.
Also have a Desert Warrior that is amazing.
Have a Colt XSE LW in 9mm that is great and a custom Springer.
So just let Kimber make it good.
You will probably be happy.
No mfg is perfect.  
I have had Springfields and Colts that had issues.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Well it took a few rounds of firing, stripping, filing a little more, etc. but I got it to work, thanks for the tip!  I got 600 rounds with no malfunctions with three different ammo brands.

Really appreciate it.

Disappointed in Kimber for putting out such a silly flaw for what you pay for them.

I'll say this though, it shoots like a dream, very little recoil for a 3 inch .45 and it's stunningly accurate at 20 yards.  

I'm happy with it.
View Quote

No problem glad I could help..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top