Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/24/2016 11:44:03 PM EDT
Guy locally offered me a 1911 in trade,I was mildly interested when he sent the first pic, but I know little about 1911s so asked for more pics.
He sent a few then the last one showed the serial number has been scratched off...

He stated it happened sometimes when soldiers brought them home.
Anyway,here are the pics,is it worth anything beyond a possible criminal record.LOL

Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:55:44 PM EDT
[#1]
ATF has a procedure to re-stamp a serial number -- either the original or a newer .gov-assigned "X" number.

The guy who actually defaced the serial number committed a crime (although I'd have to check if a misdemeanor or felony).  Not sure if carrying around one with the defaced serial isn't an offense as well.

Colt's early practice was to stamp the serial of the frame on the slide (which you see where the firing pin stop usually sits) -- but there's no way to confirm the number on the slide is original to the frame.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Looks nice.  What value is he putting on it?
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Straight trade for my MP15 Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:16:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Straight trade for my MP15 Tactical.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Wouldn't touch a gun without a serial number on it.. IMO the value is worth couple years in the fed pen.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Wouldn't touch a gun without a serial number on it.. IMO the value is worth couple years in the fed pen.
View Quote

Yup, I'd pass.

https://www.atf.gov/file/58506/download
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
What a shame.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:28:40 AM EDT
[#8]
the circular symbol left of the grip does not look like a colt trade mark

It looks like a Springfield Armory Trademark.

So it looks like a Colt slide on a Springfield Armory frame
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:45:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

SA didn't make 1911A1 frames, it's just the armory acceptance mark, the grips are the correct Colt stype large reinforced type and it has the VP Colt mark on the frame by the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

SA didn't make 1911A1 frames, it's just the armory acceptance mark, the grips are the correct Colt stype large reinforced type and it has the VP Colt mark on the frame by the trigger guard.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did't know that.

What a a shame somebody destroyed it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did't know that.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Did't know that.

Yep, went from 3 grand if correct with decent finish to whatever one can get for the parts sans frame.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:32:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I am passing on it, no point really getting involved with trading.
Seems this happened with returning GIs and contraband pistols,to them they were just guns and nothing more.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:44:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I am passing on it, no point really getting involved with trading.
Seems this happened with returning GIs and contraband pistols,to them they were just guns and nothing more.
View Quote

The law making it a crime to deface a serial number was the 1968 GCA. Returning GIs were not breaking the law back then

Typical govt rule creep

make a law requiring a serial

then make it a crime if that serial is removed

overnight make a bunch of guns that were legal, now illegal to possess.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:05:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Just thinking out loud - wouldn't a tool mark inspector be able to determine the original serial number.  There were established methods for serial number recovery by forensic examiners for this type of defacing.  If recovered and traced and not stolen then what?  Of course then what if it was?

Too bad probably has some cool history.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 12:13:09 AM EDT
[#15]
43 colt slide.....looks to be a colt frame......damn shame about serial number...pull the barrel on it ....should be a large "G" Colt...there are plenty of guys out there that will pay $400 And more for correct colt barrel
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 3:52:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
43 colt slide.....looks to be a colt frame......damn shame about serial number...pull the barrel on it ....should be a large "G" Colt...there are plenty of guys out there that will pay $400 And more for correct colt barrel
View Quote

I don't have the pistol,told the guy what the issues were as had been explained to me.
I have a friend who would buy it even with the messed up serial number simply because of what it is,but I don't really want to mess with it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 4:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]

That's a damn shame
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#18]

That's just sad as hell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top