Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2016 4:30:46 PM EDT
I'm looking into getting an STI Tactical DS in 45 acp and wondering if anyone has any experience with them.  I've found a lot of information  on the 9mm and 40 cal offerings but nothing really current on the 45.  The main thing I'm worried about us reliability.  It seems like th older ones had feeding issues in 45 so I wonder if they've worked out the kinks.  Any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I used to do uspsa a lot, most guys were running the 40 but some had the 45 version.  Once you get an STI running with good tuned mags they were very reliable.   Prolly not a good example tho, we were always changing something with the gun.

My only bitch was the cost of mags, and possibly having to tune them.  STI seems pretty well made, I toured their plant in Georgetown 10 years ago, pretty good operation.

I have 3 of the Canadian paras, they really have held up well, but the new para seems a crap shoot.  
If the damn STI mags weren't so stupid expensive I'd have an STI.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 5:24:41 PM EDT
[#2]
The 45 STIs have a rep for being more finicky. I suggest 9mm.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 7:38:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies.  Not looking for a 9mm.  Maybe I'll just buy the single stack version.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 8:08:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies.  Not looking for a 9mm.  Maybe I'll just buy the single stack version.
View Quote

After I posted the mag price bitching, I went and checked.  They can now be had for 65 ea, still steep but they have come down a bit.   Any double stack 45 can be a picky eater, but they can be figured out.
Mine run well with 200 gr LSWC , so any other bullet works well too.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 10:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Back in my IPSC days I ran an STI Edge in 40. The rounds were all handloaded long and the gun ran like a quartz clock. Can't imagine why a 45 would be any different, but I am interested in your question because an STI 2011 in 45 would be the ultimate work gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#6]
The only issues I ever had with my .45 2011s is that the bullet is prone to come in contact with the slide stop lug, which can result in weird difficult-to-diagnose feeding issues.   I attribute this to the ramped barrel and the steeper feed ramp.  

I make it a point to check for clearance with my loads and shape the slide stop lug accordingly and that fixes it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The only issues I ever had with my .45 2011s is that the bullet is prone to come in contact with the slide stop lug, which can result in weird difficult-to-diagnose feeding issues.   I attribute this to the ramped barrel and the steeper feed ramp.  

I make it a point to check for clearance with my loads and shape the slide stop lug accordingly and that fixes it.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks for the info. Since I have no qualms about taking a grinder to a $2000 pistol ( the IPSC shooter in me, lol), that sounds like an easy fix.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 5:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an STI I and SVI in 40.  A friend had an STI in 45.  He didn't have in problems with it.  On the STI Facebook page there were some STI 45 ACP mags for sale for about $50.  Good luck on getting that STI.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 6:17:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Theres some encouraging posts.  Maybe ill take the plunge after all.   Plus It sounds like STI stands behind their product.  Now the question is 4" or 5"
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:36:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Tuned mags are 100-200 bucks.

Don't lose them.
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Don't lose them.
View Quote

Ill just try to learn to tune them myself.  What could possibly go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Don't lose them.
View Quote

I have been thinking about switching from glock to sti for comps, but holy crap.
what's with the mags? how come they cost so much and need tuned?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:20:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I have been thinking about switching from glock to sti for comps, but holy crap.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't lose them.

-feed lips are formed, deburred, and polished
-magazine tube is polished and deburred
-spring is tuned
-follower is modified NOT to hold slide open with the last round
-they're also laser engraved with the shooter's name and phone number and "cash reward if found"
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 8:34:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Sample of two, but none of my sv or sti mags (maybe 14 total) are tuned, no issues.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:20:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Tuned mags are also designed to hold 2-3 rounds more than standard factory mags.  When you start pushing the limits, shit has to be tuned perfectly to work right.  My DVC Limited runs just fine on un-tuned factory mags...as well as an MBX mag and an untuned STI tube with Grams guts and a Dawson pad.  The "must have million dollar super tuned mags" thing is way overhyped on the internet IMO.

I do intend to buy a Dawson tuning kit and massage the feed lips on mine eventually.  While they work now, we'll see how they hold up to being dropped and stepped on for a while in USPSA.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sample of two, but none of my sv or sti mags (maybe 14 total) are tuned, no issues.
View Quote

Same here.  I'm not a serious enough competitor to care about the super-expensive tuned mags.  I think about of about 20 STI and SV mags, I've ever only had to adjust the feedlips on maybe 2, and both of those were purchased used.

Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

-spring is tuned
-they're also laser engraved with the shooter's name and phone number and "cash reward if found"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't lose them.

-spring is tuned

The magazines for my X-Fives go for roughly a hundred bucks, or so, apiece and the pistols will work fine with normal P226 magazines if necessary.

Serious question; for the price they get for the STI magazines, why don't they come properly set up to begin with?
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 10:48:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The magazines for my X-Fives go for roughly a hundred bucks, or so, apiece and the pistols will work fine with normal P226 magazines if necessary.

Serious question; for the price they get for the STI magazines, why don't they come properly set up to begin with?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't lose them.

-spring is tuned

They work fine out of the box.  Due to the 140mm mag tube length limit for USPSA, there is a cottage industry of folks who try to shoehorn in every last round for a competitive advantage.  It can be a fiddly, time consuming process and STI simply isn't staffed to do that kind of work.  They have a tough enough time just meeting production goals normally, so I suppose they figure they'll just crank out the mags and let some of their stocking dealers (Dawson, etc.) dip their beak in offering a value-add service.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:16:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They work fine out of the box.  Due to the 140mm mag tube length limit for USPSA, there is a cottage industry of folks who try to shoehorn in every last round for a competitive advantage.  It can be a fiddly, time consuming process and STI simply isn't staffed to do that kind of work.  They have a tough enough time just meeting production goals normally, so I suppose they figure they'll just crank out the mags and let some of their stocking dealers (Dawson, etc.) dip their beak in offering a value-add service.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't lose them.

-spring is tuned

Thanks, I learned something.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top