Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2016 9:14:44 PM EDT
Gents,

One of my grip screws is stripped. While I can confidently detail strip the 1911, I've never run into this.

Is there a stripped screw tool? Do I drill it?

I've had this pistol for many many years, shot the living piss out of it, and replaced multiple springs. (Both due to wear, and rounds fired recommendations)

I don't want to screw it up.

Your advice would be apreciated.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:03:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Got a pic of it?
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 10:26:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Need more info on what is going on.

Reason is sometimes the grip screw bushing is turning and will unscrew from the frame.  Then you remove the other screw and then take the bushing off the back of the grip and put in a new one.  I use red (permanent) locktite on the grip screw bushings to keep them in the frame and blue on the grip screws if it needs it.  If a bushing ever needs to be replaced I use a soldering iron at 750 degrees to break the bond and remove the bushing.

If it's stripped "grip screw to bushing" then try to unscrew it while pushing on the bottom of the screw and see if it will catch.  Do this by removing the bushing on the opposite side and push through the frame from the stripped screw bottom.

Let us know what's going on.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Gents,

One of my grip screws is stripped. While I can confidently detail strip the 1911, I've never run into this.

Is there a stripped screw tool? Do I drill it?

I've had this pistol for many many years, shot the living piss out of it, and replaced multiple springs. (Both due to wear, and rounds fired recommendations)

I don't want to screw it up.

Your advice would be apreciated.
View Quote

Screw stripped?

Bushing stripped?

Can't remove screw? Drill it and use stripped screw removal tool.

Can't remove bushing? Use bushing tool, Challis is best. Vise pliers work, too, but you'll make a mess of things.

Frame bushing thread stripped? Limited options, see gunsmith.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
As requested

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:52:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Dremel and cutoff wheel.
Carefully cut a slot in it and use a flathead screwdriver.

If that doesn't work, drill it and use an EZ-out, or drill the head off entirely and then remove and replace the bushing as well.

Then buy some quality torx screws and a good driver, not gummy chinese stainless socket heads
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dremel and cutoff wheel.

If that doesn't work, drill it and use an EZ-out, or drill the head off entirely and then remove and replace the bushing as well.

Then buy some quality torx screws and a good driver, not gummy chinese stainless socket heads
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Dremel and cutoff wheel.

Cool. I already have the replacement screws and nice torx driver purchased. I knew that much!
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't use screws that require a special tool.  Get grip screws that are for a flat screw driver.  That way you can take the grips off with a .45 acp case rim if necessary.  Just like JMB intended.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Small left hand drill bit
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:41:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Ezout or cut a slot for a screwdriver tip.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 9:43:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Don't use screws that require a special tool.  Get grip screws that are for a flat screw driver.  That way you can take the grips off with a .45 acp case rim if necessary.  Just like JMB intended.
View Quote

Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Great minds think alike.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great minds think alike.

Most my guns are slotted or I'm about to convert them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 11:57:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, torx or hex heads really suck when you find yourself at the range needing to tighten them down, or God forbid take them off for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Small left hand drill bit
View Quote

This x2
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great minds think alike.

Slotted grip screws are the way to go. I have no idea why you'd use anything else.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I just had the same thing happen. You guys are kinda smart.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#16]
For those who find this thread later, I had great luck with a Dremel cut and screwdriver removal.

New grip screws are flat head.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#17]
EZ-Out with a manual impact tool that you strike with a hammer.

Or if the grip is not something rare. Bust the grip off, take the screw out with Vice Grips.

Buy another set of grips on eBay.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

For those who find this thread later, I had great luck with a Dremel cut and screwdriver removal.

View Quote
Thanks for the update.

Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:16:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the update.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.

Thanks to RTDCU for the idea!  Worked great!
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 1:10:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Or if the grip is not something rare. Bust the grip off, take the screw out with Vice Grips.

View Quote

An impact tool is liable to bend the thin metal of the frame holding the bushing.
Complete overkill.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

An impact tool is liable to bend the thin metal of the frame holding the bushing.
Complete overkill.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Complete overkill.

ETA: It can be done if you reinforce the grip between the side rails with something substantial. (Piece of metal, wood, brass, etc).

I've done it before with no problems. The only problem is that the bushing might turn with the screw. Which is not a big problem.

Just use common sense and don't use a 10 pound sledge hammer.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]
If this was an Aesop's Fable, the moral of the story would be flat head grip screws.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
If this was an Aesop's Fable, the moral of the story would be flat head grip screws.
View Quote

I have head some of them fail by fracturing half the head off at the driver slot.
Probbaly over-machined and then over-hardened.

A few others twisted off the whole head.
Likely NOT hardened and muscled in.

My range bag has a reduced set of screwdriver tips down in the bottom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top