Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/6/2016 5:46:36 PM EDT
I'm a fairly new (last year or more) 1911 fan.

So far I have a Kimber Custom II (had for a few years, but never really wowed me too much) and for about a year I've bad a Spring TRP Operator Loaded which I'm in love with!

But I'm a player, so I'm always looking for something new.

What should be my next 1911 acquisition?

The R1911 Enhanced look nice, but I can't see it comparing to the TRP.
Should I try another caliber? 9mm? 40s&w? 50GI? All my guns are work guns (in that I don't care about form or finish) so maybe a real pretty deeply blued gun?

Also should specific I'm not looking to drop over $1k, so some custom made to order 1911 won't fit the bill.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:50:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Spend more and get a TRP full rail.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I know alot of people like the full rail, but it honestly doesn't do anything for me.

Convince me.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I know alot of people like the full rail, but it honestly doesn't do anything for me.

Convince me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convince me.

It's heavy at the muzzle.

Good for rapid fire.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 6:57:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Wiley Clapp Commander.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd say look at another caliber. 9mm or 10mm, or maybe a double-stack.
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 1:55:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Should I try another caliber? 9mm? 40s&w? 50GI? All my guns are work guns (in that I don't care about form or finish) so maybe a real pretty deeply blued gun?

Also should specific I'm not looking to drop over $1k, so some custom made to order 1911 won't fit the bill.

View Quote

Your current 1911 pistols don't interest you anymore and you want to try something new. But, you don't care about a nicer made, custom 1911 with match grade trigger, match grade barrel, and the tighter, smoother slide to frame fit that comes with custom 1911 pistols. So, what is it that you want? Your statements are contradictory and don't seem to indicate what you want. You describe your guns as "work guns," but, don't want custom guns. How are custom guns not work guns?

Putting all the above aside only leaves caliber change. I use to have 1911 pistols in .45 ACP caliber. But, several years ago I discovered 10mm and my only two 1911 pistols - Kimber Custom TLE/RL II and Night Hawk Custom Recon Enforcer are 10mm pistols. I much prefer the 10mm over the .45 ACP and 9mm for stopping power. As far as I am concerned the 10mm puts to bed the debate of 9mm v. .45 ACP. It beats both. With decent ammo- I use Underwood 150gr JHP which has about 1530 fps and about 780 ft lbs. That is very close to .41 magnum ballistics. 10mm also has a flatter, much more accurate trajectory than the .45 ACP.

By comparison the Speer CCI Gold Dot 9mm 124gr JHP +P ammo only produces 1220 fps and 410 ft lbs (pathetic). I used CCI/Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P because it is used by a lot of LE agencies and is highly recommended for a 9mm performance round.

The CCI/Speer Gold Dot 200gr .45ACP JHP +P produces 1080fps and 518 ft lbs . Still, over 250 ft lbs less energy than the 10mm.

So, if you want something beside a .45 ACP 1911 and you don't care about nice finish, smooth, light match trigger, more accurate match barrel, tighter slide to frame fit, then look at a 1911 chambered in 10mm. With the right ammunition, you can at least get something that is more powerful than the .45 ACP.  
Link Posted: 4/7/2016 11:21:58 PM EDT
[#8]

This is a gun that demands to be in 10mm with a fully ramped barrel.  Underwood and Corbon would SING out of that gun.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:05:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This is a gun that demands to be in 10mm with a fully ramped barrel.  Underwood and Corbon would SING out of that gun.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have one.

Everything you say is true.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 9:12:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Springfield Range Officer (regular or Operator - whichever you prefer) in 9mm would be well within your $1000 budget.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I have one.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have one.

THAT warms my heart!!!!

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:00:52 AM EDT
[#12]
RIA double stack ramped barrel 40.

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 4:04:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Springfield Loaded or a Range Officer.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 7:57:35 AM EDT
[#14]
For $1k? Easy...a used TRP.

Got stainless?

Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I know you said not over 1k but look at the Lipsey's exclusive Combat Operator in 9mm. I think they can be had in the 13-1400 range on GB. Almost identical to your TRP.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#16]
buy a Dillon progressive re loader...join USPSA, sign up in Single Stack or L-10 and have fun
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Probably going to be over a grand, but look at a Smith & Wesson Model SW1911Sc E-Series™, Round Butt, with the Scandium Frame.  Beautiful in my eyes.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 8:59:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm a fairly new (last year or more) 1911 fan.

So far I have a Kimber Custom II (had for a few years, but never really wowed me too much) and for about a year I've bad a Spring TRP Operator Loaded which I'm in love with!

But I'm a player, so I'm always looking for something new.

What should be my next 1911 acquisition?

The R1911 Enhanced look nice, but I can't see it comparing to the TRP.

View Quote

I had a TRP Operator that I loved so much, I bought a LW Champion Operator for carry.  That TRP was the most accurate pistol I had ever fired, but the Champion was no slouch.  I shot at arrow with it at 50 yards offhand and won a bet with my daughter by doing so.

I still own the Champion but not the TRP.  I found an Arsenal SAM7SF that I wanted more and traded it.  I was OK with doing so since I am 2 years into a 3 year wait for a Professional with the rail.  But, I do miss a full sized 1911, so I will probably get a TRP without the rail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top