Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2016 12:29:55 AM EDT
Tell me everything I need to know about 10MM and the Colt Delta Elite. Is it a strong durable platform?
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:37:34 AM EDT
[#1]
You will love it. The best 1cm gun out there. Here's mine.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:13:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I like your enthusiasm. Seriously though I have no experience with the 10 MM cartridge. Will the Colt Delta stand up to a steady diet of heavy loads.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 1:23:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice platform.  It's strong enough for every factory fodder you can find.  The first few manufactured had an issue with frame stress, and cracking, this was rectified in the 'enhanced' version.  A piece of the frame was milled off directly above the slide stop. They also put in a different trigger, and relieved the area behind the trigger guard.

Mine came with a plastic guide rod and dual recoil springs to take the stress of the 10mm.  I changed it to a G.I. guide rod and a 23# single Wolfe spring, now it's a bit easier to charge and yet strong enough to arrest the slide so it doesn't batter the frame.

ETA  If you want to strictly shoot high power loads, then you can get a 24-26# Wolfe spring that will mitigate slide speed.

I forgot to mention when I went to a single recoil spring I also fit a flat bottom EGW firing pin stop, this also slows the slide down a bit in recoil.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:20:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I saw one at the Lewisville gun show that had what looked like a factory grip with a wrap around finger groove front strap. They were asking $1085 (I think). Great looking gun. Too bad it was double or more my next gun budget.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:36:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I like your enthusiasm. Seriously though I have no experience with the 10 MM cartridge. Will the Colt Delta stand up to a steady diet of heavy loads.
View Quote

I don't think so, get a glock 20

I have had two deltas and sold them.  I feel real good about the Glock 20 and shoot  full power loads through it all the time.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:58:44 PM EDT
[#6]
It'll be fine. just get the Wolff heavy duty recoil spring as mentioned above. Don't listen to the haters.

Here's mine I've owned since 1991;

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:36:17 PM EDT
[#7]

I forgot to mention when I went to a single recoil spring I also fit a flat bottom EGW firing pin stop, this also slows the slide down a bit in recoil.
View Quote

This is the best bang for the buck modification that you can make to a Delta Elite.

You can also go up a bit on the mainspring.  Mine is a 25#.

The biggest problem with the heavy loads occurs with barrels that don't have good case head support.

I don't load mine hot, but it is definitely warm.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 12:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
This is getting Delta Emblems in the black and blue VZ grips as we speak.

I have another 10mm project being finihsed up as we speak and if I can get the ramped barrel on that project 100 percent operational ( I have first round issues on a full mag...but the feed ramp has not been adjusted yet, so that is expected ) then this gun will be going to Wilson Combat for a match, ramped barrel and bushing.
The goal....is to make a Delta Elite version of the Combat Elite....without the stupid front cocking serrations.  God, I hate those things.

This is the early, ugly state of things right now. Note the new, Colt type knuckle cut under the trigger guard.  Damn, it feels so mega sweet!!!!  The trigger looks all gooey because I had permalocked and staked the overtravel screw in place.  That's all gone now....looks much better.  The grip safety is at a holding pattern until I get some other things out of the way.  It still needs some finish sanding and curve blending with the frame.  The Greider trigger is MUCH better fitting than the OEM trigger.  Took some work to get it there but it sure is nice now.  I need to do the teeniest bit of sear work, too, as the trigger is still a wee bit heavy.  I think I'll let it break in for about 500 rounds before I do anything goofy, though.  I am using a Nolwin mag catch which looks much better than the stock Colt unit because it's serrated like the other components, not checkered.  However, I use the COLT SPRING as the Nowlin spring is way too light.

I am really hoping to get the Fusion up to 100 percent.  ( not pictured here )  I am sure it can be done as it's 100 percent at seven rounds all the time.  That eighth round ( the FIRST ROUND, actually ) loves to dive into the feed ramp.  Like I said, it is still un-molested so I have a lot of hope.  If the Fusion goes to 100 percent, then the Colt is next for a fully supported, ramped barrel.

Here is the Fusion for reference:

LOL...speaking of which.....most 1911 makers cheap out and don't do a proper front strap cut on a 1911, just like this.  Makes the gun feel like a 2 X 4 instead of a 1911.  That being said.....this gun is still an amazing monster.  SOOOOO DAMN ACCURATE that it HURTS!!!!

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:37:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It'll be fine. just get the Wolff heavy duty recoil spring as mentioned above. Don't listen to the haters.

Here's mine I've owned since 1991;

<a href="http://s72.photobucket.com/user/tenmikemike/media/f595b05c-3bcb-4c3c-b0bb-3abda0a5867d.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i187/tenmikemike/f595b05c-3bcb-4c3c-b0bb-3abda0a5867d.jpg</a>

View Quote
Yup, there's always one trying to drop a nugget in threads, and it's always from glock fans too.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:39:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have had two deltas and sold them.  I feel real good about the Glock 20 and shoot  full power loads through it all the time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Full power loads cracked a gen2 and gen3 G20, both that I used to own so I don't think your advice holds much water with those who've experienced differently from you.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:07:38 AM EDT
[#11]

I own a Glock 20 & Colt Delta elite.  Both are bone stock guns from the 90's with several thousand round through each.  No problems with either one.  YMMV

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 8:31:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Lots of nice guns and info. Keep it coming guys.

I agree, I don't care for those front serrations either.
Link Posted: 2/25/2016 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 12:36:15 AM EDT
[#14]
What's with all those Stainless Deltas?

Blued is so much nicer:
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:04:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Blued is so much nicer:
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/NVGdude/MEHpolarizer006.jpg
View Quote

I like it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Blued is so much nicer:

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m192/NVGdude/MEHpolarizer006.jpg
View Quote

Just wait till mine's done....you just wait!!!!  

Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#17]
My understanding is that the case is not supported in the standard barrel, so hot loads are not recommended (at least thats what the ammo mfg site said when I was 10mm ammo shopping).

As far as 10mm in a 1911 platform, I love it.  The only 10mm 1911 on the CA roster is a Kimber, I have one and its great.  It has been very reliable, using range ammo (which is basically .40) to all the hot ammo (DT, Buffalo Bore, and Quite a bit of Underwood).
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 8:29:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83779
View Quote

Are the black and blue VZ's really that bright, or is it just the lighting? Looks really sharp.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 9:24:20 AM EDT
[#19]
I bought my first Delta this week. I already changed the grips to VZ-type & am shopping for a mag well today.

Why Colt didn't use Novak sights on a $1000 gun is...................... typical Colt.
Link Posted: 2/27/2016 4:32:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Wish I hadn't gotten rid of my blued one back in 1995 but life called and my guns got traded for items to start my business. Worked out okay because I have a big safe full of guns. No Delta, on the want list though. Forget finding all your brass when shooting, damn thing would toss it 50 feet to the right and 20 feet ahead of and behind.
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 10:12:20 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Blued is so much nicer:
View Quote

Beautiful.
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 1:32:25 AM EDT
[#22]
think Colt will ever update the gun from its 80s configuration?   seriously no beavertail on a $1k plus 1911?
Link Posted: 3/1/2016 3:21:51 PM EDT
[#23]
i just bought a new one last week. I gave it a very bright full ss polish. I added a wilson drop in beavertail and ss mainspring housing. A set of white bone grips are in the mail from Thailand but won't be here for another week or so.
Ill post a pict when they show up..
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 12:13:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
think Colt will ever update the gun from its 80s configuration?   seriously no beavertail on a $1k plus 1911?
View Quote

They would sell the piss out of them if they used a ramped barrel, installed a beavertail and halfway decent sights.
Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:48:59 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Are the black and blue VZ's really that bright, or is it just the lighting? Looks really sharp.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=83779

They are actually fairly close.  The contrast isn't quite THAT distinct BUT....the black and blue pop much better than any of the average black and red grips.  Which, IMO, is perfectly okay.  Black and red or cherry or maroon is traditionally more subdued anyhow.

Link Posted: 3/2/2016 11:50:55 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
They would sell the piss out of them if they used a ramped barrel, installed a beavertail and halfway decent sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This is 100 percent on the money.

I'd rather spend 1300 or 1400 on a gun that is factory plus tuned and set up with good accouterments than have to spend 1000 grand on the gun and another God knows how much getting it done the way I want.

Link Posted: 3/3/2016 2:39:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I'd rather spend 1300 or 1400 on a gun that is factory plus tuned and set up with good accouterments than have to spend 1000 grand on the gun and another God knows how much getting it done the way I want.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's why I don't have a Delta in my safe.
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 3:13:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

not to mention how hard it is to find someone to do good work anymore....
Link Posted: 3/3/2016 3:34:23 AM EDT
[#29]
If a regular quality made properly heat treated 1911 can handle .460 Rowland (Which is more powerful)... So long as you're not firing thousands of full power max load 10mm though it, I would expect it to be fine. That said, I'm not an expert on these by any means, I'd head whatever the advice of people who own and shoot them is.
Link Posted: 3/5/2016 7:51:55 PM EDT
[#30]
I just swapped out the OEM grips with some VZ-style grips & added an Ed Brown mag well to my Delta today. I really love the look adding a mag well gives the gun.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 5:40:47 PM EDT
[#31]
I don't like that they use unramped barrels, even if Colt claims that it should be okay with SAAMI spec ammo.

My 10mm and 38s guns are ramped. The one that doesn't need it is 9x23, but I still went for ramped since that's how the frame was cut.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be happy with just a ramped barrel. It really irks me that they haven't done that yet.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Who makes a beavertail that matches the factory finish of the newer guns? The one I recently purchased does not go along with the main gun's finish. I have access to a sand blasting cabinet, might see what that does to the grip safety when removed and mating areas masked off.

Link Posted: 3/9/2016 9:27:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Tell me everything I need to know about 10MM and the Colt Delta Elite. Is it a strong durable platform?
View Quote

My motivation for owning 10mm pistols is to shoot maximum pressure ammunition.
Otherwise, I would just shoot 40 S&W, or 9mm, or 38 special...

If you reload, the Colt DE is a poor platform for shooting high performance ammunition.
The unsupported barrel will trash your brass after one or two firings.

I built a longslide glock to shoot hot 10mm.  The ergonomics suck compared to a 1911, but it will not abuse the brass.

The photo compares chamber support of the DE barrel (top) vs. an aftermarket Glock barrel.
As you can see, the DE will create fatal "smile" bulges in your brass.

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 12:17:05 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

If you reload, the Colt DE is a poor platform for shooting high performance ammunition.

I built a longslide glock to shoot hot 10mm.  The ergonomics suck compared to a 1911, but it will not abuse the brass.

The photo compares chamber support of the DE barrel (top) vs. an aftermarket Glock barrel.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N5m43B3MlFM/VuDMyZ6ugXI/AAAAAAAAC7U/RvepmP3j2EU/s640-Ic42/10mmHeadSupport.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-N5m43B3MlFM/VuDMyZ6ugXI/AAAAAAAAC7U/RvepmP3j2EU/s640-Ic42/10mmHeadSupport.jpg

Thanks, that clearly illustrates your point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 11:58:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you are trashing your brass after one or two firings I must assume that you are well above published data.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:33:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree. Someone should tell that to the Colt marketing and sales executives.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:17:56 AM EDT
[#38]
how does this compare to sti perfect 10;  other than price of course?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#39]
I run what I consider 'warm' factory self defense ammo (Win 175HP, GA Arms 180HP)  in my DEs, for precisely for the reason above. The chamber support just isn't there for hot ammo.
There really is no reason to ditch the recoil system, OEM does what its supposed to do. The flat base FP retainer is a good idea as is a slightly heavier mainspring but neither are necessary for running SD ammo. If you want to hunt with a 10mm auto and shoot really hot stuff you'll need better support IMO. That new Glock long slide looks like a winner there IF the barrel has enough support; or a custom built 1911 with ramped barrel.

I've since installed a WC grip safety on the blue one.

I'd really like to see a Gold Cup 10mm again. An XSE-ish DE would also be nice; or maybe TALO will rescue us with a Wiley Clapp DE :)
Asking Colt to do a ramped 1911 is akin to asking them to start making Pythons again. Its just not going to happen.
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 9:12:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Asking Colt to do a ramped 1911 is akin to asking them to start marking Pythons again. Its just not going to happen.
View Quote

Which is exactly why Colt is in a financial mess. Fail to meet your customer requirements, you will fail at business.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 9:37:21 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Which is exactly why Colt is in a financial mess. Fail to meet your customer requirements, you will fail at business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Asking Colt to do a ramped 1911 is akin to asking them to start marking Pythons again. Its just not going to happen.

Colt sells every single pistol they make. Their financial difficulties are the fault of their executive management repeatedly raping the company.
Link Posted: 3/21/2016 7:28:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Colt sells every single pistol they make. Their financial difficulties are the fault of their executive management repeatedly raping the company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fair point. The past financial misdeeds of the previous owners are likely responsible for some of Colt's current inability to be agile in the market.

Thus, Colt has not experienced sales growth commensurate with firearms market growth. Which leads us back to management understanding customer requirements, and managing well.

None of this is meant to disparage the affection I have for my Delta Elite.

Link Posted: 3/22/2016 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
My understanding is that the case is not supported in the standard barrel, so hot loads are not recommended (at least thats what the ammo mfg site said when I was 10mm ammo shopping).

As far as 10mm in a 1911 platform, I love it.  The only 10mm 1911 on the CA roster is a Kimber, I have one and its great.  It has been very reliable, using range ammo (which is basically .40) to all the hot ammo (DT, Buffalo Bore, and Quite a bit of Underwood).
View Quote

I love to load to original 10mm (for some reason everyone thinks that is a hot load!!   ) velocities/ pressures. I had so many pregnant cases with the stock barrel that I bought a BarSto Barrel replacement. It isn't ramped, but the unsupported case area is barely more than a fingernail thick. HUGE difference from stock.
Link Posted: 3/22/2016 11:25:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Should probably post this:

They ARE on the gun now....maybe I will get some pics this weekend....
Link Posted: 3/23/2016 1:46:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Selling every pistol probably means they should be making more, unless by sheer luck they happen to occupy the exact sweet spot for maximizing profit.

To the OP, the DE is a solid pistol, but there are better options. I bought mine because it was one of those "always wanted one" guns, and I got a good deal (used, looked unfired, but had the idiot mark, which I don't care about). It's a fine gun, but not a good value. Colt uses pretty good quality internals and very good frames & slides, but the workmanship is greatly lacking; this is an "assembler" gun, not a "gunsmith" gun. Couple that with the sights, thumb safety, and grip safety, and you have a gun that needs a lot of work. To echo many others, I think the barrel  ought to be ramped, as well.

Long story short, it's a nice looking gun with a cool name in a cool caliber. Realistically, would not be my first choice at its price point.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#46]
The Delta Elite is a VERY GOOD platform to work off of. With that being said I purchased a Delta Elite and everywhere I looked people stated the Barrel didn't offer enough support etc etc. and to have a RAMPED barrel installed.  So when it came time upgrade my Delta, I had originally wanted my smith to do a Ramped Barrel and cut frame to support a ramped barrel.  After back and forth discussions we agreed to just upgrade the barrel to a KART 10mm NM rampless barrel.  

Well I finally got my Custom Delta Elite and took out the KART barrel to check the Ammo Support and I must say it is WAYYY BETTER than the Factory Delta Barrel from COLT.  I have attached a pice below and you can see there is no question as to the difference. I would have no issues using any of the ammo out there.   So for those of you contemplating getting a Delta but are worried about the factory barrel support.  If it doesn't work out for you, you can always just upgrade the barrel and have a smith fit it.

Screen Shot 2016-03-29 at 6.30.02 PM by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

Pictures of the gun back from Derr Precision.

12792171_779856508811166_3146652404057974842_o by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

1497968_779856748811142_5834708962956309186_o by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I love to load to original 10mm (for some reason everyone thinks that is a hot load!!   ) velocities/ pressures. I had so many pregnant cases with the stock barrel that I bought a BarSto Barrel replacement. It isn't ramped, but the unsupported case area is barely more than a fingernail thick. HUGE difference from stock.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Was the BarSto a "drop-in", or did it require fitting?

Now I want to upgrade my OEM barrel.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 10:40:33 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

The Delta Elite is a VERY GOOD platform to work off of. With that being said I purchased a Delta Elite and everywhere I looked people stated the Barrel didn't offer enough support etc etc. and to have a RAMPED barrel installed.  So when it came time upgrade my Delta, I had originally wanted my smith to do a Ramped Barrel and cut frame to support a ramped barrel.  After back and forth discussions we agreed to just upgrade the barrel to a KART 10mm NM rampless barrel.  

Well I finally got my Custom Delta Elite and took out the KART barrel to check the Ammo Support and I must say it is WAYYY BETTER than the Factory Delta Barrel from COLT.  I have attached a pice below and you can see there is no question as to the difference. I would have no issues using any of the ammo out there.   So for those of you contemplating getting a Delta but are worried about the factory barrel support.  If it doesn't work out for you, you can always just upgrade the barrel and have a smith fit it.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1534/26030866702_1f515ccd65_c.jpgScreen Shot 2016-03-29 at 6.30.02 PM by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

Pictures of the gun back from Derr Precision.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1677/24989076853_d3328e07f9_z.jpg12792171_779856508811166_3146652404057974842_o by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1589/25523118201_fcdfe41249_z.jpg1497968_779856748811142_5834708962956309186_o by Ruben Zamora, on Flickr

View Quote

Mega HOT!!!  Mega SWEEET!!!!

I just got done finishing ( well...nearly ) the tuning on my roomie's fully ramped Fusion.  I was HAMMERING shit with 180 Grain Underwood.  AWESOME STUFF!!!  Personally....I would not run that through my stock Delta.  So, if I can get Wilson Combat to respond to an email......I am gonna do a build sheet for a fully ramped Wilson Combat 10mm Match Barrel in my Delta.  

Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:54:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For 1300 you wont get the good quality youd get by just finding deltas on sale for under 900 and spending ectra on a smith to add the features you want.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 12:50:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For 1300 you wont get the good quality youd get by just finding deltas on sale for under 900 and spending ectra on a smith to add the features you want.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except you have to find a good smith to work on 1911s and even here in Phoenix which is known as the valley of the gun, that is surprisingly hard to do...  and the ones that do good work are booked up for years.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top