Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2016 10:01:04 PM EDT
I've always wanted a 1911, but I've just never gotten around to buying one.  A county in upstate NY just formed some type of agreement with my county here in PA which appears to give me the ability to obtain a non-resident NY carry permit.  This is kind of a big deal to me because if I could carry in NY, my family would shop there and visit there a lot more.  I pretty much avoid NY state whenever possible right now even though I live relatively close to the NY border.  

If I am successfully able to obtain a NY permit (I'll believe it when I have it in my hand), I was going to celebrate by buying a full size 1911.  All of my current carry guns are 13-15 round 9mm's.  To comply with NY's unconstitutional (un)SAFE Act, I figured I get a gun designed to hold 7-8 rounds rather than artificially neuter one of mine.

That said, I'd like a full size 1911 of very good quality.  I'm not interested in a smaller 1911 or an AL framed one.  I'm leaning toward the Colt XSE (maybe Combat Elite) or a Springfield Armory TRP.  The SA is on the high end of what I want to spend, but I'm willing to drop the coin if it's worth the money.  I definitely want a 1911 that is very reliable with a variety of ammo, especially JHP's.  I don't want to customize it, I want it to run correctly from the factory.  Are both of these good choices?  Is there another highly regarded 1911 option in this price range that I should consider?  

For extra magazines, I've heard good things about Wilson 47D's, but i have no firsthand experience.  Is there a better magazine I should buy?

Thanks in advance for any help or guidance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:24:01 PM EDT
[#1]
How about a colt Wiley clapp? Pretty nice 5", I just got one for the carry rotation. If I could have spent more a Dan Wesson valor is even nicer

Link Posted: 1/22/2016 10:26:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Both are nice pistols. I have had better luck with Colt over Springfields in the past. SO I would lean towards the Colt.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Both are great guns, you may want to look at the Dan Wesson Heritage.  

I just went through the same thing and ended up with a SS TRP and I couldnt be happier.  It has been 100% with the 600+ rounds of cheap ammo I have put through it and just shoots like a dream.  Factory Springfield mags have been great.  I bought mine during the deal and got two extras mags free.

In the end the TRP just had so many features and came ambi like the colt (I am a lefty).  Many complain about the aggressive grip on the TRP, but I really like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:53:32 PM EDT
[#4]
the Colt XSE is in my opinion , the finest factory  made out of the box ready to go with all  custom touches for serious CCW.

with a lot of additions and internal upgrades most people dont know about and colt for some reason never advertised after the first few years

tigher tolerances,  throated barrels.  better fitted barrels.   under cut trigger guard,.   fitted barrel bushing,  feed ramp polished

forged slide, frame , barrel and slide stop .   larger ejection port,     de horned.      novak sights

not made in brazil

its a shame they stopped making them.     but the new model taking its place looks pretty nice too
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 11:54:13 PM EDT
[#5]

I have a Combat Elite and love it. A couple hundred rounds through it with nary a hiccup.

Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:24:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
the Colt XSE is in my opinion , the finest factory  made out of the box ready to go with all  custom touches for serious CCW.

with a lot of additions and internal upgrades most people dont know about and colt for some reason never advertised after the first few years

tigher tolerances,  throated barrels.  better fitted barrels.   under cut trigger guard,.   fitted barrel bushing,  feed ramp polished

forged slide, frame , barrel and slide stop .   larger ejection port,     de horned.      novak sights

not made in brazil

its a shame they stopped making them.     but the new model taking its place looks pretty nice too
View Quote

I didn't realize that Colt stopped making the XSE.  Do you know the name of the new model?
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 12:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

How about a colt Wiley clapp? Pretty nice 5", I just got one for the carry rotation. If I could have spent more a Dan Wesson valor is even nicer

View Quote

This. A little history. I carried the TRP for some time, and with zero issues. But, I couldn't sell it fast enough to buy a Colt Wiley Clapp Government when it first came out. And, I've never once regretted my decision.

With diligent searching, you can find a WC for about $1K, which is the best price possible for one of the finest carry 1911s made.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:39:44 AM EDT
[#8]
I love my trp's. They're not top of the line customs, but they're great guns that have performed as they should have.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I didn't realize that Colt stopped making the XSE.  Do you know the name of the new model?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

not made in brazil

I believe the Combat Elite is the only remaining model of XSE in production. Maybe one more, I'm not real current on their models.

But I love my new CE!

I've only shot 100 rds through it before the snows set in. It had the last round jump out of the mag about the fifth mag and jam the gun. It did it only the one time. I noticed there was no tension on the extractor when I tore it down for a more thorough cleaning. The extractor fell out under its own weight.

I adjusted the tension, finally shot another four or five mags and don't expect anymore problems.

I also put new VZ grips on because the Colt grips were just too pretty to risk damaging.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've gotten equally good performance from Colt's and Springfield 1911s.  I pound on my Springfields more, but the Colt's are just as good and durable.  My favorite 1911, however, is a Dan Wesson Valor.  But, any of these three will run a long time and give trouble free service in my experience.  One important difference between Colt's and Springfield worth noting is customer service -- Springfield is Top Shelf and Colt's is barely adequate.  Also, Springfield offers a lifetime warranty.

For magazines, none is better than the Tripp Research Cobra Mag.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've gotten equally good performance from Colt's and Springfield 1911s.  I pound on my Springfields more, but the Colt's are just as good and durable.  My favorite 1911, however, is a Dan Wesson Valor.  But, any of these three will run a long time and give trouble free service in my experience.  One important difference between Colt's and Springfield worth noting is customer service -- Springfield is Top Shelf and Colt's is barely adequate.  Also, Springfield offers a lifetime warranty.

For magazines, none is better than the Tripp Research Cobra Mag.
View Quote

I've been reading a lot about these as the Valor has been mentioned multiple times now.  They look and sound very nice, but they're a bit more than I wanted to spend.  I'm tempted to save a while longer and get the DW Valor in black.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:06:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Go with the Colt XSE, Colt has never let me down!  
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 10:34:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah I was debating between the Dan Wesson Valor and Springfield TRP. I ended up finding a blemish Valor for $1500 on gunbroker.com and it's a great pistol. The TRP's are very nice also though, but the checkering is a bit aggressive for my tastes. I think you'll be happy with either one though. The Dan Wesson Heritage is cheaper and still very nice also. Or I would look at the Springfield Operator, another well fitted 1911. My first 1911 was a Springfield Loaded and I enjoyed it also.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:05:46 AM EDT
[#14]
The TRP is the quality winner in that match-up.    If you put a TRP and Colt WC head to head, I would probably lean toward the WC.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I have an xse and a trp operator 1/2 rail, the trp is the better gun, the fitting is better the safety is positive and does not have and slop unlike my colt (made about 3 years ago)
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#16]
TRP
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 5:39:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

not made in brazil

View Quote

You're a little behind the times Shawn, Springfield hasn't built a gun in Brazil for years.
Link Posted: 1/23/2016 11:35:18 PM EDT
[#18]
There is a valor in the ee that I'd be all over if I just didn't by that Wiley clapp
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:21:35 AM EDT
[#19]
The trp will be an extra 300$ most likely, but it is a well built gun. Can't go wrong with either. The combat elite might be the way to go with colt, or the Wiley clap Talo, like others have mentioned. But the TRP is about the best production gun out they with awesome customer service should you need it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:21:08 PM EDT
[#20]
my TRP is a machine.

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 8:28:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

not made in brazil

View Quote

Springfields cheaper 1911s aren't made in Brazil anymore, and the TRP, along with all NM prefix 1911s have never been made in Brazil.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:31:52 AM EDT
[#22]
I've been carrying my TRP almost daily for the last ten years and have fired tens of thousands of rounds through it and it just keeps going. The accuracy is supurb and I've had multiple friends buy their own after shooting mine. I've never had a part break on it and it's still extremely tight. It isn't some safe queen or babied pistol, it gets shot a lot and abused and it just keeps on running. As far as the Colt I couldn't tell you but I'd put this pistol up against any other any day of the week and I trust it with my life. That's my testimony.

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Springfields cheaper 1911s aren't made in Brazil anymore, and the TRP, along with all NM prefix 1911s have never been made in Brazil.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

not made in brazil

Not exactly 100%, the parts and forgings were from Brazil on all pistols, N marked and WW guns were 100% Brazil, while NM were finished in USA. Over the last 3 or 4 years, Imbel is completely out of the picture so they are now all USA made. I personally prefer SA pistols. Never been a Colt Fanboy, though they do make nice pistols.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 3:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I don't think you can go wrong either way, OP. I've got a TRP and an XSE (Combat Elite) and love 'em both. The TRP is fit a little better, the Colt is prettier if that matters. Both shoot better than I do and have been 100% so far.

And because I like looking at them, here's a couple pics:

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks everyone for all of the input.  I stopped at a local gun store today I checked out a number of 1911 variants in person.  I came to an unexpected conclusion: I like the Colt Lightweight Commander the best.  Apparently this is a newer version of the Commander that was recently released.  All along I planned to buy a full-size steel framed 1911, but after fondling every 1911 in the case, I kept coming back to the Colt Commander Lightweight.  I walked away without buying it in order read up on the Commander, but as things stand right now, I plan on returning tomorrow after work and buying it.  The weight and size seem perfect for concealed carry, while hopefully retaining enough mass to still soak up some recoil.  I've never been opposed to carrying a full size gun, but as I get older my practical side occasionally wins out.  It was also affordable at only $829.  

I feel like I've been bitten buy the 1911 bug already.  I can definitely see myself getting another one soon, I really like the Dan Wesson Valor, but that's a bit out of my budget right now.

The only real question I have about the Colt Lightweight Commander relates to shooting and recoil.  I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but I'm wondering if the aluminum frame and slightly smaller size will increase felt recoil to the point that it's not enjoyable to shoot?  

Here's the gun I looked at today:

Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:43:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Excellent choice!

You should have no problem handling the recoil. The few extra missing ounces won't make that big a difference unless you are very recoil sensitive.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 9:56:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I don't think you can go wrong either way, OP. I've got a TRP and an XSE (Combat Elite) and love 'em both. The TRP is fit a little better, the Colt is prettier if that matters. Both shoot better than I do and have been 100% so far.

And because I like looking at them, here's a couple pics:
<a href="http://s406.photobucket.com/user/dkm455/media/TRP%201_zpsbrrugw3y.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/TRP%201_zpsbrrugw3y.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s406.photobucket.com/user/dkm455/media/Combat%20Elite%201_zpsqfksopvv.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i406.photobucket.com/albums/pp146/dkm455/Combat%20Elite%201_zpsqfksopvv.jpg</a>
View Quote

Man, those are both really nice.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 10:09:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for all of the input.  I stopped at a local gun store today I checked out a number of 1911 variants in person.  I came to an unexpected conclusion: I like the Colt Lightweight Commander the best.  Apparently this is a newer version of the Commander that was recently released.  All along I planned to buy a full-size steel framed 1911, but after fondling every 1911 in the case, I kept coming back to the Colt Commander Lightweight.  I walked away without buying it in order read up on the Commander, but as things stand right now, I plan on returning tomorrow after work and buying it.  The weight and size seem perfect for concealed carry, while hopefully retaining enough mass to still soak up some recoil.  I've never been opposed to carrying a full size gun, but as I get older my practical side occasionally wins out.  It was also affordable at only $829.  

I feel like I've been bitten buy the 1911 bug already.  I can definitely see myself getting another one soon, I really like the Dan Wesson Valor, but that's a bit out of my budget right now.

The only real question I have about the Colt Lightweight Commander relates to shooting and recoil.  I'm not particularly recoil sensitive, but I'm wondering if the aluminum frame and slightly smaller size will increase felt recoil to the point that it's not enjoyable to shoot?  

Here's the gun I looked at today:
<a href="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mccullm6/media/20160125_113448_resized_3_zpsznjlk4qm.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mccullm6/20160125_113448_resized_3_zpsznjlk4qm.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s139.photobucket.com/user/mccullm6/media/20160125_113453_resized_zps5cokilip.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/mccullm6/20160125_113453_resized_zps5cokilip.jpg</a>

http://www.gunsandammo.com/files/2016/01/colt-lightweight-commander-1.jpg
View Quote

Wish my Wiley clap came with those grips
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 1:07:03 AM EDT
[#29]
I have the XSE LW Commander and love it. Absolutely reliable and is my prime carry gun. If my back is having fits (osteoarthritis) I carry a S&W 9mm Shield. But I'm a 45 guy at heart!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Those new Lightweight Commanders come with a dual recoil spring setup similar to what Colt puts in their 10mm Delta Elites. I've heard that they do make a noticable difference in felt recoil, but I have no firsthand knowledge of that. Colt is saying that the new springs should last 10,000 rounds easy. I'm skeptical, but that's what they're saying.

I've also read on other 1911 boards that you can easily ditch the dual spring setup if it's not your thing. Just buy a standard GI guide rod and a standard 18lb Commander spring (assuming you have a .45 ACP) and drop it in.

In all honesty, I wouldn't worry about the recoil. My WC Lightweight Commander has a slight bit more pep in its recoil than my government models, but not enough to make a practical difference in my mind, and that's with a standard 18lb spring setup.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 12:08:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Update:
I bought the Colt Lightweight Commander today.  By the time I was done with work, I didn't have daylight to shoot it.  However, I field stripped it, cleaned, lubed, and reassembled.  Being used to Sigs, Glocks, and a Beretta M9, field stripping and reassembly was a bit of a PITA the first time, but I think I pretty well have it down now.  I can't wait to shoot it.  I'm so used to polymer framed 9mm's, this 1911 exudes quality in comparison.  I'm sure it will be accurate, I just hope it proves to be 100% reliable, especially with premium JHP's.  

I'll post a review once I get some trigger time.  Here's a picture:

Colt Commander compared to Glock 19 (my primary carry gun):
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:18:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Congrats!
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#33]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 1:56:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Looked at one of these today, beautiful gun. Are these new LW Commanders Series 70 like the WC commander, or Series 80 ?  I looked on the Colt website and didn't find any detail. I'm assuming these have the Series 80 firing pin block.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 2:28:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Looked at one of these today, beautiful gun. Are these new LW Commanders Series 70 like the WC commander, or Series 80 ?  I looked on the Colt website and didn't find any detail. I'm assuming these have the Series 80 firing pin block.
View Quote

The owners manual is a generic "Series 80" type.  Makes me assume this is an 80 series, but I'm brand new to 1911's and I'm not sure how to tell the difference.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Nice choice
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Love the Lightweight Commanders. Nice gun.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 9:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Sweet, looks great! Have fun w/ it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top