Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/25/2015 6:29:58 PM EDT
Ive been in the SBR/Suppressor phase way too long without owning a solid 1911

It seems that the Springfield is the sweet spot for mid range, I've done a bit of searching without any real results.

If not Springfield then what? Preferably $800 range..
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:34:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I just traded for a Springfield Mil-Spec today.  It's a solid gun, but if I had a choice, I'd have gotten a Range Officer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:36:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I just traded for a Springfield Mil-Spec today.  It's a solid gun, but if I had a choice, I'd have gotten a Range Officer.
View Quote

That seems to be what I have been reading. Good to see someone owning a Mil-spec still vouching for Range Officer though
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:37:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Does the Range Officer only come in black? I thought I saw a stainless but it may have been labeled wrong on Google
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Not an expert--- I believe they only come in Black.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That seems to be what I have been reading. Good to see someone owning a Mil-spec still vouching for Range Officer though
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the money, I don't think you can beat the RO.  I was going to buy one, but some local guy offered to trade me even up for a NIB Mil Spec for my very used M&P 9
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:49:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Just picked up a new Springfield 1911 Loaded on Gunbroker for $729.00.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 6:17:34 PM EDT
[#7]
The difference is mostly cosmetic except for the sights. They all claim they come with a stainless match grade barrel, but my RO's barrel is not fitted so accuracy is good, just not up to true match grade standards. The RO in 9 mm has a barrel with a fully supported ramp, which is nice but not necessary. It boils down to which sights tou want, improved USGI, fixed combat, or fully adjustable target?
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It boils down to which sights tou want, improved USGI, fixed combat, or fully adjustable target?
View Quote

I wanted the adjustable sights.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 9:47:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

If not new, you can usually find a very gently used Sig 1911 in that range.

I'd skip the lower end Springfields such as the mil spec. The use a two-piece bbl & they're not as accurate. Or................... get a mil-spec & add a Wilson/Kart/Nowlin/etc. bbl & the thing will shoot like a Gold Cup.  

My .o2
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not fond of adjustable sights on 1911s. For that reason, I got the SA Parkerized Loaded and the Lightweight Champion Operator. I'm currently looking real hard at the RO Champion that also has fixed sights.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'd skip the lower end Springfields such as the mil spec. The use a two-piece bbl & they're not as accurate. Or................... get a mil-spec & add a Wilson/Kart/Nowlin/etc. bbl & the thing will shoot like a Gold Cup.  

My .o2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My .o2

NM Milspecs have one piece barrels.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Get the Range Officer, its the one you won't outgrow. Add checkering and a magwell down the line and it'll rival some custom guns costing 2x as much.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:38:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get the Range Officer, its the one you won't outgrow. Add checkering and a magwell down the line and it'll rival some custom guns costing 2x as much.
View Quote

I agree. It really is the best bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This. I love my RO.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:13:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Range Officer but couldn't tell you all the differences between it and a loaded. I think the loaded had serrations on the front and different sights, and may not had the same barrel or bushing, one of those I seem to recall was a "match" item, though mine nor anyone I have heard of has ever required a bushing wrench to take down so. *shrug* snug fit but not crazy tight like I hear some Les Bear o Ed Brown pistols can be. I know the chamber is pretty snug and it's damn easy for me to shoot very accurately compared to my Glock. Funny thing is the other day I noticed it would feed an empty case from the mag into the chamber with no issue where as my Glock 30s and it's over sized chamber wouldn't.  Neither has ever had a failure. And SA 1911's can take the abuse of a .460 Rowland conversion so they are well made properly heat treated pistols.

I think the mil-spec has shorter more G.I. like sights, G.I. style spur hammer and solid blade trigger, can't recall if it was curbed or straight. And the grips said Mil Spec or G.I. or something similar  I think most of this is on Springfield's website if you have any questions you can't find answers to online, just call and ask.

P.S. At 35yards I can place 15 rounds into the head of a silhouette. Can't complain about that! Oh and you say starter, curious as to what you would be working up too? One things for sure, it's hard to be disappointed in the R.O. I wish they offered it with the target sights that are on it, or a more standard set of sights like whats offered on the loaded. Come to think of it does the R.O. compact come with regular sights like on the loaded? I think I noticed an ad in a magazine that showed this.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:24:21 PM EDT
[#16]
RO and Loaded are the same base pistol just different options.  If you choose either you will be good to go.  SA is a great choice for a 1911 if it is your first or tenth..... Quality product, reasonably priced, great CS, and bang for your buck.  I have a Loaded and TRP myself and two Kimbers.  CZ\Dan Wesson also makes a good equivalent 1911 line up to SA.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 3:44:17 PM EDT
[#17]
You have to step up to a TRP to notice a difference in the fit of the major parts. I fondled several 1911s the day I bought my TRP. Several Sigs, a couple Colts, several Springfields (iirc, there was a MC Operator and a Range Officer in the mix, can't remember the others) and a Les Baer. The Baer was niiiiiice, but the price was enough that I looked at the other guns too. Of the others, I kept coming back to the TRP.

And I know, that's alot of money for a starter 1911, but my first 1911 was a Kimber Custom II. It was a decent pistol and I never had problems with it, but it wasn't nearly as well fitted as my TRP. If I had to do it all over again, I would've just skipped the Kimber.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:34:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Mine did not but I admit buying it close to 20 years ago though. Perhaps it's changed since then?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:02:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mine did not but I admit buying it close to 20 years ago though. Perhaps it's changed since then?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've owned a few in the last 6 or 7 years and they all had one piece barrels.

Link Posted: 11/30/2015 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got nothing against the milspec, I used to have one and it ran well.  But it sort of falls short in the fact that if you want a repro GI gun, it's not really one because of the updated sights, slanted serrations and lowered ejection port. And you kind of miss out on some of the upgrades that make the 1911 more user friendly.  Like the newer style grip safety and extended safety.  And I really don't like curved MSH.  It just fits me all wrong.    

So if you're not wanting a USGI type repro weapon, than the RO or Loaded are the way to go.  I think adjustable sights might be kind of wonky for a CCW gun, but I've never tried it to know for sure.  And that might be more what the "experts" say than what translates into what works for you.  I don't really have anything against adjustable sights unless I found them to move regularly.  That would suck.

I don't like shorter triggers either.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:17:08 AM EDT
[#21]
The only thing I know about Springfield 1911s is I really like my RO. I added a S&A magwell.

My only 'complaint' is I wish it had checkering on the front strap.

Best bang for the buck, imo.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Does the Range Officer only come in black? I thought I saw a stainless but it may have been labeled wrong on Google
View Quote

Apparently SA is making the RO in stainless now. Buds has them in stock.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=526999491

I have a RO, it is very accurate for a production gun, although I don't really care for adjustable sights, I got it at a good price so I couldn't pass it up.

Basically everything under the TRP line is the same just different features. The trp/trophy match line get a little more attention paid to them.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 11:27:49 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

All SA guns are now made in the US so they are all NM serialized and all use the 1 pc barrel, been that way for 3-4 year now I believe.

Link Posted: 12/1/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
All SA guns are now made in the US so they are all NM serialized and all use the 1 pc barrel, been that way for 3-4 year now I believe.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice.  This I didn't know.  My milspec was I believe a Brazilian gun.  Or where ever that was they made them.  It still ran.  I didn't find it overly accurate compared to my Kimber.  Although it was probably me.  I figured out not that long ago when borrowing it back from my BIL for a little bit that it actually favored the lighter bullets.  But there again, that might just be me being affected by the recoil of 230 grain.....  Or it was the gun.  Or both.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 2:12:04 PM EDT
[#25]
In general the Brazil guns were ok, just the US finished guns were better. The only issues I have ever had out of the 8 or so SA 1911's I have owed, was with my Brazil made "N" Loaded. SA fixed it and it was great after that but soured me on the full Brazil guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top