Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2015 8:56:11 PM EDT
What is a reasonable price to remove the billboard advertising on the sides of a brushed stainless 1911? It is like having a 12" F O R D or C H E V Y logo on the back gate of a late model Expedition or Tahoe.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What is a reasonable price to remove the billboard advertising on the sides of a brushed stainless 1911? It is like having a 12" F O R D or C H E V Y logo on the back gate of a late model Expedition or Tahoe.
View Quote

Completely depends on the company doing the work. 150ish to include the refinishing.  It is possible for you to do it if you are somewhat inclined and have a bit of talent.

If you have no desire and the gun is worth something to you, I would call Wilson Combat. It will be more I am sure but well worth the work they do.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 9:12:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote

About 20 bucks if you have some sandpaper and a lot of free time.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Before and after Pics too please.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
What is the gun in question?
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I am also curious.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:49:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
I currently have a Colt government. I am considering another in 9mm that I would want the work done on.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:03:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Completely depends on the company doing the work. 150ish to include the refinishing.  It is possible for you to do it if you are somewhat inclined and have a bit of talent.

If you have no desire and the gun is worth something to you, I would call Wilson Combat. It will be more I am sure but well worth the work they do.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have the time and the tooling to remove the lettering. I would want it to be perfect, like the factory finish. The sides of the slide look like they could take the decreased thickness. I have removed lettering on aluminum heat sinks for a "kustom" look, years ago, many years ago. We had to hope the amps didn't crap out. Mfg.'s would decline warranty on those amps. The heat sinks were thick enough to have more than one try to get it right.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 11:41:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I currently have a Colt government. I am considering another in 9mm that I would want the work done on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about the older Colts from the 90s with that big ol "1991A1" stamped on the side?

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 1:18:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I would love to have "tactical" removed from my TRP frame.

this is a tag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 2:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

this is a tag.
View Quote

Bingo. Personally I would like OPERATOR CAL .45 and TRP also removed and intended to call Wilson Combat last week after looking at their online price sheet.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Are you talking about the older Colts from the 90s with that big ol "1991A1" stamped on the side?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My current and only 1911 is a new government stainless. I would mod another first and see the results before doing it to my current 1911. As I mentioned, I did something similar to car audio amps in the mid 80's. Some of the amps we modded had distortions in the aluminum that could be seen no matter how deep we went. Some cheap amps were actually easier, and came out better.

I wonder why gun mfg.'s put that print on so large. Display case guns could have a removable decal or something. I think I recall seeing one brand that was actually somewhat clean down the sides of the slide.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:05:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

this is a tag.
View Quote
I would like to have word "tactical" removed from the gun industry.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:35:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My current and only 1911 is a new government stainless. I would mod another first and see the results before doing it to my current 1911. As I mentioned, I did something similar to car audio amps in the mid 80's. Some of the amps we modded had distortions in the aluminum that could be seen no matter how deep we went. Some cheap amps were actually easier, and came out better.

I wonder why gun mfg.'s put that print on so large. Display case guns could have a removable decal or something. I think I recall seeing one brand that was actually somewhat clean down the sides of the slide.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think I have ever heard of anybody complain about the Colt NRM's appearance.

If it bothers you that much, why not just get rid of it and get a Rock Island with the small roll mark, or a Dan Wesson Valor.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 8:46:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have two Rugers, one 5" and one a Commander.  I don't mind anyone knowing they are Rugers, but the billboard...come on.

I'd like to have it removed as well, but since they are stainless I'd like to have it done professional as well.

In other words, this is a tag.
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:19:01 PM EDT
[#15]
A glass plate, lots of wet-or-dry paper, and time.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:36:08 PM EDT
[#16]
What does "this is a tag", communicate?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:40:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I don't think I have ever heard of anybody complain about the Colt NRM's appearance.

If it bothers you that much, why not just get rid of it and get a Rock Island with the small roll mark, or a Dan Wesson Valor.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

(stomping feet in a very childish manner) I don't want a Rock Island or Dan Wesson.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:43:04 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
What does "this is a tag", communicate?
View Quote

thread subscription
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:(stomping feet in a very childish manner) I don't want a Rock Island or Dan Wesson.
View Quote

Um...

DW makes some of the finest non-custom 1911s out there.

I'd gladly take 2 or 3.

Also, I will attest you that NO ONE will buy a molested Colt unless it's quality work done by 1 or 2 gunsmiths--and I doubt that you're one of them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Um...

I'd gladly take 2 or 3.

Also, I will attest you that NO ONE will buy a molested Colt unless it's quality work done by 1 or 2 gunsmiths--and I doubt that you're one of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:(stomping feet in a very childish manner) I don't want a Rock Island or Dan Wesson.

Um...

I'd gladly take 2 or 3.

agreed, I am no gunsmith. I wanted a Colt, and I bought one. I want the advertising removed. I don't sell guns that I buy. I keep them.

So, please, name these 2 gunsmith. I don't mind paying for good work. I don't want to hear BS excuses when I call after a promised date of completion. I would expect a tracking number that did not arrive from the result of a hijacked delivery truck.

I have had very bad luck with local smiths. They all lie, they think that people should tolerate their half ass business practices.

Shipping a gun for work makes me pucker something bad.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:02:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
agreed, I am no gunsmith. I wanted a Colt, and I bought one. I want the advertising removed. I don't sell guns that I buy. I keep them.

So, please, name these 2 gunsmith. I don't mind paying for good work. I don't want to hear BS excuses when I call after a promised date of completion. I would expect a tracking number that did not arrive from the result of a hijacked delivery truck.

I have had very bad luck with local smiths. They all lie, they think that people should tolerate their half ass business practices.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um...

I'd gladly take 2 or 3.

C&S, Alchemy, David Sams
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:18:42 AM EDT
[#22]
mill to remove then slap it in a surface grinder and have some fun.

post pics.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 11:30:23 AM EDT
[#23]
The cost is about $1500.  Dan Wesson Valor.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:04:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
mill to remove then slap it in a surface grinder and have some fun.

post pics.
View Quote
Yea, what's the worst that could happen?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:10:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I looked through the Wilson Combat site. I did not see an exact description of what I wanted. I did see pricing for everything else and then some.

A larger safety would be nice. That looks fairly simple to do.

I couldn't get through on the phone for some reason. I can't call now. Maybe around 3:30.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 1:40:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Are you guys looking to just have shallow pocket milling done to remove the shallow billboard engraving? If so, that would be a piece of cake....
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:05:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are you guys looking to just have shallow pocket milling done to remove the shallow billboard engraving? If so, that would be a piece of cake....
View Quote

Think he wants to make a slick slide.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The problem with that is that depending on the depth of the factory engraving, you may have to cut the cocking serrations deeper. I have seen some engravings as deep as .025" on some models.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:32:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Delete. I double posted somehow.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

C&S, Alchemy, David Sams
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Um...

I'd gladly take 2 or 3.

C&S, Alchemy, David Sams

I see you are in Alabama. I thought you were in DFW for some reason. I won't ship any gun for service. Thanks for the leads though. My search continues.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't know what it is called. What part of LA are you in?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top