Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2015 11:39:02 PM EDT
Might get one to augment the .45 1911s I've been shooting for 40 years.

Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:49:10 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm Range Officer if you don't want fixed combat sights. Excellent gun, easy and comfortable to shoot. Stock trigger is a little rough for me but that's easy to resolve.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Friend of mine picked up one of these things for under $700 new from a local shop:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/01/13/gun-review-rock-island-armory-22tcm9mm-1911/

I absolutely love it. Great shooter, seems well made. Good looking machining. Comes with fiberoptic front sight and adjustable rear. Grips look like VZ operators but not positive if they really are as well as a magwell. I've shot it quite a bit only using the 9mm barrel and its very fun to shoot and seems to feed most types of 9mm without a hiccup. Even shot a couple mags of that Liberty Defense 50 Grain stuff without issue.

I know they sell it as just a 9mm too but that was the first decent link I came across.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:44:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a RIA 9mm 1911 for $400 at my local gun shop. It's a GI style with basic sights and no fancy beavertail, but it's a blast to shoot. Very soft.

They have a 'tac' version for about $100 more with a beavertail and novak style sights.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:41:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a stainless springer RO in 9mm which I bought used from a LGS. The thing was cheap and after shooting it a bit, it feels like it's beat to shit and probably needs a new recoil spring but it still hasn't failed me yet and has great accuracy. I give it a big thumbs up. Plus my wife loves shooting it because she has tiny hands and the 1911 grip fit her easily. Plus he 9mm recoil from the 1911 platform is minuscule.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm in search of one myself

I'm generally not a Kimber fan, but I was thinking about trying out one of their TLE pistols in 9mm. It's the first carbon steel slide and frame 1911 from Kimber that I'm aware of, and that's what I desire.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/custom-tle-rl-ii-tfs-a?___SID=U

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 6:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I would get the new Colt 9mm fullsize.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 11:17:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I really like my Dan Wesson Guardian:

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I vote for the Dan Wesson pointman 9.  I have one with about 600rds thru it and it's flawless.  Not to mention accurate and a sweet trigger.   I have owned lower priced 1911s and you can really tell the difference in fit and finish. Not to say cheaper ones don't shoot well, it's just that this one is reallly nice.   You won't be sorry.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 12:42:21 AM EDT
[#9]
STI Trojan 9mm

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#10]
STI Spartan!

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 2:50:40 AM EDT
[#11]
Well if we're just throwing stuff out there...

I like my Colt Series 70 a lot if you can find a deal on one.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 3:03:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Whats are you willing to spend?  Either one of these would get my vote.

" />
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:27:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

You are in Texas, get an STI w/ the State of Texas engraved into your pistol, plus the Trojan is a tack driver.

Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:11:32 PM EDT
[#14]
It's hard to beat the STI offerings at either the Spartan or Trojan level.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:40:38 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Whats are you willing to spend?  Either one of these would get my vote.

http://<a href=http://i825.photobucket.com/albums/zz177/unsub073/DW-VZ_zpsc8l3haib.jpg</a>" />
View Quote
+1

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a FS Colt and RIA both really sweet shooting guns, I picked up the RIA so reasonable in a local shop a few years back that there was no way I could pass it up, turned out to be one of my better buys, if I were looking for one today and had the cash I would be hard pressed to pass up a RO.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:04:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the Spartan even available anymore?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 1:19:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Is the Spartan even available anymore?
View Quote

Discontinued but still plenty of them in the channel.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 12:34:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I had a SA RO 9mm.  Parents still have 1 each.  I sold mine when I found a DW PM-9 in stock.  Night and day difference.  Trigger on the RO sucked, DW trigger is sweet.  Accuracy on the RO was pretty poor; my 9mm ECO outshot it easily and my PM-9 totally smokes the Springfield Range Officer.  Fit and finish, feel of the gun in hand, etc, all go to the PM-9.  A friend of mine recently put my DW PM-9 up to his STI 9mm (not sure which model?); his first time shooting my DW PM-9, his group was less than half the size of the STI 9mm that he was used to shooting.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I picked up a RIA 9mm 1911 for $400 at my local gun shop. It's a GI style with basic sights and no fancy beavertail, but it's a blast to shoot. Very soft.

They have a 'tac' version for about $100 more with a beavertail and novak style sights.
View Quote

I have had my eye on these.  Lucky.   I really want a commander size, light weight, but still shopping.  Colt is making or still making their 9mm, I just saw one with nice features, other than the COLT logo.

I can't even step foot in to a gun store right now.  I need a new TV and mine loses about a pixel a day........

It just sucks that I have put this  purchase off for several months, but if I saw the right 9mm 1911, I wouldn't be able to control myself.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I vote for the Dan Wesson pointman 9.  I have one with about 600rds thru it and it's flawless.  Not to mention accurate and a sweet trigger.   I have owned lower priced 1911s and you can really tell the difference in fit and finish. Not to say cheaper ones don't shoot well, it's just that this one is reallly nice.   You won't be sorry.

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/pdxflyr/6B458C15-AA40-4A11-9AE9-CAB4B1750C4A_zps5culwiuv.jpg
View Quote

That is damn sexy.  Price range???  I like the front strap checkering and clean slide.
Link Posted: 9/3/2015 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I am one of those folks that have made the journey to the monastery at the top of the mountain, and we've come back down with that lavishly made pistol, fire-quenched in a calm clear pool filled with the tears of fallen enemies and conquered peoples. Wilson Combat CQB in 9mm  

Now that having been said, I also have A Rock Island Armory Tactical in 9mm that shoots nearly as good as the WC CQB.  But to be fair, I bought a EGW Ignition Kit w/ Lightened Hammer, fitted barrel bushing, fitted Slide Stop machined from barstock, fiber optic front sight, and grips.  With fitting, polishing, and assembly by a local 1911 smith, the whole operation probably came under $750.00

So, my RIA cost with smithing was no more than my g/f's 9mm Springfield RO, but I have a smoother trigger in my preferred pull weight, and a FO front sight.  The RIA will never be a Wilson. My CQB is butter-smooth and shoots like a dream. But RIA pistols are a hidden bargain, and worth looking into!

Link Posted: 9/3/2015 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#23]
STI Trojan. Had mine hard chromed by Virgil Tripp, the T in STI and Tripp magazines.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 5:53:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1089.photobucket.com/albums/i357/pdxflyr/6B458C15-AA40-4A11-9AE9-CAB4B1750C4A_zps5culwiuv.jpg
View Quote

That is damn sexy.  Price range???  I like the front strap checkering and clean slide.
View Quote

It was $1400.  I believe it's actually milled into the front strap.  This one is a keeper.  It is my first semi-custom 1911 and I like it so much I'm thinking about getting the .45 commander vbob to go with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top