Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2015 10:24:14 AM EDT
One that hadn't been fit to a gun, yet. I want a match barrel, but I want it to be Colt, ideally. An oversized Colt bushing would be cool too, but I know that's sort of pushing it.

Can it be done?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 10:50:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes to both.  Do your homework.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:11:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes to both.  Do your homework.
View Quote

I've found the barrel on Midway, but it says "Semi-Drop In". I was under the impression that the ones they use for the custom shop guns like the Special Combat Government, and the customer sent guns were a full fit?

Can't find an oversized bushing at all. They're all labeled as "drop in" parts.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The Colt GCNM pistols have a different barrel than a Gov Model - the hood extension is a different width. What pistol do you want to put the barrel into?
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:05:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The Colt GCNM pistols have a different barrel than a Gov Model - the hood extension is a different width. What pistol do you want to put the barrel into?
View Quote

An O1991.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#5]
You might consider going with a good aftermarket match barrel for Government Model. OTOH, How is the barrel and bushing fit in the pistol now? Unless something is wrong, chances are you're not going to get much bang for your buck with a new fitted barrel and bushing as far as accuracy is concerned.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 2:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Honestly, the fit of the barrel is fine, and the bushing is "eh", but the main reason I want a Colt NM barrel is just because for some unexplainable reason I think they're insanely cool. That's really it. The gun is accurate enough for what I want to do, but I'd like an NM barrel just because, really.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with a Kart or Bar-Sto.  Colt NM barrels don't touch them for quality.  Plus you have that hood width dilemma you can't overcome.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Why can't the barrel hood issue be overcome? Can't you fit the hood?

The reviews on the Midway page say that it fit other 1911s, and I know CCS fits them to other 1911s.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#9]
The current production Combat Elites come with a Colt marked NM barrel, so they're out there.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The reviews on the Midway page say that it fit other 1911s, and I know CCS fits them to other 1911s.
View Quote

Not economically.  If the barrel you have fits fine, there are ways to adjust the fit of your existing bushing.  Is it loose on the barrel, or in the slide?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 8:00:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Not economically.  If the barrel you have fits fine, there are ways to adjust the fit of your existing bushing.  Is it loose on the barrel, or in the slide?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of loose on the barrel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:56:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

If you are good with a micrometer you can measure the barrel in teh bushing area, and the slide opening, and some companies will make you a custom bushing to those specs.  That woudl be the route I would go.  Not really that much difference in accuracy between a colt NM barrel and a regular colt barrel, if they are both fit properly.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you are good with a micrometer you can measure the barrel in teh bushing area, and the slide opening, and some companies will make you a custom bushing to those specs.  That woudl be the route I would go.  Not really that much difference in accuracy between a colt NM barrel and a regular colt barrel, if they are both fit properly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting some sort of extreme gains, but I think there's something that's insanely cool about having a Colt match barrel. I have no idea why. I just think it is. I'm trying to build (or have built) a pistol with all the features a "custom" pistol would have, while keeping it as Colt as possible.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yeah, I'm not expecting some sort of extreme gains, but I think there's something that's insanely cool about having a Colt match barrel. I have no idea why. I just think it is. I'm trying to build (or have built) a pistol with all the features a "custom" pistol would have, while keeping it as Colt as possible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then start with a series 70 Gold Cup, and you will have the barrel and bushing.   That's what I'm doing.  I've already installed a solid bushing (from EGW?) and full length guide, next step is an aluminum wide trigger to replace the steel one.   Mine had very minor finish damage and I picked it up for $600 at an auction.

Next time I have money, I may install a nice beaver tail grip safety and send it off for a Royal Blue from the Colt shop.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Then start with a series 70 Gold Cup, and you will have the barrel and bushing.   That's what I'm doing.  I've already installed a solid bushing (from EGW?) and full length guide, next step is an aluminum wide trigger to replace the steel one.   Mine had very minor finish damage and I picked it up for $600 at an auction.

Next time I have money, I may install a nice beaver tail grip safety and send it off for a Royal Blue from the Colt shop.
View Quote

I live in California. It's not really an option.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:57:33 AM EDT
[#16]
If your barrel shoots well now. Do as a poster above suggests and measure the barrel's OD, and the slide's ID. Do it a number of times, and average the numbers you get. Have EGW cut a bushing specifically for your gun. You can go wide flange, wide flange angle bore, or buy the National Match marked bushing. It will fit your barrel/slide and offer better accuracy. You retain the original barrel, and are only out like 30 bucks.

I had it done for my hardball gun and the fit was perfect. She actually picked up half an inch at 50 yards.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do you know that the barrel fit in a bushing has to be judged with the barrel at an angle as it would be in battery? The 1911 barrel is tilted down to the front in battery, not parallel to the slide of frame. Really, this whole question has become inane. You have no chance of fitting any barrel or bushing to your pistol. Either hand the job over to a gunsmith or forget it before you ruin the pistol or hurt yourself.
Hey, I just had an idea that can fix everything right up - take a letter die set and put 'NM' on your existing barrel!
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 12:59:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Do you know that the barrel fit in a bushing has to be judged with the barrel at an angle as it would be in battery? The 1911 barrel is tilted down to the front in battery, not parallel to the slide of frame. Really, this whole question has become inane. You have no chance of fitting any barrel or bushing to your pistol. Either hand the job over to a gunsmith or forget it before you ruin the pistol or hurt yourself.
Hey, I just had an idea that can fix everything right up - take a letter die set and put 'NM' on your existing barrel!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

At no point did I ever say I was going to fit the barrel, and bushing myself. I was simply looking for a source for a specific barrel I was looking for.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top