Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2015 9:39:06 PM EDT
I decided to try and post up a more in depth look at this build. I had no prior experience with 1911's, and was trying to keep it as reliable and inexpensive as possible. It was not meant be a show piece, as i used a lot of used parts, and there are quite a few blemishes.

Lets start with the frame.

tools used, plunger tube staking device, small punch. small flat head, tweazers and a bunch of small hand files.

bought this from brownells for ~20$. i unfortunatley did not take any pics prior to staking the plunger tube. Here is a link explaining the process.

Next would be putting in the extractor. Again, i didnt get any pics of this process (mostly because i forgot to do it before the first range trip, )
Here is a video explaining that process.

Next is Ed Brown trigger, had to file the top and bottom to fit in my frame. also had to trial and error the diameter of the trigger to fit into frame, but not block the mag.

slide it in through the back

looks good.

next is mag release button. this little sucker took a good amount of filing to fit into the frame. I replaced the spring in this one (from sarco) with an ed brown complete spring kit one. (no pics, sorry)

slide it into the frame behind the trigger, and rotate the screw downward until it snaps into place.

nice tight, but smooth fit.

Disconnecter and sear look like this.

they go together like this.

using the tweazers, slide the disconnector into the hole at above trigger, and align it with the sqear, and proper holes on frame. ( i could not get a good pic of this)

use a punch to hold them in place, then slide in small pin.

Leaf spring is next.

set it into the frame like this, make sure the protrusion at bottom goes into the correct slot, and the spring sits on top of disconnecter, and trigger.

Now i use the main spring housing to hold the leaf spring in place. This housing is from sarco, but upgraded with the ed brown spring and plungers.

Now the Hammer. This is a wilson hammer, but the extender is from a sarco kit.

It goes onto the sear, and aligns with the plunger in the spring housing. line it up and use the larger pin to hold in place. (the correct pin will have a head like a nail, not a notch in the middle)

Now, the beaver tail. This jack ass took a whole lot of filing and fitting. I used fine grit sandpaper on the sides, and a dremel and about 9 files on the protrusion that sits on the trigger. (it took awhile)

This is where i slide the spring housing up and pin in place, this is the pin with the notch in middle. make sure hammer extender is sitting in the middle of the plunger in the spring housing. use a punch to get the pin in place.

plunger into the tube

thumb saftey. This is another piece that took a whole lot of time to fit. I was completely new to 1911's, so it took me forever to find what was catching and where to file.

thumb saftey into the frame, it hold beaver tail in place.

Use the tweazers to push the plunger out of the way, and snap saftey into place.

VZ operator slim grips, use some loctite.

to be continued with slide.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:46:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrel from Sarco. It already had the lug installed, and fit the slide pretty alright.

I know i am getting a little lazy with the descriptions, but the slide is pretty self explanatory. I used a no frills turkish slide from cdnn. I was surprised with the quality, it is really nice, and i had to do barely any fitting to the psa frame. it was a little tight, so i used some lapping compount to fit the two.

line up barrel link with hole in frame.

install slide catch, and line up small cutout in slide to the frame and catch

once aligned, push into place.

I used a wilson bushing on this gun. It took a ton of fitting as well, both inside and outside diameter. spring and spring cap are from sarco kit.

not to shabby.

i swear, it was harder to take these pics, upload them to photobucket, and post them here with descriptions than it was to build this thing.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I  put 200 rounds through it with very minimal problems. (failure to ejects, because i forgot to install the ejector for the first 50 rounds).

The recoil is actually a little snappy. but the trigger feels so good. (glock guy for years). I am very very happy with how this gun has shot so far.

the groupings are ok. the gun could do better, but its my first 1911 and first .45. i will get it figured out.

first 5 shots

next 5

last 5 i took pics of. all shots were taken at 15yds.

This was not a difficult project, but it was time consuming (probably a grand total of 10-12 hours total over a few weeks).

But damn it was fun!
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Awesome!  You are ahead of me on my PSA build, but I hope to have it done soon.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:07:00 AM EDT
[#4]
What finish on the frame?

Looks great.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 12:40:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Looks great.
View Quote

Carbon finish.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:14:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice write up, thank you for taking the time to post this.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:24:29 AM EDT
[#7]
If you were using all new parts what would you have into it on a budget?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 3:21:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Great job, OP! Still collecting parts for my PSA build.  I also went with the Ed Brown beavertail, haven't received it yet.  I'm not looking forward to all the tedious filing!  It looks great on yours.  I've been reading that others went to .220 radius BTs on their builds due to fitting issues (even the EGW one that was recommended by PSA), so I was worried that it wouldn't work out.  This thread is making me antsy to finish this little project up!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:18:31 AM EDT
[#9]
If you have little patience and think a 1911 will slip together like an ar you will be bitterly disappointed.
I have over 30 years using 1911's and know a good bit about them mechanically. Some people like being challenged with a build. I am most definitely not one of those guys. I will buy a used beater colt for 100 bucks more and be done.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 8:48:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Carbon finish.
Thank you.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great.

Carbon finish.
Thank you.

what is carbon finish?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you were using all new parts what would you have into it on a budget?
View Quote

Depending on which company's you go with, buying all new stuff could be somewhere between $600- sky's the limit

Frame was $130
Slide was $100 shipped
I traded a used 11.5 AR barrel for two 1911 barrels and a sarco parts kit  0$ (barrel i traded was worth maybe $125)
All the misc. things i bought from Brownells. Ed Brown and Wilson parts cost me $190
Grips cost 50 bucks. shipped

So i have $470 into it, with all new springs, pins, bushing, beaver-tail... any of the parts that would wear from regular use.
Plus i have an extra of almost everything (including a barrel) minus the frame and slide.

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:49:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

what is carbon finish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Looks great.

Carbon finish.
Thank you.

what is carbon finish?

It is what Palmetto calls the finish on this 1911 frame..
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you have little patience and think a 1911 will slip together like an ar you will be bitterly disappointed.
I have over 30 years using 1911's and know a good bit about them mechanically. Some people like being challenged with a build. I am most definitely not one of those guys. I will buy a used beater colt for 100 bucks more and be done.
View Quote

If you're not challenging yourself, whats the point?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:50:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Great job, OP! Still collecting parts for my PSA build.  I also went with the Ed Brown beavertail, haven't received it yet.  I'm not looking forward to all the tedious filing!  It looks great on yours.  I've been reading that others went to .220 radius BTs on their builds due to fitting issues (even the EGW one that was recommended by PSA), so I was worried that it wouldn't work out.  This thread is making me antsy to finish this little project up!
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/2/2015 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#15]
I am slowly gathering parts for my PSA 1911 build, bought the carbon steel frame and slide. Picked up Remington beaver tail and mainspring housing from CDNN for about $16 each, fit like a glove!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Do we know who the frames and slides are made by that PSA is selling? Also is this a 1 time deal or are they going to be selling these on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#17]
DAMN YOU!!! Stop this insanity right now!!! You are making me think I could actually do this!!!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Do we know who the frames and slides are made by that PSA is selling? Also is this a 1 time deal or are they going to be selling these on a regular basis?
View Quote

Not sure who makes them, but, they are VERY well made. They have been selling them for a while, they sell out then they come back in stock. I'd buy one now if want one, I doubt they will get any cheaper!
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for those slides and barrels in the OP's story.  They are surprisingly nicely made.  I put one on a lightweight Brand X frame, and although it is unshot certainly looks and cycles snap caps like it will be just fine.  Pretty good value as opposed to assembling those slide parts individually.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 12:10:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would prefer to spend my time shooting instead of tediously filing and fitting a gun to make it run is my point. Some people like to tinker and get satisfaction out of it and god bless them. My point is I don't like building stuff - not my thing.
There are drivers and mechanics ( and some people are both and enjoy both equally) I just rather drive and leave the mechanics to someone else
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:16:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Because of this thread, I've ordered two frames, one of each and a SS slide.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#22]

Nice build.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Nice write up, OP.  Have to fit the correct link pin to my 16" SARCO bbl to mate to my RIA before I start the shoulder stock project.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:20:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks!
It is a blast to choot.

I have had no issues since properly installing the ejector.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:24:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:  Thanks!
It is a blast to choot.

View Quote

How often did it function w/o the ejector?
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is a blast to choot.

Actually  not to terribly.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:30:49 AM EDT
[#27]
Nice job - I'm impressed!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 2:24:19 PM EDT
[#28]
OP YOU ROCK!

Very cool! I wanna try this!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 4:40:35 PM EDT
[#29]
So maybe this is a question for a different thread, but what is the difference in the carbon and SS?  Which is better and why I guess is what I'm getting at.  I could google it, I'd just like it in layman's terms lol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:05:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

So maybe this is a question for a different thread, but what is the difference in the carbon and SS?  Which is better and why I guess is what I'm getting at.  I could google it, I'd just like it in layman's terms lol.
View Quote

One is made of stainless steel, and the other one is carbon steel (with what looks like a black oxide finish).

I usually buy stainless frames and slides so I don't have to refinish after any fitting & filing, just polish out the scratches and bead blast.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#31]
Nice build review, thanks.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:49:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

One is made of stainless steel, and the other one is carbon steel (with what looks like a black oxide finish).

I usually buy stainless frames and slides so I don't have to refinish after any fitting & filing, just polish out the scratches and bead blast.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Other than the finish, I didn't know if one had better qualities than the other.  Like as far as durability and strength, etc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:51:01 PM EDT
[#33]
great job looks really nice

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 3:32:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Let's drag this one back up to page 1.

This build has inspired me to build a clone of an older Colt Combat Elite. What can these sights be replaced with without having to cut a dovetail?

Will these fit?: http://www.opticsplanet.com/trijicon-hd-night-sight-set-for-1911-colt-cut-handgun.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:47:40 PM EDT
[#37]
outstanding!

I did one myself a few years ago and while I wouldn't do it again (I don't think you save any money really) it was great to simply learn them for future work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Fantastic job.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks.

I have another 200 rounds through it with no issues.

The trigger!! Oh man, .. so crisp!
(Glock fanboy)
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 10:51:02 PM EDT
[#40]
OP, you inspired me.

My homage to an older Combat Elite:
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:21:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
It is a blast to choot.

Edit

Already answered.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 11:23:36 PM EDT
[#42]
View Quote

It's glorious!
How's it choot?
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's glorious!
How's it choot?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's glorious!
How's it choot?

I don't have any mags yet. Or any .45 loaded up.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 10:47:15 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not sure who makes them, but, they are VERY well made. They have been selling them for a while, they sell out then they come back in stock. I'd buy one now if want one, I doubt they will get any cheaper!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I got one for $99 on clearance tonight and they still show in stock for now....
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 2:16:45 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Damn!
That's a heck of a deal!
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 9:30:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This thread will cost me money...Just ordered one.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:16:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Subscribed

My old beat-up LW Commander needs to go to the home for old carry guns.

This thread gives me hope that I can build a 1911 bumming-around-pistol.

One piece at a time.
Link Posted: 9/19/2015 10:37:08 PM EDT
[#48]
I've been curious about those Regent slides. They look pretty good and I've had the itch to build another retro 1911.

I see the PSA clearance frames have been posted already. Numrich did have Para slides for $79. They might be sold out now though. The one i bought  is stainless and had a front sight base already, so that is one less expense. Be aware that they use a proprietary sight cut and some, but not all, use the PXT extractor and will require a sleeve (sold by brownells and sarco) to utilize a standard extractor. Also the ejector slot in the slide is a bit more narrow so the ejector could require some fitting. Just another budget slide option.
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#49]
Good job OP.  Subscribed for future use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top