Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:22:52 PM EDT
So I've got almost 900 rounds through my Gold Cup. I'm starting to think about replacing my recoil spring. What weight spring should I purchase? This is an all around gun, not a bullseye gun.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#1]
16 pounds is the factory weight for 5" Colts.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

+1 ISMI or Wolff
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 8:13:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

+1 ISMI or Wolff
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 ISMI or Wolff

I've always had excellent luck with Wolff, any reason to try ISMI?
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:10:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Another +1 for Wolff.

Try a 16 and an 18 (maybe 18.5? It's been a while..) and see which one you and the gun like the most.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 ISMI or Wolff

No compelling reason.   I have some ISMI springs and they work about as well as anything.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:32:58 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with above posters Wolff or ISMI I would get either a 16 or 18.5.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 ISMI or Wolff

The last ISMI springs I tried were tight on the guide rod. They did not increase in diameter to clear the guide rod either.  ISMI springs may be good material, they don't wind spring worth a shit.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 2:18:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 ISMI or Wolff

Not really Just 2 brands I've used over the years with no problems.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:26:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Gold Cups used to come with very light action springs.  I don't know if that's still the case.  Anyway, I concur that a 16 pound spring is a safe choice in terms of preserving the gun for an "all around" shooter.

I think Gold Cups came with 8 pound action springs back in the day.  Then, they were intended for very light, bullseye target loads.  The instruction manual used to caution against shooting standard, ball ammo in the pistol as it came from the factory.

Did your Gold Cup come with an instruction manual?
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:05:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Question, when are you looking to replace the spring. 5 inch models don't need the recoil springs changed nearly as often as the 4" versions. Unless somthing is wrong with the current spring then go for it. And I would go no less than 16 - 18.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I also know that Wilson Combat sells flat wire recoil springs for 5" government models with a 20 lb spring rate designed for range and defensive use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 6:13:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Question, when are you looking to replace the spring. 5 inch models don't need the recoil springs changed nearly as often as the 4" versions. Unless somthing is wrong with the current spring then go for it. And I would go no less than 16 - 18.5 lbs.
View Quote

It'll get replaced when the current starts to hiccup. But want to have the new one(s) here before that because I carry this beast.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 7:45:48 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
It'll get replaced when the current starts to hiccup. But want to have the new one(s) here before that because I carry this beast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If your rear sight pin starts walking out, it's past time to to replace the springs.

Link Posted: 7/3/2015 10:38:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well in that case I would suggest getting a few extras which never hurts. I need to do the same.
Link Posted: 7/5/2015 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Agree with the 16 lb for the Gold Cup, that's what I ran in mine.

Now keep in mind the GC seem to need cleaned more than other 1911 in IMO. The 18 lb. has more push and can run it longer when dirty again YMMV..  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top