Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2015 3:05:10 PM EDT
I jumped on the PSA 1911 frame deal and now I'm in a bit of a dilemma. Should I have my smith make me a 9mm or another .45? I'll be ordering a slide from fusion in a month or so. I have a bit of a pros and cons list.

Pro .45acp:
Already have a bunch of 45 mags.
I love .45 and shooting it.

Con:
Do I need another .45? (Yes I do, but I want the Dan Wesson valor)

Pro 9mm:
Cheaper to shoot
I already want 9mm 1911 so why not one built to my specs?

Cons:
I would have to buy a bunch of 9mm mags for it.

What is your guys' opinions? Thank you
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
10mm or 400 corbon
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 3:31:46 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm is a blast from a steel 1911 frame.
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Why not "both"?

.38-45 Safestop

Local smith made one, iirc, just a different barrel to convert to .45 ACP
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 5:54:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Stupid phone doublepost
Link Posted: 5/26/2015 7:39:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Do the 9mm. Make sure to post pics and parts list.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Go classic, .38 Super.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#7]
9mm with a ramped barrel. Get a Caspian slide.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
9mm with a ramped barrel. Get a Caspian slide.
View Quote

I was thinking of getting a fusion slide. I had emailed caspian and they said their lead time was 6-8 weeks if memory serves correct. There is another company I was thinking about called CK arms that has a slide I like.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
9mm gets my vote my next 1911 if not a full custom pistol will be some 9mm govt.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Any interest in a 10mm?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:54:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Any interest in a 10mm?
View Quote

A little. Also thought maybe .40 s&w. Also have thought .38 super. But I don't reload so 10mm or 38 super isn't really a viable option for me right now. At least IMO for myself. I've only seen a handful of factory loads for 10mm in my 11 years of being into firearms.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:12:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Chances are the frame is already cut for a .45 feedramp.   Your smith will have to mill the frame for a ramped barrel if you go with anything but .45.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:15:02 AM EDT
[#13]
9 x 25 Dillon
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah if you don't reload 10mm would be off the radar for me as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:59:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hell, I do reload for it and I still never use it.   I'm not hog hunting or doing anything with a pistol that requires ludicrous amounts of power, outside of the occasional bowling pin match.

I'd just as soon shoot 9, 40 and 45 because I have tons of that brass and don't have to worry about retrieving every spent case.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:18:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone care to direct me to some slides? I wouldn't mind caspian, but they have a long lead time. I know I can get it from brownells, but they have the ones with logos and I want a slide without  

I'm thinking fusion or ck arms. I have seen some slides from numrich that are pretty cheap but made by a company called Remsport. I've found some info on them. But not too much.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:08:06 PM EDT
[#17]
sti
http://www.shootersconnectionstore.com/STI-Slide-5-938-Unique-Bald-P819.aspx

GS can mill the slide for sights cocking etc,etc.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:17:28 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Hell, I do reload for it and I still never use it.   I'm not hog hunting or doing anything with a pistol that requires ludicrous amounts of power, outside of the occasional bowling pin match.

I'd just as soon shoot 9, 40 and 45 because I have tons of that brass and don't have to worry about retrieving every spent case.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hunting is why I sort of want to put one together, other than that I agree. My only 1911 would not be a 10mm - but if you have a few already and like to deer/hog hunt............

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 10:47:48 AM EDT
[#19]
I would go 9mm. It's my favorite caliber in 1911's.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:41:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I would go 9mm. It's my favorite caliber in 1911's.
View Quote

Yeah I've pretty much settled on 9mm. Kind of want a Schueeman hybrid barrel
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:52:39 AM EDT
[#21]
How about a .460 Rowland?  I think this would be the perfect platform.

Check it out here
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
How about a .460 Rowland?  I think this would be the perfect platform.

Check it out here
View Quote

I do want a .460. But again, that caliber goes along with the whole reloading issue. One day I plan on having one in the 1911 stable.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Chances are the frame is already cut for a .45 feedramp.   Your smith will have to mill the frame for a ramped barrel if you go with anything but .45.
View Quote

The frame ramp is pretty the the same with both calibers (9mm and 45 ACP) the difference is in the barrel ramp (height and width, etc)...I have
done plenty of standard .45 ACP to 9mm NATO conversions with no Issues using original .45 ACP Colt/Springfield 70 series frames...They all
have functioned perfect and they tend to be easier to time as well for some reason for me...(maybe because I have no so many).

The 9mm round in a full size 1911 pistol is so easy shooting and a real pleasure for many people due to the lower felt recoil vs. the standard .45
ACP round and it is cheaper to shoot as well, etc.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 1:02:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The frame ramp is pretty the the same with both calibers (9mm and 45 ACP) the difference is in the barrel ramp (height and width, etc)...I have
done plenty of standard .45 ACP to 9mm NATO conversions with no Issues using original .45 ACP Colt/Springfield 70 series frames...They all
have functioned perfect and they tend to be easier to time as well for some reason for me...(maybe because I have no so many).

The 9mm round in a full size 1911 pistol is so easy shooting and a real pleasure for many people due to the lower felt recoil vs. the standard .45

Good luck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

It may or may not work with a .45 frame ramp.   Obviously, frame angles and dimensions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you could get lucky... or not.   I think a ramped barrel is probably the smart way to go, but it does require some additional work and cost.
Link Posted: 6/3/2015 5:34:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It may or may not work with a .45 frame ramp.   Obviously, frame angles and dimensions vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, so you could get lucky... or not.   I think a ramped barrel is probably the smart way to go, but it does require some additional work and cost.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good luck.

I would tend to agree with you in that a ramped barrel (weather it is a C/P or W/N version) would likely provide the best feeding and cycling...although that would necessitate modification
to the frame of the pistol for the new ramped barrel, etc.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ordered one of their frames and slides in 4140.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 7:33:20 PM EDT
[#27]
I was on PSA's website and noticed they had their frames back up. So I ordered another one. Almost pulled on 2.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top