Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2015 3:24:22 PM EDT
Hey guys.
I've owned a few 1911s, all 1911A1s.
I just bought a cimarron 1911 based off of the 1918 version.

Will any of the GI style magazines I have work correctly in this gun as well or did the early 1911 design use a different magazine?

Stupid question I know.
Thanks!

Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:33:57 PM EDT
[#1]
In theory, yes. In reality, if you're lucky.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What he said.

Find a brand your gun likes and stock up.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

What he said.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

This.

My SA TRP does not like the cult Favorite Wilson 47D's it does however love the Chip McCormick Power Mags.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:00:10 PM EDT
[#4]
High-quality magazines should work in any 1911 of a similar pattern, in essence G.I. and Cmdr. guns will both work off of any type of G.I. magazine, and officer and CCO guns will work off of any officer magazine.

The differences are with the followers and whether certain followers can lock certain slide stops back.

In reality the split followers tend to work the best in all different types of guns versus the polymer and hybrid ones in terms of locking the slide back.

Devel (CMC) Also work very well, but certain types of chip magazines can mar feed ramps on aluminum guns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:22:05 PM EDT
[#5]
your mags will should work.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 4:33:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This.

My SA TRP does not like the cult Favorite Wilson 47D's it does however love the Chip McCormick Power Mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

This.

I had troubles with my 47Ds in my Kimber Stainless Custom II and switched almost exclusively now to the ETM mag and have had zero issues.  Never been a fan of 7 round mags made into 8 rounders.  If you want an 8 round mag get a mag designed as an 8 rounder.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 12:49:19 AM EDT
[#7]
then you gotta worry about the issue of wider base plates with thinner mag wells.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess I've been lucky.  Over almost 40 years and 5 1911's (4 Colts and a SA) every magazine I've bought works in every gun.  I have a mix of Chip McCormick, GI and no name magazines.  Seven and eight round capacity.  Stainless steel, blued and parkerized.  Curved and flat followers.

My wife tells me how lucky I am all the time.  I believe her.  I do.

Not all 1911's are created equal.  Maybe that's why magazines can be an issue.  Not the magazine, but the gun they're used in.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:36:41 AM EDT
[#9]
The short and easy answer is "Not always", as several have posted.

I have some Kimber mags that work great in my RIA, and okay in my Springfields, but will not even go into a Sig and Colt 1911 I have.  My Wilson's work in all my guns, as do my Chip McCormick's, the other extra mags I have, some SA, some ACT mags, and a couple others, seem to work in most of them but I haven't really tested them in all the guns as I usually stick to the Wilson's.

But my new mags work in my 1911 Colt reproduction just fine, they didn't really change the magazine design, so you don't need to buy "old" mags, just good mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
buy mec-gar...you'll be fine
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:38:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe. My SA Loaded model and my Sig Tac Ops 1911 functions with everything I have, GI mags, CMC Powermags, Wilson 47 & 47D, and one Tripp mag I have. MY SA Champion does not function with the CMC Powermags or the Tripp mag but works with all the others.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 9:44:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I've never seen a 1911 that didn't like Chip McCormick Power Mags.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#13]
i'll stick w\wilsons.

clown
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Wilsons and CmC Power Mags seem to run in just about anything. Mec Gears have worked in all 5 of the 1911's in my family ranging from a cheap PT1911 and RIA to a Nighthawk. Stick with the good name brand mags and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 5/22/2015 9:50:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

This.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

This.

They will fit but may not work. The above is a perfect example, most people love the Wilson mags and I've had excellent luck with them. But they just don't work in some guns. I've seen the Chip Power mags not work in some guns either.

My wife has a compact 1911 that will not feed my reloads from Wilson magazines. It feeds and functions perfectly with STI magazines using the same ammo. You just need to test the mags in your gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2015 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I had troubles with my 47Ds in my Kimber Stainless Custom II and switched almost exclusively now to the ETM mag and have had zero issues.  Never been a fan of 7 round mags made into 8 rounders.  If you want an 8 round mag get a mag designed as an 8 rounder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What he said.

This.

EXACT same issue here - 47Ds are tough to seat in my Custom Ii compared to the Kimber mags.  Comparing the two, the 47D's mag catch notch cut is a hair lower than on the Kimber mags, requiring noticeably more "push" to firmly engage a loaded mag.  Waiting on a Chip mag to see if they seat easier than the Wilsons. Probably gonna file the notch on one of the 47Ds a hair and see if/how reliability is affected.
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 8:33:40 PM EDT
[#17]
In theory they should; but in reality you need to discover which magazines your 1911s like before stocking up on any one type, regardless of their internet reputation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

In theory they should; but in reality you need to discover which magazines your 1911s like before stocking up on any one type, regardless of their internet reputation.
View Quote
Yep mine hates Shooting Stars while others have excellent luck with them, you just never know until you shake them down and see what your gun likes.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

My colt has really like ETM's and 47D's with upgraded ETM springs and followers.

My S&W gets nothing but Tripp cobra mags for carry and ETM's for range work.

I haven't had good luck with anything else.

Link Posted: 6/16/2015 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Work? Yes, Run? Maybe
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top