Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/6/2015 9:51:43 PM EDT
PSA just put up some "pre-production prototype surplus" frames for $140.  In the thread to them, they promised a busy summer, looks like their 1911 will be finally here.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_2_301/266751_PSA_1911__better_late_than_never_.html&page=1#i2654932

$160 just left my pocket....darn tax and shipping to do an in store pickup.

SS and Carbon available, looks like they only have 600.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20635/s/oem-psa-1911-frame-45-5-ss/

Slide:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20654/s/psa-1911-5-ss-slide-w-novack-sight-cuts-and-frnt-and-rear-serrations/
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:02:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow hell just froze over and I just had a beer with Elvis
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
How difficult would it be to put something like this together?
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

If they aren't out of spec it is pretty easy. I had an old fame that I got years ago at a gun show and put it together with basic tools.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 10:57:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Cut for what beaver tail safety? I'm suspicious about quality.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 11:02:02 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

View Quote
Anywhere from somewhat tedious to just never working at all.

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:10:29 AM EDT
[#6]
if they are usable frames why not use them for production guns assuming they are going to production?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
if they are usable frames why not use them for production guns assuming they are going to production?
View Quote

I have heard that people freaked out over the supposed $2k price of the production ones...so they could be looking to do a more economical option.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#8]
You can buy buy a rock island frame cheaper.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/frm-rockislauto1911parkerizedframe.aspx
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can buy buy a rock island frame cheaper.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/frm-rockislauto1911parkerizedframe.aspx
View Quote

Add the $10 handling fee + FFL fees and no I can't, plus, there is a chance that I will get a checked front strap on the PSA frame.  Some have them, some don't.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:55:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes!! Build a 1911 for under $400!.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#11]
PSA announced matching slides will be available today...production models(with a few cosmetic changes) available soon.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right.
Then add in the cost of another frame from a reputable 1911 company once you throw this one across your shop and cut it in two with a band-saw, after you find out that nothing fits without extensive fitting. (Which is actually the way it should be.)
The "cut for beaver tail" is a very bland statement.
Looks to be nothing more than the standard Springfield MilSpec cut that will fit any "drop-in" beaver tail, but it's not "fit" in any way.

Upon further inspection, it does appear to be profiled. But one should remember that there is still some blending that needs done when fitting a beaver tail GS.
I'll pass.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Right.
Then add in the cost of another frame from a reputable 1911 company once you throw this one across your shop and cut it in two with a band-saw, after you find out that nothing fits without extensive fitting. (Which is actually the way it should be.)
Looks to be nothing more than the standard Springfield MilSpec cut that will fit any "drop-in" beaver tail, but it's not "fit" in any way.

Upon further inspection, it does appear to be profiled. But one should remember that there is still some blending that needs done when fitting a beaver tail GS.
I'll pass.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Right.

I'll pass.

Do they say what radius they cut the frame....I'm assuming .250 but it would be good to know
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 1:02:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I fent.... got a carbon.   i do worry about them being spec, but that's a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:01:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I fent.... got a carbon.   i do worry about them being spec, but that's a decent price.
View Quote

I doubt PSA would have 1400 out of spec frames...
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Pardon my ignorance, but these are the same as an ar15 lower? in which they must be shipped to a ffl?
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Yes
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 2:38:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yes
View Quote

damn, don't think its worth the $30 ffl fee then.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I am undecided.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 3:08:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes

Take into consideration that it is still one of the cheapest 1911 frames out there, and may come with a checkered front strap.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:33:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd go if I could select checkered
Don't feel like gambling
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Forged Steel.
Series 70.
Affordable.

Wonder if they can compete with Caspian for people looking for project guns.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Forged Steel.
Series 70.
Affordable.

Wonder if they can compete with Caspian for people looking for project guns.
View Quote

Caspian sells their "blem" frames through Foster.

And they're VERY competitive.

I'd go with Foster over an unknown PSA frame until they start to show up in the wild.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 4:58:15 PM EDT
[#24]
I got up from my desk and went over to the bench to take a picture for you guys going down this path
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I got up from my desk and went over to the bench to take a picture for you guys going down this path
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/3e91a70930f1b9c260233ab297d64277_zpsamdhdrzj.jpg
View Quote

Those are the standard for 1911 books I've been told from many sources. I own both and have read them a bit Which tells me I don't have the time, tools or skill to attempt building a 1911 at this point in life. Now when I retire, hopefully before I'm dead, its game on!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 5:54:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj67/lsheets65/3e91a70930f1b9c260233ab297d64277_zpsamdhdrzj.jpg
View Quote

Those are the 1911 armorer's bible...very good reads.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 6:32:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always feel you need to be a pretty damn good gunsmith to be able to apply the stuff in those books...

And have 2-3k worth of tools
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 7:53:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 8:43:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The radius is .250".  The web description has been modified.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do they say what radius they cut the frame....I'm assuming .250 but it would be good to know

The radius is .250".  The web description has been modified.

Thanks PSA, also, the slides are available now as well:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/catalog/product/view/id/20654/s/psa-1911-5-ss-slide-w-novack-sight-cuts-and-frnt-and-rear-serrations/

That is an awesome price!
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 9:07:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:52:48 PM EDT
[#31]
I went in for the SS, by the time I FFL I'll be $318 in.  

I'm gambling, yes, but I feel like PSA would rather throw them in the trash than knowingly disgruntle 600 customers and generate a ton of negative talk across the land.
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:55:25 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You obviously never built a 308. (I know, sarcasm)
Link Posted: 5/7/2015 10:56:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I went in for the SS, by the time I FFL I'll be $318 in.  

I'm gambling, yes, but I feel like PSA would rather throw them in the trash than knowingly disgruntle 600 customers and generate a ton of negative talk across the land.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/7/2015 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#34]
$43 shipping for two frames and two slides?

WTF PSA?

Wes
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have been up front about their .308 not being the same as others, as have other companies (i.e. the whole Geissele trigger issue happens on more than PSA ar10s).  I took a chance on this, simply because I know 1911s need some major handfitting.  It isn't as easy as putting an ar15 together, but if you go slow, you can have something awesome.  I wish they had slides in carbon though, I have a carbon frame and a ss slide now.  The slides are still a good $100-$150 cheaper than anything else out there, especially with the serrations, no billboard on the side, and novak cuts.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 8:18:13 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

WTF PSA?

Wes
View Quote

2 frames to an FFL, 2 slides to you?  Or are they on the same order?  Wonder if they will do 1 box or two?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 10:08:24 AM EDT
[#37]
True Novak cuts or Novak "style" cuts I wonder.  The slide is one hell of a deal....the frames not so much, for me at least, since I can get a SS basic 1911 receiver from Caspian for just a little bit more with a military discount.  

BTW ground shipping for 2 slides, no receivers was $8.50 for me based on the website.  I've not pulled the trigger on this deal, but I might...going to mull it over today.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

2 frames to an FFL, 2 slides to you?  Or are they on the same order?  Wonder if they will do 1 box or two?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

WTF PSA?

Wes

Same order in one box...my FFL can receive both frames and slides.  The price for shipping adjusts by $~20 for each frame
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 2:12:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
True Novak cuts or Novak "style" cuts I wonder.  The slide is one hell of a deal....the frames not so much, for me at least, since I can get a SS basic 1911 receiver from Caspian for just a little bit more with a military discount.  

BTW ground shipping for 2 slides, no receivers was $8.50 for me based on the website.  I've not pulled the trigger on this deal, but I might...going to mull it over today.
View Quote

What is the difference in the cuts?  I was always under the impression novak vs. novak style was just in reference to the sights themselves, with the cuts being the same.

IE the colt XSE comes with novak 3 dot sights, while the colt m45 cqb comes with novak-style Trijicon night sites.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 4:53:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What is the difference in the cuts?  I was always under the impression novak vs. novak style was just in reference to the sights themselves, with the cuts being the same.

IE the colt XSE comes with novak 3 dot sights, while the colt m45 cqb comes with novak-style Trijicon night sites.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was my understanding as well....
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#41]
I am seeing the slide as temporarily out of stock!
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well unless Rock Island and the other Philippines 1911s changed to a true cut, their sight cut is slightly off from a Novak cut.  

<ETA> I decided to pass on their slides.  For one I couldn't get a straight answer, hell some where contradictory, to several questions with the reps I talked to and I got transferred around to different, and often wrong departments, several times.  Kinda pissed me off at 0730 and before I finished my first cup of coffee, which admittedly didn't help.  To those who bought them, good luck and happy building.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 12:16:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I hope that something in the s# makes these receivers recognizable vs. their eventual complete 1911s.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hope that something in the s# makes these receivers recognizable vs. their eventual complete 1911s.
View Quote

Nothing like having hundreds of receivers floating around all put together by different individuals. This will most certainly lead to " my psa 1911 is a jam o matic"  " My psa 1911 won't feed " threads when in fact none are actually psa pistols...l
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:29:41 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

View Quote
They said on the slide page that cosmetic changes rendered them as surplus, maybe its a similar story with the receivers.

I'm still on the fence about buying them.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:37:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Question: will thsee psa frames accept a commander length slide and barrel, specifically a bull barrel?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Question: will thsee psa frames accept a commander length slide and barrel, specifically a bull barrel?

Thanks.
View Quote

You cannot put a shorter length slide on to a full size frame. You would need a commander frame or officer frame. Bull barrel would depend on the slide. Slide would need cut for a reverse collar spring plug since you could not use a barrel bushing to hold the spring plug.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You cannot put a shorter length slide on to a full size frame. You would need a commander frame or officer frame. Bull barrel would depend on the slide. Slide would need cut for a reverse collar spring plug since you could not use a barrel bushing to hold the spring plug.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

So this specific PSA 5" frame will not accept a commander slide?
(I have very little experience with 1911's other than chootin 'em)

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:30:55 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Thanks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Thanks.

If it is a true to spec frame, then no. It will not allow enough slide travel as the slide will hit the recoil shoulder prematurely. Without modification it would most likely not work.
Eta: I have found some examples online where people just slapped a commander slide on to a gov frame and it worked, but it is still not correct. It is more than likely directing recoil energy in places they should not be, plus it will not be as reliable for ejection.. Plus it will probably look funny lol.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 12:29:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I ordered 2 frames yesterday and slides showed out of stock.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top