Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2015 1:31:17 AM EDT
Looking to pick up a 1911 later this year, and dont know much about the differences and options across all manufacturers. Im coming from primarily Glocks and all of my guns are 9mm, so i want one .45 and id like a nice 1911. So here goes,  

Intended Purpose - Range gun, not planned for carry or self defense.
Budget - would like to spend no more than 1000.

"Wants" - full size, 4 or 5 inch model
             - Not worried about ambi safety, since this will be a range gun only.
             - Would like to be able to add extended slide lock lever for easier manipulation, but not a necessity.
             - Need at least 3 dot sights, would like to be able to run the Trijicon front sight with a simple black rear.
             - Would LIKE front cocking serrations, but at this price point not many models seem to have this option.
             - Not opposed to a super heavy gun, but a LW model is not discouraged either.
             - Prefer satin or parkerized finishes, dont want anything shiny or polished.

What should i be looking for as to if i can upgrade the sights or being able to upgrade to the extended slide lock? I dont know if they are universal, or only certain models would be able to be upgraded.
Is there anything else to consider? Like i said before, not much experience with 1911s other than shooting some of my father-in-laws. Shot a colt govt model, a Rock Island compact model and a Springfield model, but not sure which one. Ive fondled several in local shops of several brands, and so far i like the Ruger LW model in looks and feel, but they dont seem to be too popular online or around the forums.

A bunch of questions i know, and some of them are probably stupid, just looking for some help as i get confused at all the options out there. Thanks
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 1:42:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at a Springfield loaded parkerized.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 4:27:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Or the Range Officer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 6:49:48 AM EDT
[#3]
A range officer with a Harrison rear would be more ideal IMO than a loaded.

Both are great pistols but that's my pick
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:23:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A range officer with a Harrison rear would be more ideal IMO than a loaded.

Both are great pistols but that's my pick
View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Well I guess that been solved!
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:53:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Well I guess that been solved!
View Quote

I'd see if you can get a MC Operator for 1100 bucks.

More gun, and it can be the first and last 1911 you will ever own and you won't complain.
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 3:36:39 PM EDT
[#7]
" />
Quoted:
Or the Range Officer.
View Quote

RO Champion model.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 3:23:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies fellas, ive handled several of the Springfields at the last gun show I went too before I really knew about the differences in models. Ill be a little more informed this time around when it comes time to buy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 8:05:53 AM EDT
[#10]
skip the extended slide stop. They are universal in that all 45 cal models will work with 45 acp.
Link Posted: 4/28/2015 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#11]
This
Quoted:
Or the Range Officer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/28/2015 11:22:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Springfield RO with Harrison sights
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top