Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 3:04:49 PM EDT
Does anyone appendix carry a government-size 1911? If so what rig are you using?  Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Does anyone appendix carry a government-size 1911? If so what rig are you using?  Pictures would be greatly appreciated.
View Quote

Ive tried this several different times with different rigs.

I have tried the Raven ACR. Absolute no go. Not comfortable, grip stick out something awful. Not enough range of adjustments IMHO

I have tried an INCOG as well. Full size is a no go, not exactly comfy, grip sticks out a bit. However, this setup does work with my 4" officer framed RO compact. It feels a little awkward but does work well. I still don't find it near as comfy as 3 oclock which the INCOG still accommodates due to the wide range of adjustments

Maybe Im doing it wrong, I don't know. I cant find a way to carry a full size 1911 both comfortably as well as meeting my high standard of concealability

Id be interested to see how the Eidolon does when it is released for a 1911s. I may try that as a last ditch thing, definitely ordering it for my compact vs full size however.

RO compact appendix carry.

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 4:45:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for when I get home.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I gave appendix another shot last night.

It must just not be for me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2015 2:27:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:23:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I sometimes carry a Ruger SR1911 AIWB but mostly its the EMP

Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

<a href="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Krankypants/media/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Krankypants/media/569166F2-F0BD-4DAC-BD7B-3341AE105F6D_zpsskfsxrvi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/569166F2-F0BD-4DAC-BD7B-3341AE105F6D_zpsskfsxrvi.jpg</a>
View Quote

Does it print much?

That's the main reason I wont carry that way.

The grip stick out the front of my shirt something awful wearing a looser polo shirt
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:48:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:27:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow them Keeper Holsters be pricey!
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 2:31:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Those set ups look great until you have to sit down. Can't see them being real practical for those of us ( most of the office work lifestyle which is the majority of people these days)  who go from sitting to standing and back again 100 times a day
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:05:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quality carry gear seems expensive at first...until you've been using it for a while. Then it's the best investment you've ever made.

At this point I don't even ask what holster prices are. I just go for what will let me conceal effectively and carry comfortably...because I carry every day of my life. An extra 50-100 bucks over another holster that will let me do that with more comfort and ease is completely worth it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quality carry gear seems expensive at first...until you've been using it for a while. Then it's the best investment you've ever made.

At this point I don't even ask what holster prices are. I just go for what will let me conceal effectively and carry comfortably...because I carry every day of my life. An extra 50-100 bucks over another holster that will let me do that with more comfort and ease is completely worth it.

Shew you weren't joking at the price. I was like meh its probably a 100 dollar holster, nope! $170!

Any way you could post some pics up of it John_wayne777

The only pic I see of it doesn't look super impressive, but looks don't matter if it works

Ah I see the review page now, either way Id like to see your setup
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:38:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I got no problem unloading the cash for one, if it would work for me.

Im thinking my body type is just not ideal for appendix.

Im a small framed dude. 5'6'' @160. I don't have a belly, but Im far from the 145# of straight muscle I was years back in HS.

I can conceal a fullsize with no problems at 3oclock. But throw a compact on at appendix and I feel like everyone can see it. .

I just wish I could try one before buying it as Im already around $200 deep into appendix holsters that don't work for me

Theres also the chance I am expecting too much concealability from appendix as well
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 3:57:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't know that I could cough up $170 for Kydex.
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

<a href="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Krankypants/media/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/33C38F81-2ECE-4CEF-94CE-E7DEBDE2C43A_zpsz8f4xlhg.jpg</a>
<a href="http://s214.photobucket.com/user/Krankypants/media/569166F2-F0BD-4DAC-BD7B-3341AE105F6D_zpsskfsxrvi.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc286/Krankypants/569166F2-F0BD-4DAC-BD7B-3341AE105F6D_zpsskfsxrvi.jpg</a>
View Quote

More pictures of that gun, pls, because that sexy bitch sure as shit ain't stock
Link Posted: 4/16/2015 9:58:10 PM EDT
[#16]
It's about the only way I can comfortably conceal a 1911 without a jacket.  Due to barrel length, a higher riding holster seems to help me.  

Some Jim Zubiena AIWB 1911 awesomeness for fun.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 6:07:11 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry a full size grip, 4.2" barrel 1911 iwb at 12 o'clock in a PJ Holsters tuckable holster and my belt is the Crossbreed instructor belt which is has no buckle making 12 o'clock carry easier
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:46:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Explain ( or pictures would even be better !) of how you sit ( car or office chair) with such a rig on? Looks like it would jam into the groin and really not work sitting?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 8:55:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 12:26:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Has anyone tried Wild Bill's Covert Carry?
Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:00:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

More pictures of that gun, pls, because that sexy bitch sure as shit ain't stock
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No she aint

Or were you talking about this one?

Link Posted: 4/17/2015 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Sexy as hell, and the best application of the White/Zebra VZ's I've seen so far
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 1:26:49 AM EDT
[#24]
Need to see more rigs!  I'm thinking about trying Wild Bills Convert Carry holster.

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/covert_carry.htm
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:30:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Still looking for pictures and explanation of how sitting works with this set up
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#26]
I don't have any pictures of me sitting with it but it sits high enough that it is above your groin when sitting. Comfort is a non issue as you will forget it is there.

One plus is it is easier to draw when sitting in a car with a seatbelt on.
Link Posted: 4/21/2015 10:27:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Still looking for pictures and explanation of how sitting works with this set up
View Quote
It does not work well if you are overweight IME.  I make adjustments while sitting, but it is in a easy spot to do it.

Not to seem like an ass, but do you currently have a 1911 and an IWB holster?

If so, just put it in the front of your pants (without strapping in).  Or just do the same with an unholstered 1911.

That's basically how it works.

Link Posted: 4/22/2015 6:50:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I've tried it without a holster(unloaded of course!) and it seems pretty concealable and comfortable enough.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 9:47:54 AM EDT
[#29]
I currently have 3 1911's but am on the chubby side which seems to be abig factor ( pun intended) this would appear to be a skinny guy only option. I have a very well made and designed appendix holster for my glock 42 I am testing out and even with a gun this small it seems to shift around a lot when going from sit to stand frequently. For a walk or at the range when standing all the time it would be fine but just does not work for me.
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Not all of us can see our shoes when we stand.

Being on the plus size, I can't comfortably carry appendix either.

Digs into my fat rolls.

Yeah, I know....lose weight.

Any other bigger guys, successfully AIWB?  Pics?
Link Posted: 4/22/2015 11:10:34 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

I currently have 3 1911's but am on the chubby side which seems to be abig factor ( pun intended) this would appear to be a skinny guy only option. I have a very well made and designed appendix holster for my glock 42 I am testing out and even with a gun this small it seems to shift around a lot when going from sit to stand frequently. For a walk or at the range when standing all the time it would be fine but just does not work for me.
View Quote
Everyone has different body types.  I tend to get "love handles" before my belly gets big, so that makes a traditional "Summer Special" bad for me.

I also like AIWB because I can make constant adjustments/checks that likely go unnoticed vs. reaching back to 4:30.
Link Posted: 4/24/2015 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Most of the holsters I would label as "bad" for AIWB carry have that problem. They do not tuck the butt of the gun up against the body, which makes it print like a mofo.....

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Does it print much?

That's the main reason I wont carry that way.

The grip stick out the front of my shirt something awful wearing a looser polo shirt

Most of the holsters I would label as "bad" for AIWB carry have that problem. They do not tuck the butt of the gun up against the body, which makes it print like a mofo.....

Stop being so fat and it works fine.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 3:03:07 AM EDT
[#33]
Why in the world would you want to do this?  It's stupid.  The gun is not suitable for this mode of carry for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Why in the world would you want to do this?  It's stupid.  The gun is not suitable for this mode of carry for obvious reasons.
View Quote

AIWB is nothing new, as people have been cramming guns down the front of there pants since the invention of belts.   Your statements come off as uninformed, at best.  Please share the data or personal experience which lead you to conclude that AIWB is stupid and to support your last statement.

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

AIWB is nothing new, as people have been cramming guns down the front of there pants since the invention of belts.   Your statements come off as uninformed, at best.  Please share the data or personal experience which lead you to conclude that AIWB is stupid and to support your last statement.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm new to the concealed carry world, so I would also like to know why this is not a good idea.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 7:00:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I'm new to the concealed carry world, so I would also like to know why this is not a good idea.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there certainly are reasons as to why some would consider it "not a good idea", the biggest being, if you screw up, you die.  Just because it's not the best suited method of carry for everyone doesn't mean it can't be the best method for someone.

There are positives to appendix carry:  
1- easier to conceal service sized handguns.
2- quicker from concealment (even if merely by tenths)
3- easier to control/protect/defend while in holster (very few people "bump" into your pelvis)
4- easier to draw from sitting/driving position.

And there are negatives:
1- shoot your femoral artery and you bleed out in <60 seconds.
2- very dependent on shooter shape/size.
3- requires purpose built holster, may have to try several, and even then you're not guaranteed comfort right away or at all. 1/4" tweaks left/right or up/down make a big difference.
4- not allowed in gun games, and most trainers shy away.

These are just a few.  There is plenty of information around about AIWB, don't try to get it all here.  In fact, there's one very dedicated pistol forum with very dedicated people who prefer AIWB, so there's a ton of info and experience there.  Do some googling/research, and decide for yourself.  My #1 suggestion is to honestly assess your level of gun handling safety/competency, and base your decision to appendix carry on that.  Also, while certainly not mandatory, handguns with hammers and/or manual safeties are generally safer for AIWB.  That said, I've appendix carried a G19 for years now, only recently changing to a VP9.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It's fine when you're standing but horrible when you're sitting.  The barrel is too long.  This thread is about 1911s with 5" barrels.  If you sit down in a chair with the gun carried the barrel or bottom of the holster rests on top of your thigh and there will not be enough room between your thigh and your beltline.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2015 10:49:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's fine when you're standing but horrible when you're sitting.  The barrel is too long.  This thread is about 1911s with 5" barrels.  If you sit down in a chair with the gun carried the barrel or bottom of the holster rests on top of your thigh and there will not be enough room between your thigh and your beltline.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really depends on your physique and using a purpose built holster. Other than the miserable weight, have no issues appendix carrying a Wilson CQB Elite and sitting down or driving.  I've been carrying a G19 in a Keepers holster made for a G17 for years.  The longer holster stabilizes the gun.  I ended up with the Keeper because I can raise/lower and adjust can't.  I like the gun to sit higher with a slight reverse cant, this prevents the holster from digging into my leg and still easily allows for a full grip.  I also find that the way different pants/jeans fit me play a role in comfort.

Truth is, it takes a lot of holster trial and error and finagling with each to find what works for you, if anything at all.  There are plenty of people that appendix carry a 5" 1911, quite comfortably.  I personally know some that carry a G34.  All I'm saying is, just because you don't find that it works for you is no reason to assume that it can't or doesn't work for others.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 11:00:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

I carry my SA Pro between my right leg and my third leg. No issues when sitting, as evidenced by my end-stage dunlap disease.
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#40]
When I was a medicine resident in the ED, I saw a homeboy who came in half-bled out when he shot off his dick and blew a hole in his femoral artery with a gun stuffed down his pants.

I know it's not the same thing, but that's all I think of when I see appendix carry
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 7:29:44 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2015 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Precisely.

And even if you find a holster you like, there's no guarantee that holster will work well for another pistol. (Learned that lesson the hard way)

It takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right.

...and sometimes dropping 4 or 5 pounds.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Truth is, it takes a lot of holster trial and error and finagling with each to find what works for you

Precisely.

And even if you find a holster you like, there's no guarantee that holster will work well for another pistol. (Learned that lesson the hard way)

It takes a lot of trial and error to get it just right.

...and sometimes dropping 4 or 5 pounds.

Quoted for truth.   I went though almost a year long period where I couldn't AIWB carry comfortably anymore because I got lazy and put on an extra 10lbs (fat and happy.. i.e. complacent).  It's not for everyone, and it takes persistence (and $$$ invested in holsters) to really determine if it works for you or not, but it's by and away my favorite method of carry for many of the reasons I stated previously.  

Cheers
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 11:24:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Check out JM Custom Kydex for a purpose built AIWB holster for that weapon. I just got one in for my G23. It is so ridiculously comfortable and concealable, I just placed an order for a custom unit fitted for a 5" SA MC Operator... with a X300 Ultra attached. I'm that confident in those holsters.
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

I appendex carry most or my guns but not a 5 " 1911 . Why you ask ? Because its a great way to crush a nut! Owwwwch carefull when you sit down buddy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top