Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 7:20:24 PM EDT
This afternoon I stopped by a local gun shop to browse. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I've been wanting a Colt Combat Elite since I was a freshman in high school in the 80s. Lo and behold, I spied this gem in the case with a 'used' tag on it. I'm not up on aftermarket parts as much as some, and this one's got a lot of them on and in the gun.

Pics!

The serial number is CG084XX, and I'd like to know when it was made. It has the original-style Commander hammer, Wilson Combat fixed target rear sight, Pachmayr mainspring housing and Colt medallion grips, Wilson GI guide rod and plug(I put them in there), and the split bushing that makes disassembly/reassembly a pain in the butt. There is a small smudge/scratch on the 'Combat Elite' emblem on the right side of the slide, but it is otherwise in VERY good condition. The front strap looks like it's been striated, maybe checkered, but I haven't pulled the grips off yet to see. It looks like a previous owner put a lot of work into this pistol.

Any help in identifying the parts and approximate age of the gun would be very much appreciated. This one has all the parts I would have eventually changed, like the ambi safety and original-style hammer, and everything on it is smooth. The tag said that it had a trigger job, and I believe it. Smooth, crisp, a huge improvement on the combat trigger on my Detonics Combat Master. I got it with two mags, one Colt stainless 7-rounder and a blued Pachmayr 7-rounder, for right at a grand out the door, including sales tax and TICS fee.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:37:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Front strap should be serrated. I have a old Combat Elite that I had customized by Marianne Carniak. $1k seems pretty steep for that gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 7:40:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I paid almost $100 in sales tax on the gun, too. I've been looking for a pre-enhanced Combat Elite for awhile, and this one has the features I wanted, so I'm not going to sweat the fact that I might have overpaid a bit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#3]
hot shit.

what are you doing in the morning?
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 9:24:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Wanna go shooting tomorrow? I do.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 10:34:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, I paid almost $100 in sales tax on the gun, too. I've been looking for a pre-enhanced Combat Elite for awhile, and this one has the features I wanted, so I'm not going to sweat the fact that I might have overpaid a bit.
View Quote
I wouldn't either. I've overpaid for a few myself just because I wanted them. I managed to get my Combat Elite for $525 and then dumped another $400 or so into it. It is one of my favorites.

Link Posted: 3/28/2015 11:01:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Beautiful
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 1:51:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I shot it this morning.

Good shootin' pony
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 7:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]

At the range with Fin today. The target rear sight takes some getting used to, and it's set for 25 yard bulls-eye shooting. I may replace it with a fixed combat-style sight at some point, but not yet. The pistol was 100% reliable today, and so was the Detonics Combat Master, which was surprising. Last time I had it out I had nothing but feed/eject problems, but replacing the recoil springs seems to have cured the issue. I was ripping off mags as fast as I could pull the trigger with both guns, and only caught a single spent casing to the nose from the Colt.

Fin's Champion Operator is also the proverbial shit, as I enjoyed shooting it, too. It's stupid-accurate and coming close to edging out his TRP as my favorite 1911..... that Fin owns.

Dave: The aftermarket parts I've identified so far are a Wilson Combat ambi-safety, King's #206 grip safety, Wilson Combat fixed target rear sight, Wilson Bulletproof GI guide rod and plug, and Videcki trigger.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:15:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 8:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, this thing's a 1990s Practical/Tactical gun all the way. I like the lack of front slide serrations, sweet blue finish, and non-tacky rubber grips.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Really nice CE.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 9:44:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Good shooting this morning!

Need to find out what trigger was in that Glock though.  
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 4:19:01 PM EDT
[#14]
According to Colt this pistol was made in 1987. It took just a few minutes for them to look it up, and I spent less than 45 seconds on hold.

A word on some of its aftermarket parts. The pistol oroginally had a FLGR installed, which turns out to be an older one-piece Dwyer Group Gripper. These were once used as a way of tightening up the rear of the barrel's fit to the slide lugs. I've read both good and bad about them, but most of the detractors' arguments are "a poor substitute for a custom-fitted barrel". Wilson still makes the GG, though in a two-piece that should make field-stripping the pistol much easier. I'm putting it back in for now, and I'm betting the pistol will shoot better the next time it goes to the range.

This gun is a late 80s/early 90s "shooter". Nothing has been permanently modified except for the frame where the King's #206 grip safety was blended/fitted. I may or may not keep the rear sight, an old Wilson Combat "Deluxe High Visibility" piece. I don't care for its looks but it presents a clean sight picture. The finish is too nice to CCW, so I should probably find a nice gun rug for it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#15]
At least you have the -before- pictures to prove it wasn't you that put the idiot scratch on it.  

Nice Colt!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

You never over pay, you just buy too soon.  Quality fire arms if kept in the same condition go up in value at or faster than the inflation rate.
Link Posted: 4/3/2015 12:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You never over pay, you just buy too soon.  Quality fire arms if kept in the same condition go up in value at or faster than the inflation rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

New Combat Elites aren't cheap, and I don't like them as much as the old pre-enhanced ones. Mine is just retro enough to make it cool, yet has the nicer blued finish of older Colts and no front cocking serrations, which I prefer.
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't think it would have been  possible for me to take that to the range without at least pulling off those weird rubber grips and dropping in a set of wood double diamonds first.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 2:01:17 AM EDT
[#19]
I have to curse you OP. After this thread I'm thinking about picking up another Colt to have some work done.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I don't think it would have been  possible for me to take that to the range without at least pulling off those weird rubber grips and dropping in a set of wood double diamonds first.

View Quote

The weird rubber grips are correct for the gun, and feel good in the hand. They cover up checkering on the front strap which Colt did at the factory, which is odd. I think black grips looks better on two-tone 1911s, so they stay on for now. They also match the Pachmayr mainspring housing, something I've been looking to add to my Detonics Combat Master, as it originally had one.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:21:01 PM EDT
[#22]
That is some old school eighties flair, right there!!!

I am not extremely hip on how the grip safety was fitted to the frame tangs...BUT...for an eighties piece, it makes it look almost spot on.  As long as it all works 100 percent...I say keep it that way.  

As far as it being too pretty to carry?  Pshaw....wear the bluing off of it, I say
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

View Quote

What we overpay for today, could be a steal tomorrow.  Never sweat paying good money for good steel.

Link Posted: 4/5/2015 3:38:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
That is some old school eighties flair, right there!!!

I am not extremely hip on how the grip safety was fitted to the frame tangs...BUT...for an eighties piece, it makes it look almost spot on.  As long as it all works 100 percent...I say keep it that way.  

As far as it being too pretty to carry?  Pshaw....wear the bluing off of it, I say
View Quote

I'm a child of the Eighties, so it's only right that i carry Eighties Iron. The Detonics is  from 1978 and is my daily carry gun, too. I'm not manly enough to carry it on my ankle, though.

'Scuse me, gotta' warm up the Testarossa.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The weird rubber grips are correct for the gun, and feel good in the hand. They cover up checkering on the front strap which Colt did at the factory, which is odd. I think black grips looks better on two-tone 1911s, so they stay on for now. They also match the Pachmayr mainspring housing, something I've been looking to add to my Detonics Combat Master, as it originally had one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Only Colt would serrate the frontstrap and then cover it up with rubber.

First thing I did with my Delta Elite was to remove the factory wrap grips,put them someplace safe, and put on dead tree though.  1911 grip frames are large enough without adding more thickness to the front.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 6:27:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Beautiful pistol
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top