Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2015 1:11:17 AM EDT
I picked up a Springfield at an estate sale.  Like new (non-ramped).

When I took it apart, I noticed the barrel was missing the link & pin.  No biggie - I dug out some spare parts and plopped them in.

Now the slide won't go completely into battery.  It stops about 1/4" short.

If I swap it out with any other 5" barrel I have, it cycles and locks up just fine.

The barrel looks like a brand new Springfield barrel from its markings.

My first inclination is to get a surplus "drop-in" barrel and see where I sit.

But I know just enough to be very dangerous and I suspect the lower lugs may need some filing to bring the barrel into time...  Is that the case?

I'd rather not start filing on a barrel that is just fine only to learn it's something else that is the likely issue.

So, what's the hive have to say?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 8:54:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 1:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree and that's sort of my problem.  First, I don't know if there's something wrong with the barrel to begin with...

And each of the gunsmith's around here for this sort of work have horrible reputations...  which means I could send it off, but then it's not worth the investment for this gun - I'd rather get a mil-spec drop-in barrel and go from there...
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 10:28:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Going with any other drop in barrel probably won't be an improvement.  Try your barrel without the link installed, it should go into battery.   Without a link, you'll have to press the barrel hood down to unlock it.   It sounds like you have the wrong size link installed.  You can buy a kit of 5 different sizes for about $25.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, without link it racks as expected.
Wrong link huh?  Ok.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:42:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd use the shortest link that will allow the slide stop freely to rotate up and down the barrel lugs.  In other words, you don't want one that is short enough that the slide stop binds at a point on the lugs when inserted into the link (outside the gun).
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Call Springfield.  At one time they made a linkless 1911.  That is not likely to be what you have, but you could email a photo to them and they should be able to tell you what you need.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:57:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The barrel is a fitted part.  The barrel with link and pin are not a drop in unit in most cases.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 2:06:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Call Springfield.  At one time they made a linkless 1911.  That is not likely to be what you have, but you could email a photo to them and they should be able to tell you what you need.
View Quote

They will fix it no questions asked and usually they check out the whole pistol make sure it is 100% working order.  While you send it in you can also have them do custom work on it if you so desire.

WTH RULES ARE RULES PICS! PICS ARE REQUIRED.  Member since 02 you should know better shame shame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top