Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/1/2015 8:13:13 AM EDT
I have decided it is time to finally buy a 1911. I have $850 to spend.  What would be a good 1911 at this price point.  I want a 5" barrel as this would be a range gun and nightstand gun.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
For your stated use, how about one of these.

Some are put off by the polymer mainspring housing, but that is easily changed out.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:53:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Some are put off by the polymer mainspring housing, but that is easily changed out.
View Quote

Op you would never regret this Colt as your first 1911.....
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#3]
If you don't like the traditional grip safety, Bud's has the Colt XSE for just a little more; also has Novak sights.

Colt or Springfield; you can't go wrong. People really like their Rugers and Remington, as well. You've got a number of options.

Keep in mind that you'll probably want a holster and other accessories for the new pistol.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:29:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

For a 5 inch basic 1911 that you don't intend to carry concealed... I don't think a guy could do any better than this. I also agree with the poster who said that you couldn't go wrong with a Colt or a Springfield as I alternate carry duty between my Colt Defender, and my Springfield Champion Operator. Still, for a basic full sized 1911 intended for range/nightstand duty rather than carry...I'd simply buy the Colt that was linked, and call it a day knowing that I had done very, very well.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

For a 5 inch basic 1911 that you don't intend to carry concealed... I don't think a guy could do any better than this. I also agree with the poster who said that you couldn't go wrong with a Colt or a Springfield as I alternate carry duty between my Colt Defender, and my Springfield Champion Operator. Still, for a basic full sized 1911 intended for range/nightstand duty rather than carry...I'd simply buy the Colt that was linked, and call it a day knowing that I had done very, very well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have looked at the Colt you have recommended.  I have also looked at the Ruger Night Watchman, Springfield Range Officer and Standard Loaded.  I like the night sights on the Ruger and Loaded.  Is there much difference between these 4 pistols?  They are all about the same price.   It would leave me room for a holster.  I guess it would be carried at some point, so should I change the mainspring housing on the Colt?
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:33:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, now that we are potentially carrying the gun as opposed to simply using it for range shooting and storing it on the nightstand...My opinion will differ. Now we are looking for a full sized 1911 that will be an all-around pistol used for range, home defense and concealed carry. That makes quite a difference. With those requirements, I'd say that night sights, and a beavertail grip safety are necessary at minimum.
 That being said, I would look beyond Colt for these purposes. I have heard good things about Ruger's 1911 offerings, but have yet to try one out for myself. I am happy with my Springfield Armory. I would suggest that you look for a Springfield Loaded model given your newly stated requirements. If your intended use should change again, I am sure my recommendation would too.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 1:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I didn't mean to mix things up but I guess if I buy one, I should get one I could use for everything.  I'll see what the local store has in stock so I can handle them.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Springfield Range Officer...  Love the ones I've had, 9mm and .45 ACP.  

Not to add another box to your cereal aisle of choices, but another manufacture to look at if you haven't already is Sig Sauer.   The XO Black is right in your wheel house price wise and would not disappoint.

Good luck
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 6:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For your budget and circumstances, THIS is precisely what you should do.  

Do it and be satisfied.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 9:47:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Do it and be satisfied.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do it and be satisfied.

Yes. This.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:05:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Springfield RO and I also seen some Rugers priced pretty reasonable at a show this weekend.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 11:28:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have decided it is time to finally buy a 1911. I have $850 to spend.  What would be a good 1911 at this price point.  I want a 5" barrel as this would be a range gun and nightstand gun.
View Quote

For Both Range and Night Stand Use, My first choice would be A Springfield Armory Loaded With Night Sights. Look for a newer one with the NM Marked Frame They are Made in the USA. They also come with a nice case and Holster and Mag Pouch and 2 Mags, They sometimes have a Promotion going where You can send in a Certificate for Free Magazines. You should be able to find one in the Price Range You listed 850.00
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 12:20:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:11:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Sig Sauer
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 1:12:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I gotta agree with the Springfield Range Officer or Loaded.  I prefer the sights on the Loaded better if carrying.

I also ALWAYS suggest the Ruger as you really get a lot of gun for the money.

And I own all these.

Buy the one with the features that YOU like.  The Colts are always my favorites, but if you plan on maybe carrying it, the above Colt may need some additional things to get it to where it needs to be.  The Springers and Rugers already have these features for less.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 3:12:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Springfield Loaded parkarized.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#17]
The swelling goes down as your wallet is depleted.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 2:25:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The swelling goes down as your wallet is depleted.
View Quote

I'm starting to learn that. I'll report when I decide which one I get. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#19]
Springfield Range Officer
Springfield Loaded
Springfield Milspec
Colt 1991
Colt XSE
Link Posted: 3/18/2015 10:48:38 AM EDT
[#20]
there are a lot of great suggestions for you.  is this your first 1911?  i have said this before and will say it every time.. start slow and then speed up.  i have known a few guys that will jump on the 1911 bandwagon and go all out on their first purchase..and some.. have ended up not happy.  some don't like the beavertails, sights and some do, along with other various configurations and setups.  personally. i would start out with something like the Springer Mil-Spec or the Remington R1.  shoot the hell out of it, break it in good, then look at some add-ons.  with $850 to play with.. you could walk away with a great fun gun and shooter...still have money to dump on ammo, mags and a holster.  then you could always come back and throw down on the goodies.. ext. thumb safety, beavertail, trigger job..etc..etc.. i started out with both of the afore mentioned 1911's and then added what i wanted and liked.  both are about the same set-ups but i found i liked one with this and the other like that.. so..buy..shoot..and play around to your liking.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Review

I'd go with this^^^^^

Springfield 1911 Loaded.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Springfield Armory 1911 Loaded Review

I'd go with this^^^^^

Springfield 1911 Loaded.
View Quote

this

Link Posted: 4/18/2015 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Before you go  plunk down $850 on a 1911, that may not have all of the features you need, or want, i suggest you go handle a few that do.I would recomend a dan wesson model, if you have a store that stocks them. In my experience contrary to the hive here, colts can be hit and miss.Alot of the colts i have  seen, need a bit of tweaking to make  them.100%. I think springfield makes a decent pistol, but if i remember right, the RO, does not have front strap checkering.I would not want a 1911 without that. Shop around and handle alot before you buy.Sending a pistol to a good pistol smith to get features added, or make it reliable, will  be way more costly in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 12:48:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Sig Sauer
View Quote

My first 1911 was a Sig Scorpion. I love that gun to this day. Out of the box, 1000 rounds down the pipe with no lube and no cleaning and never a hiccup.  Carry it often.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
I vote Springfield.  Loaded or RO.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Can't go wrong with colt or springer.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 3:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
One of these: HERE
wait until you can afford and don't look back.  I have this gun and it's a great gun to shoot, very accurate too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2015 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I vote Springfield.  Loaded or RO.
View Quote

This.

Although, the S&W E-Series 1911s offer a ton of features for the money. I had a stainless railed model, the TA, and it was the most reliable 1911 I've ever owned. The only one that came close was an older "Billboard" stainless S&W 1911. That one was a JRD-prefix that was rumored to have been built in their custom shop the first year of production.

That said, I'm now the owner of two 1911s, an older Colt Combat Elite and a Detonics Combat Master. I like traditional-styled pistols now, but wouldn't hesitate to own another S&W 1911 again.
Link Posted: 4/20/2015 8:32:04 AM EDT
[#29]
I just Pro Formed my first 1911.  Went with the Springfield Loaded Operator w/ rail.  Now the wait begins for them to charge my card and ship it
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top