Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2014 11:37:53 PM EDT
Assuming steel framed 5" .45

Every 1,00 rounds? 2,000? 5,000?

whats a reasonably priced good quality spring? what weight is best?

I've read factory spec is 16# but a lot of people like the Wolff 18.5#

Not looking for some cryotreated moly coated vunderspring. just something that less than say $10.00 from brownells or midway and will last as long or longer than a "GI" spring.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#1]
When it compresses 1/2-3/4 shorter then a new one at rest.

I have never found a 18.5 to be needed when shooting factory non +p ammo.

All I run is 16 lb and change them out as needed.

I always keep around six to a dozen Wolff spring sets around. [FP and recoil spring sets]

I think some people use a heavier spring with the expectation that they don't have to replace it as often.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 12:10:13 AM EDT
[#2]
My preference is for 16# spring every 3k
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 7:46:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I called Sprongfield and they advised 5k or so. Basically when the brass starts being thrown noticeably farther than when new. Springs are cheap, 3k is probably a good number
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:30:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I replace them when I get to 3500 rounds or the gun starts to malfunction and it has more than 2500 rounds on it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they last longer than I expected.

anyone have a Brownells part number for a quality 16# spring at the lowest possible price.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:36:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think some people use a heavier spring with the expectation that they don't have to replace it as often.
View Quote

if a 16# spring is good enough does a weakened 18.5# spring work until the weight drops below 16#. or do springs not wear out in a decreasing spring weight manner?
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:39:00 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong replacing at 2-3k.  Weight also somewhat depends on the ammo you regularly shoot. +P vs range ammo.

Springs:

http://www.sviguns.com/1101.php?indx=9

I'd give them a call and they'll let you know exactly what you should run.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Wilson Combat has a spring that they say lasts 10,000 plus rounds I think. If I remember correctly it's only $15 or so.

Has anyone tried one of these??
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 11:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Wilson Combat has a spring that they say lasts 10,000 plus rounds I think. If I remember correctly it's only $15 or so.

View Quote

No.  But the flat springs you're referring to from wilson require a new thinner guide rod assembly because the springs are thicker.  You're also stuck with minimal selection of weights.  Doesn't look like they have the 45 kit ($50) in stock either.

I will be switching to this actually when the recoil master in my STI needs replacing since I need a guide rod anyways.

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I default to Wolff springs for any gun spring needs
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Wolff or ISMI is fine
go by length or 5,000 which ever comes first.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:44:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like they last longer than I expected.

anyone have a Brownells part number for a quality 16# spring at the lowest possible price.
View Quote

Wolff

They sell direct
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 8:56:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 17lb spring in my TRP from larue. They are like 7 bucks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2014 10:40:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I default to Wolff springs for any gun spring needs
View Quote

I have always used Wilson Combat but I bet Wolff is a better price.
I replace when it starts getting to compressed or when the spring starts feeling different.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 1:11:10 AM EDT
[#15]
I do it every 4k with standard power ammo.

Also change out the FP spring since one comes with the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 6:44:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

The spring is only $15......but you will need the smaller recoil spring guide rod for another $30
Tried one in a Compact, saw little to no difference......wallet was lighter though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#17]
If you really want to stretch your spring life, use good spring like Wolff 18.5 and a shock buff.  Use the shock buff as a gauge for spring wear via how beat up it gets.

Wolf springs have been super consistent for me* over the years, always getting weak at 3-3500 rounds.  So one or two cycles with the old shock buff then you should have a pretty good feeling for when it's time to replace springs.
*.38 super, not .45 so a little different for round count
Other option...  replace with it racks like a .22
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 2:33:18 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you really want to stretch your spring life, use good spring like Wolff 18.5 and a shock buff.  Use the shock buff as a gauge for spring wear via how beat up it gets.

Wolf springs have been super consistent for me* over the years, always getting weak at 3-3500 rounds.  So one or two cycles with the old shock buff then you should have a pretty good feeling for when it's time to replace springs.

*.38 super, not .45 so a little different for round count

Other option...  replace with it racks like a .22
View Quote

Buddy had an AMT long slide. Was having some failures to feed. I shot it and the recoil spring felt like it was about four pounds! New recoil spring solved his feed issues. Now he is missing screws from the AMT adjustable rear sight, somehow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
From Bill Wilson;

5" guns every 2000 rounds

4" commanders every 1500

3" sub compacts every 500 rounds.

If you go with one of the new flat wire set ups from Wilson Combat or Nighthawk. I'm hearing much longer like 25000 rounds in a 5 " gun.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe that a new recoil spring be designed so it may relax enough to lose 1/2 inch of length very shortly after installation and that the reduced length is actually the design operating  length, and that so long that the spring's designed "theta" is maintained, the spring is still serviceable.
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 4:23:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yeah...the flatwire spring setups look pretty darn promising.

In a .45 ACP all I ever shoot is hardball or better so I use a 20 pound spring in my Baer. I'm going to check out the new flatwire offerings, though...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
From Bill Wilson;

5" guns every 2000 rounds

4" commanders every 1500

3" sub compacts every 500 rounds.

If you go with one of the new flat wire set ups from Wilson Combat or Nighthawk. I'm hearing much longer like 25000 rounds in a 5 " gun.

Yeah...the flatwire spring setups look pretty darn promising.

In a .45 ACP all I ever shoot is hardball or better so I use a 20 pound spring in my Baer. I'm going to check out the new flatwire offerings, though...

My SIG 1911 Super Target Nitron came with a flat wire recoil spring.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:22:42 AM EDT
[#23]
america-first,
Quote "I believe that a new recoil spring be designed so it may relax enough to lose 1/2 inch of length very shortly after installation and that the reduced length is actually the design operating length, and that so long that the spring's designed "theta" is maintained, the spring is still serviceable." Unquote.

Recoil springs are made as described above, by some spring makers. The spring does not "take a Set" until installed. These springs are shipped at just over 7 inch free length and take "a set" after installation into the pistol.

Other spring makers "set" their springs as part of their process. These springs are shipped at the design free length of 6.55"

Regardless of maker, once a 1911 recoil spring has been reduced to 6 inches or less through use, it is delivering less than 90% of the original design force.
90% of a 16lb spring is 14.4lbs.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 1:42:26 AM EDT
[#24]
I used to run 17# springs and replace them at 5k rounds back in my IPSC days.  I used either Wolf or Wilson.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:20:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
america-first,
Quote "I believe that a new recoil spring be designed so it may relax enough to lose 1/2 inch of length very shortly after installation and that the reduced length is actually the design operating length, and that so long that the spring's designed "theta" is maintained, the spring is still serviceable." Unquote.

Recoil springs are made as described above, by some spring makers. The spring does not "take a Set" until installed. These springs are shipped at just over 7 inch free length and take "a set" after installation into the pistol.

Other spring makers "set" their springs as part of their process. These springs are shipped at the design free length of 6.55"

Regardless of maker, once a 1911 recoil spring has been reduced to 6 inches or less through use, it is delivering less than 90% of the original design force.
90% of a 16lb spring is 14.4lbs.
View Quote

Yup, the cheap 16lb Smith and Wesson springs i bought for $2.99 @ measure just over 7 inches when you take them out of the package and take an almost immediate set to just above 6 inches after only a few hundred rounds.... They not last more than 1500 rounds until they are well under 6 inches and should be thrown out.

The 18.5lb Wolff Springs I use in my E Series 1911 TA  measure only 6.5 inches when new but lose  only about 1/4 inch in length after about 1500 rounds.(I just measured a spring with 1600 rounds on it against a brand new Wolff 18.5 lb spring)

The 17.5 lb Wilson Springs I also use in that 1911 are similar to the Wolff Springs.

When full size 1911 recoil springs drop to 6 inches they should be tossed, but many incorrectly believe that a spring is no longer good simply because it has been reduced in length by 1/2" from it's length new in the package which isn't the case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top