Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/13/2014 11:08:02 PM EDT
Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a 1948 Colt .38 Super.  It is in excellent condition with a few exceptions.  I really don't know what I should do with this one. . . I mean, It's in great shape, it's beautiful, I love the caliber.  However, It's a collectors piece.  It really belongs with a collector.  I'm not that guy.  I would rather have something current, that I can shoot.  Got it off a co-worker who needed to unload some hardware.

Anyways, I wanted to throw up some pictures and ask what you think would be a reasonable trade?  Or what you think I should do with it?   I would like to seek out a current production 1911 of similar value.  

Thank you looking and any suggestions?  (I know the grips are not original)

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:15:15 PM EDT
[#1]
sorry, those pictures turned out poorly.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2014 11:40:50 PM EDT
[#2]
very cool
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Check out completed auctions on Gunbroker. I'd be willing to bet you could get enough for a pair of 1911s from a reputable maker for that Colt!
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 12:31:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Agreed on the GB completed auctions.  Several have sold in the last couple months.
2k +/- IIRC
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 2:18:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed on the GB completed auctions.  Several have sold in the last couple months.
2k +/- IIRC
View Quote

Vintage Colt 38 Supers go for HIGH.  I have one, but it's been shot a lot (by my self and my late father).  At the time, we did not know how old it was...... it has since been retired.

Most of the time I see those old 38 Supers, they are at least, minimum $1200 starting.... You should go to your local gun shops and just toy about trade in value...see what those crooks---er--- people say.

But Gun Broker and Auction Arms are a good indication.  Check out Arms List too, see what they are asking outright (if you find any).

Great looking pistol.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2014 6:10:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I'll look about a little.  I'll let you all know if I come up with anything.  

Cheers!
Link Posted: 12/18/2014 11:59:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Cabela's has a 1948 one listed online.....

Colt 1911 38 Super (1948) listed $2499.00
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 12:30:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cabela's has a 1948 one listed online.....

Colt 1911 38 Super (1948) listed $2499.00
View Quote

And from what I can tell, the OPs looks to be in much better condition.
Link Posted: 12/19/2014 3:34:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Well it is Cabelas, they often have used guns priced higher than the same one new in their case when they are on sale!

I have bought one gun from them ever and never again. Only reason I bought it was it was a Robinson M96 and you don't see them all that often and the price was about average on it  .
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 1952 Lightweight Commander in 38 Super in similar condition to yours. In the box, shot very little, two original mags. Can't decide what to do with it. Not sure how collectable it is. I could probably double my money by selling it though I am tempted to send it off to a gunsmith to customize as a carry gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top