Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 3:22:14 PM EDT
Got into a really nicely fitted Mil Spec a few months ago, but just don't care to shoot Mil Spec style guns.

Only had it in my hands about 15 mins until I had to go back to work, but so far I'm giving SACS a 9.5 out of 10 on this one.

First, dry firing, the 4lb trigger job is spot on, as with the other trigger jobs I have had them do. The trigger is fitted very well with virtually no play.
The thumb safety has a very pronounce snick on and off.
The checkering, MSH, and colt undercut are perfect.

Again with only 15-20 mins I haven't had a lot of time to look it over, but I like the sight picture the 10-8 NM rear sight gives. Clean and simple but good sight picture.

Now the reason why I am preliminary give it a 9.5, the grip safety is fit well, but blending to the frame is less than what I would have expected from the Custom shop, there is a pronounced "raised" lip where the safety meets the frame, instead of being smooth. It can be felt with a fingernail and fingertip. Most likely once I shoot it and can deal without the pistol for a few weeks, I will send it back to have that fixed. It's minor, but it will most likely still irritate me.

I dropped a few things off my original list to SA due to financial reasons, so the final list is...

10-8 NM rear sight
4lb trigger job
25 LPI high cut checkering
25 LPI Non ILS MSH
Colt Style Undercut
Beavertail Grip Safety
Commander Hammer
Single Sided Ext Safety
Trigger
Set sights to POA POI (no charge)

Before

Crappy S4 pictures.

Here is a poor picture trying to show the lack of blending on the grip safety.

Edit:

And Springfield is on the ball, already emailed them about the grip safety and when I am ready to send it in, they will take care of it. While I would prefer that the safety be blended correctly the first time, I realize that things happen and that Springfield stands behind their work/product.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
How is the feel of the GS when you are holding it and it is depressed?

Just an FYI, it seems to smith preference on how they want it blended.  Basically, A nice seemless look for the camera vs a nice seemless feel when you are shooting it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#2]
That thing is nice.  Really nice.

Just a question about that grip safety blending.  Does it line up better when depressed?  From the picture it looks like it would. But I'm not sure if that's where the problem is.  

Interesting rear sight they put in there for you.  I think the original rear has dots on it.  No?
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That thing is nice.  Really nice.

Just a question about that grip safety blending.  Does it line up better when depressed?  From the picture it looks like it would. But I'm not sure if that's where the problem is.  

Interesting rear sight they put in there for you.  I think the original rear has dots on it.  No?
View Quote

It is difficult to describe the grip safety. Best I can describe it is when you run your fingertip across the flat part of the frame towards the grip safety there is a small "ridge". The safety should have bend blended better with the flat of the frame. It is purely cosmetic and will in no way affect function.

The original rears are a 2 dot setup but over the years i have grown to lkke a plain black rear and a single dot up front. Everything else done is perfection. The trigger is as good as my Valor now.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:21:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

The 10-8 U notch is nice, even with a black sight.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 10:10:31 PM EDT
[#5]
How much did the custom work cost?

I'm debating which 1911 to buy as my first 1911 (sorta - went halfs for a Para Ordnance with my brother back in the early 1990's ... what a piece of junk), and am debating between trying to save money and just have a few things done to the pistol, vs. buying a new one with most of the bells and whistles.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:15:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How much did the custom work cost?

I'm debating which 1911 to buy as my first 1911 (sorta - went halfs for a Para Ordnance with my brother back in the early 1990's ... what a piece of junk), and am debating between trying to save money and just have a few things done to the pistol, vs. buying a new one with most of the bells and whistles.
View Quote

Cost was $800 for the work. Well worth it. The Mil Spec makes for a great base gun. I wanted a Stainless Springfield setup the way I wanted, so this is the route I went.

I would also suggest you look hard at the DW Valor. The Valor is arguably the best production gun on the market. I have a Valor and love it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:54:27 AM EDT
[#7]
The grip safety appears to be fit correctly.  It's supposed to be smooth when it's depressed.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Since it is difficult to explain the grip safety, here are two pictures.

The first doesn't bother me and when depressed the lines match, the way it should be.

When you run your finger over the flat of the frame in the direction of the arrow, there is a raised lip from the frame tangs to the grip safety, again it is a purely cosmetic issue that won't affect function. It probably wouldn't bother most people. It doesn't keep me up at night, but SA has already agreed to blend it better.

All of the other work performed was 100% and I couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:13:39 PM EDT
[#9]
So the grip safety is wider than the frame?

Make sure it's the same on both sides, a little side to side play is normal.

It doesn't bother you to have flush cut hammer and sear pins without an ambi safety?  I can't handle that and have to change 'em out for the right pins.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep same on both sides, not really any play side to side or up and down. No the pins don't bother me. Don't know if any of my 1911's have non flush pins.
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking gun! SACS does great work...
Link Posted: 10/31/2014 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Very Nice!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top