Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2014 9:22:15 AM EDT
I'm thinking about a 1911 45 for a coming home present for myself

I have around $700 to spend on a 1911 what is the opinion on the STI Spartan V?

Thanks

Free

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 2:44:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been impressed with the ones I have handled.  I have a lot of time on 2011/1911s and while the Spartan is on STIs low cost end, it s a good pistol and easy to upgrade.  I would suggest ordering it through Dawson Precision so you can get some freebie upgrades from Dawson for it.

Thank you for your service.  Welcome home.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Get some Tripp mags and it will run like a big dog. I bought a 9mm STI Trojan from Dawson and had it hardchromed by Virgil Tripp who makes Tripp magazines and he is the T in STI. Superior customer service, lifetime warranty. STI parts assembled in the Phillipines. Do it!

Welcome home!
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 11:24:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd go for the trojan. Seems like you get a lot of extra good stuff for the money.
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:43:28 PM EDT
[#4]
I was not impressed with the Spartan. It shot more accurate and had a better trigger than other sub $900 1911's I have owned. However, the fit and finish was a Philippine gun. I had to fit a aftermarket mainspring housing because the frame hole was slightly off, the machine marks were really rough and the slide to frame fit was not even close to flush at the rear.

My best running 1911's are both STI Trojans. They are a huge step up in quality than the Spartan.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:03:39 AM EDT
[#5]
I've owned a 9mm for a year or two.  Seems to run OK.  One of my friends has a .45 that he's shot the hell out of.  Aside from needing a chamber reaming from the get-go, no problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 1:10:18 PM EDT
[#6]
With STI you really get what you pay for.  If you can swing the price of the higher tier guns it's more than worth it.  Not at all saying that the other ones are bad, there's just a large leap in quality.

I love mine, and the quality (other than the finish--which is their weakest point) is amazing.  They're also a great company to work with and have a great warranty -- my suggestion would be finding a place with a few Spartans and picking the one with the best fit.  My Tactical 4.0 1911.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
For that style and price range I'd recommend Springfield Range Officer, tho I'm sure the Spartan will be fine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#8]
If the III, IV, and V generation is anything like those that were sold the Spartans were all 5", I think they are an outstanding buy for the money.  Mine ran perfectly, took any ammo I put through it, and was spectacularly accurate.  CS at STI is excellent.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 9:07:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I had to tune the heck out of my Spartan III to get it to run correctly. Granted its a 3" gun, but you could definately tell it was a Phillipino gun.

Buy a Springfield, or as you are military as well go to the Buds qualified professionals program and buy a Colt for $800

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top