Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2014 6:19:49 PM EDT
out of the box.

Took the new gun to the range today and nothing. No marks on the primers at all.

Took the gun apart and removed the firing pin and see nothing wrong.

Send it in or is there something I can do?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#1]
First this is to check and make sure the ILS system is in the unlocked position.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:49:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First this is to check and make sure the ILS system is in the unlocked position.
View Quote

THIS

Look at the Mainspring housing....there are two dots that indicate state of the internal locking system (ILS)...the dots should be in the vertical position...if the dots are horizontal (side by side) the gun is locked and you will need to use the provided tool to unlock the gun

second point of order.....remove the ILS
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#3]
The ILS is off(stacked)
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#4]
You're implying that the hammer is dropping smartly when the trigger is pulled.  If that's the case the ILS is not in-play.  I'd assume that the results would be obvious, but try the pencil test.  Insert a pencil, eraser first in the muzzle, letting it fall back to the bolt face.  Holding the pistol vertically, pull the trigger.  The pencil should be launched out of the muzzle, verifying (or not) the function of the fire control system, and fp.  Gotta be something obvious like a burr in the fp channel.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:22:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Lock the gun open and with a pen or punch, push on the end of the firing pin.  Should be able to see it poke out of the breech  face. If not, remove the , pin, and spring to figure out what is wrong.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#6]
You could have a short firing pin. Happened to me with a nib springfield champion model a few years back.

Call springfiels and they sent a new pin over night.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The other thing to check would be the over travel screw on the trigger being set incorrectly causing the sear to stop on the 1/4 cock notch (springfield's hammers usually have a 1/2 cock and a 1/4 cock notch) The 1/4 cock notch is just shy of the firing pin, but almost looks like it's down all the way.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:21:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Originally Posted By chrismartin:

The other thing to check would be the over travel screw on the trigger being set incorrectly causing the sear to stop on the 1/4 cock notch (springfield's hammers usually have a 1/2 cock and a 1/4 cock notch) The 1/4 cock notch is just shy of the firing pin, but almost looks like it's down all the way.
View Quote
I think it is this.

I backed the screw out 2 turns and it will now launch a pencil out the muzzle.

There is nothing on this screw in the manual. What is the correct way to set it?

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 12:28:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think it is this.

There is nothing on this screw in the manual. What is the correct way to set it?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Originally Posted By chrismartin:
I think it is this.

This is a FREQUENT cause of this discription of malfunction and has also happened to me. I HATE a lot of slop in a trigger, so I find myself taking up the travel in an adjustable 1911 trigger.

Correct way to set it? There's much said about this, Google yields much. That said, again, I HATE a lot of trigger travel. my method is to tighten the over travel until I produce the failure to fire that you speak of, this is easy to determine, tighten the screw , cock the hammer, release hammer slowly all the way downm repeat until it gets "stuck" at the "half cock". then back off slightly until it is a clean release all the way down to make contact with the firing pin. Now you're set for minimum travel without the failure.

Caveat, there are MANY opinions on this, I am **NOT** a gunsmith, This is how I arrive to MY personal preference. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#10]
after making sure the hammer and sear hooks no longer rub when pulling the trigger and slowing dropping the hammer back off the screw another 1/2 to full turn and loctite in place.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 4:24:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I fired a 100 rounds today with no problems. The slide failed to close completely a few times but know this is normal on a new gun.

Thank you

Ned

Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:03:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I think it is this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is this.

Unscrew it all the way.  Put some red loctite on it then screw it back in jusssst enough that it isn't an eyesore.  I HATE overtravel screws.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I fired a 100 rounds today with no problems. The slide failed to close completely a few times but know this is normal on a new gun.

Thank you

Ned

View Quote

Da fuq? a 100 rounds? That's not even enough to masturbate to! Go get a few hundred round boxes of white box, go back to the range and don't post again until your hands and arms ache and the barrel is glowing. Then, you've shot the effin' thing!
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 12:28:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Thank you

Ned

View Quote

That is not normal at all.  You need to diagnose and correct the problem.  It ain't gonna heal on it's own.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#15]
I went on lunch.

100 was all I could get in.

The gun is very tight. There may be another thread. I have read many times to put 500-600 rounds through the gun before freaking out.  

Such nice big holes in the target did put a smile on my face.

Link Posted: 10/28/2014 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
after making sure the hammer and sear hooks no longer rub when pulling the trigger and slowing dropping the hammer back off the screw another 1/2 to full turn and loctite in place.
View Quote

this is correct way and is best done without the mainspring housing in place just working the hammer by hand to feel for interference from the sear
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

this is correct way and is best done without the mainspring housing in place just working the hammer by hand to feel for interference from the sear
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

An improperly adjusted over travel screw can lead to damaged sear and hammer surfaces, or an unexpected full auto experience.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 8:41:48 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I went on lunch.100 was all I could get in.
The gun is very tight. There may be another thread. I have read many times to put 500-600 rounds through the gun before freaking out.  

Such nice big holes in the target did put a smile on my face.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top