Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2014 8:46:42 PM EDT
i am looking to buy myself a 1911 as a "job well done" gift to myself.  The valor really caught my eye asthetically, but i am not a 1911 person.  I want it for the nostalgia/americana/historical factor also.  Am i missing any obvious other contenders in the $1500 range
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i am looking to buy myself a 1911 as a "job well done" gift to myself.  The valor really caught my eye asthetically, but i am not a 1911 person.  I want it for the nostalgia/americana/historical factor also.  Am i missing any obvious other contenders in the $1500 range
View Quote

No, buy the Dan Wesson.
The Valor is a fantastic gun. Any other gun in the price range that I would recommend is another Dan Wesson. czcustom.com sells them all

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 11:56:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Get it. If the price isn't an issue for you then you will love it.

Out of 4 1911's that I've had the valor is the one that has stayed.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Great guns, and well worth the price. You might look at a Springfield TRP in that range, but the Valor is much more of a traditional configuration. Springfield has that stupid guide rod, ILS mainspring housing, ambi-safety and overly aggressive 20LPI checkering. This is all stuff I wouldn't want.
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 9:00:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I got nothing other than Do Ett!!!

The Valor is arguably the best production 1911 out there.
The only thing I don't really care for are the straight 8 style sights, but I'm to lazy to change them out.

I FO'd on one last year. Haven't regretted it yet.

Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:31:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Great pistol. Do yourself a favor and spring for the duty treat finish. Pictures cannot do it justice.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 10:52:54 AM EDT
[#6]
im gonna drive around and see if anyone has the valor with the duty coat...so i can see in person.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#7]
DW makes great stuff. The only pet peeve I have (that would require no less than a dremel and no more than a Wilson Combat BP upgrade) is that the back edge of the safeties on most of them are really sharp and hits right on the back "knuckle" of my thumb because of how high I grip the gun.

Just something to be aware of; I think your inclination to get a DW for the $1500 price range is a solid move.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DW makes great stuff. The only pet peeve I have (that would require no less than a dremel and no more than a Wilson Combat BP upgrade) is that the back edge of the safeties on most of them are really sharp and hits right on the back "knuckle" of my thumb because of how high I grip the gun.

Just something to be aware of; I think your inclination to get a DW for the $1500 price range is a solid move.
View Quote

That sharpness was not an issue with my Valor or Heritage nor with any DW I have seen. Not that I am disputing, but I have never seen it.

The Valor is the best crafted 1911 I have ever seen in that price range. Buy it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That sharpness was not an issue with my Valor or Heritage nor with any DW I have seen. Not that I am disputing, but I have never seen it.

The Valor is the best crafted 1911 I have ever seen in that price range. Buy it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's on that pic three posts up from my first one. Not radiused much at all.

But I have bigger hands, so maybe that's part of it. Idk. But either way, DW makes solid stuff.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 3:31:11 PM EDT
[#10]
so...i looked at the TRP.  seems very solid.  the comment above about the guid rod and bushing is above my knowledge level.  What i did not care for is the nascar type advertising on the trp.  they have stuff written all over the place on that thing.  if my frind asked my how the trp shot...i would sound like jeff gordon,  "the lowes sunoco springfield armory michelin trp shoots nicely"
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:18:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
so...i looked at the TRP.  seems very solid.  the comment above about the guid rod and bushing is above my knowledge level.  What i did not care for is the nascar type advertising on the trp.  they have stuff written all over the place on that thing.  if my frind asked my how the trp shot...i would sound like jeff gordon,  "the lowes sunoco springfield armory michelin trp shoots nicely"
View Quote

LMAO. I thought I was the only one that noticed that. The only 1911 I have ever owned was a Springfield Mil-Spec and it kind of had the same thing going on with it. It ended up being a problematic handgun and I sold it. Been itching for another 1911 and have decided on the Valor. Not that the TRP isn't a good 1911, I just don't want to settle for anything less than the DW Valor this time. It's setup exactly how I want it.

And it's super sexy and clean. Not a NASCAR style 1911 as noted.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
not a dig or put down of the trp...my neighbor has one....he never even noticed all the branding.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 6:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

The TRP is a great 1911, but the valor is a better product in my opinion.  All forged or tool steel.  Hand fitting, etc.

If you're gonna get one, get the valor.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The TRP is a great 1911, but the valor is a better product in my opinion.  All forged or tool steel.  Hand fitting, etc.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 8:55:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Agreed with the safeties on the DW's. Well known to be sharp. Mine isn't too bad when shooting but it is noticeable.

The TRP is another nice gun and I am a big fan of SA, however, the stupid tactical stamp, 20lpi checkering, and non undercut trigger were deal breakers for me. Other than Sights, the Valor offered what I wanted in a 1911.
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 9:08:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Both the Valor and the TRP are great 1911's but between the two I'd say get the Valor. I absolutely hate the ILS system in the TRP, when are companies going to realize consumers overwhelmingly hate that crap. Offer it as an option if you want put putting it in every gun is just stupid.

Another possible option in the same price range is a used Les Baer Premier II
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top