Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2014 11:32:55 AM EDT
I have had my sights on a Valor for several years now. I'm just not sure if I am ready to drop $1500 on a 1911 though. The Heritage looks really nice for just a few pennies over $1000. What is the difference between the two besides the front strap checkering?

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have had my sights on a Valor for several years now. I'm just not sure if I am ready to drop $1500 on a 1911 though. The Heritage looks really nice for just a few pennies over $1000. What is the difference between the two besides the front strap checkering?

View Quote

The Valor was my pick, I don't remember the differences, but the fit and finish of the Valor grabbed me.  I have a Dan Wesson VBob and would highly recommend the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 11:52:32 AM EDT
[#2]
The checkering, sights, and grips are places where the Valor wins. The Heritage has the serrations on the top of the slide though, which is really nice.

Quality of parts is the same. I would be surprised if the fit is not as good as the Valor too.

I have a PM-9 and a Valor and the PM-9 is every bit as nice as the Valor even though the Valor is their top of the line.

Link Posted: 10/17/2014 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The checkering, sights, and grips are places where the Valor wins. The Heritage has the serrations on the top of the slide though, which is really nice.

Quality of parts is the same. I would be surprised if the fit is not as good as the Valor too.

I have a PM-9 and a Valor and the PM-9 is every bit as nice as the Valor even though the Valor is their top of the line.

View Quote

I spoke with a Dan Wesson rep about the pistol, and I thought he said these get some extra hands on love for QA on the fit and finish.  That has been several years ago, so don't remember the specifics.  Either way I agree they are both great pistol choices, but I really love the checkering, night sights, and bobtail on mine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've handled and shot both. Both are very nice, but I will give the edge to the Valor.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I typed a nice comparison for both but my ipad crashed
Not doing it again

Both have similar triggers
Both have similar barrel fit
Both have similar frame to slide fit
At least on the ones I have

The Heritage makes a nice base gun if you don't want 25LPI.
Link Posted: 10/18/2014 8:34:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I typed a nice comparison for both but my ipad crashed
Not doing it again

Both have similar triggers
Both have similar barrel fit
Both have similar frame to slide fit
At least on the ones I have

The Heritage makes a nice base gun if you don't want 25LPI.
View Quote

I've had both also and I echo this. It's basically the same gun with a few slight differences. Grips, sights, checkering on the valor. Heritage has the polished flats and serrated top strap. They are equally nice in terms of fit, making the heritage one hell of a deal for $1000. I found the polished sides a little slick feeling for a gun I wanted to make into a "combat" 1911 so I had the slide and controls done in black nitride.
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 9:47:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Good replies guys. Exactly what I was looking for. If the Heritage had the front checkering, I would be all over it and just replace the sights and grips. Tough decision. Going to see what the bonus looks like next month and that will probably influence my decision
Link Posted: 10/19/2014 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Well you know what they say....

Eta: if you want something other than 25LPI, the Heritage is a nice pistol to start with.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#9]
The Razorback is a thing of beauty

Link Posted: 10/20/2014 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Don't let the front strap checkering detour you if you love the gun. I had one of my 1911's checker front strap for $125.00 and it turned out great. Now if your going to change the grips and sights you would be better off just getting the Valor. One of the best looking 1911's on the market if you ask me.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:37:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Hell of a decision. They are very similar but something about the Valor just does it for me. All the way down to the name and logo. I don't think I'll be happy with anything less. Just going to have to pony up the dough now
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 8:55:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me put it in this perspective for you.

I have a Valor. I love it, and you will love it if you buy it. It broke my bank, but I never once looked back, even when I almost needed the cash.
That said, if money is an issue, buy the Heritage, because it is a fabulous gun by a fabulous company. You will save $500, and you will have a GREAT gun.

Now, if you don't buy either and buy some $500 gun or some knock off, you will just want to DW more and spend more money later. (Which inevitably you will do, but you will be unhappy after not long.)

OR

You can spend $1100 and get a RZ-10 Dan Wesson and 10mm because you're awesome.

Best of luck, and post pics! If you have any doubt at all, BUY THE HERITAGE! You won't regret it. I stand by the statement that you will not find another 1911 for the quality at the price of $1000. You just won't. I only bought the Valor because I couldn't find the Heritage, and a Valor in Black popped up for $1200, used, in pristine like new condition.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:59:26 PM EDT
[#13]
^^^^^

$1200 for duty treated valor is a great price
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 10:31:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^^^^^

$1200 for duty treated valor is a great price
View Quote

Yeah it was. I drove three hours in the dead of night to get it.
The fella also claimed it was used in the Guns and Ammo review of the DW Valor, and if I found the article then I would see the SN is the same and is the gun. Never found the article, but never really cared. Mighta been BS, might not have been. Don't really care. At $1200, it was mine either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top