Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2014 10:45:23 AM EDT
My dad has always wanted a 1911 but never got around to buying one. He's in poor health and doesn't get out much, so I'd like to get him a decent 1911 for his birthday (October) or Christmas that he can occasionally take to the range. Looking for a decent mid-tier gun that's not a jam-o-matic, not too heavy and won't break the bank. Maybe sub $1000? I'm a Glock guy so don't know much about these sorts of things.

Would appreciate any recommendations you guys might have.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:50:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Just buy a Colt "70s repro" and be done with it.
Priced around $1k and your dad will recognize the brand.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:21:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Can you get used?       I've seen tons of like new condition Springfields, Colts and Kimbers ~$700 over the years.    

A full size, aluminum frame one would be ideal, but even a steel one wouldn't be too heavy, I would think.  

I would look to your local shooters for a FTF, and try before you buy if at all possible.  

So many good deals.  http://www.slickguns.com/1911-deals

Would about a RIA new?
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the above replies.

Would prefer to go new as there are some gun shows coming up in the next couple of months. Looking for some recommendations that I can check out at the upcoming shows/LGS. Also, don't have a lot of time to be chasing down used guns due to job/family stuff. Mainly looking for brand/model recommendations to help me narrow down my search. Wouldn't be opposed to picking up used @ one of the shows or local LGS if I stumbled across one. I'm trying to decrease my chances of picking one that's going to need a lot of tweaking.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Rock Island Armory. Great guns, great price and you wont beleive the quality, fit & finish, reliability and accuracy right out of the box. I bought a new CS tactical, same size as an officers model and it is one sweet pistol. Gave under 500 tax and all for it new.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 12:41:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Any Colt or Springfield Armory govt sized ie 5" barrel. will work.

If weight is a problem you could look for a full size with a Al frame. Recoil will be more thats the trade off.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt 1991
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:04:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Way below your price but the Rock Island Tactical I had is nice and you can get 2 for your budget. Can get the 2011 model too which has a rail.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Rock Island Armory. Great guns, great price and you wont beleive the quality, fit & finish, reliability and accuracy right out of the box.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#9]
RIA.  Surprisingly good guns for the money, especially for the casual user.  Not everyone likes the 1911 and RIA gives people a chance to try the platform before laying out serious coin.  I would go with the Tactical for the better sights  but the basic 1911A1 is also a fine choice.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 2:19:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy your dad a Colt .
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I like my S&W E-Series.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:57:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
RIA.  Surprisingly good guns for the money, especially for the casual user.  Not everyone likes the 1911 and RIA gives people a chance to try the platform before laying out serious coin.  I would go with the Tactical for the better sights  but the basic 1911A1 is also a fine choice.
View Quote

Mine had been perfect.

There's one in the EE too

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 7:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
SA Range Officer
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:54:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I have both a Rock Island and an ATI... Both are Phillipino and both are under $500.  I prefer the ATI...the finish, accuracy, trigger are all superb.  I did have to "ramp" the back of the barrel to get it to feed properly.  I got the Rock Island because ATI doesn't have a double-stack 45.  I had to replace the barrel on that one, but I still have less than $700 in it.

If you want something reliable out of the box, probably a better bet would be Colt, Springfield, or Kimber in that order, but all of those are at least half-again to double the price.

Just my $0.02 and worth every penny.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:55:54 PM EDT
[#16]
STI Spartan. Under $800.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#17]
there are many dift types. everyone has an opinion.

a 500 dollar gun isnt necisarily worse than a 1500 dollar gun
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#18]
There's actually a gun show this weekend. I'm going to go check it out with the above suggestions in mind. Thanks to everyone that's replied!
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:04:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Relatively cheap, SA Range Officer
Less than cheap, DW Valor, it is a lot of gun for the money.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Rock Island if going cheap, Ruger just because.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I vote for the Springfield Range Officer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 6:59:20 PM EDT
[#22]
The Ruger 1911 is pretty damn slick for the price... I see them as low as $630 for the commander model I have been looking at.

My personal favorite is the Sig Traditional Tac-Ops, but thats far from a traditional 1911 since it has a external extractor.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:21:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Look at both the Springfield Armory Range Officer and Loaded models, and pick whichever one has the features and sights that you want.
Springfield's customer service is outstanding in case you ever have a problem and their pistols are very good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#24]
My opinion of the newer "lower end" Springfield Armory 1911s are not positive since most of the parts are made/forged in Brazil. I have handled and shot dozens of them over the last few years and a SA loaded now and a SA loaded from 10 years ago are not the same level of quality, but the price continues to grow with inflation and demand.

The range officer is a pretty nice pistol but I despise, absolutely LOATH target blade sights on a 1911. And with the way the slide is cut for them its not like you can just slide in a Novak...

With that said I loved my TRP, it was such a well made handgun, and if you look you can find them for around $1k lightly used.

My point is if I had a choice between a partially foreign made Loaded or a Ruger thats made 100% in America and less money. Its a no brainer for me... YMMV

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:11:58 PM EDT
[#25]
During the past year, Springfield has cut off their Brazilian connection and now claim that all parts for all models of their 1911 are US made.  There apparently was an announcement at a recent Shot Show and their Customer Service reps will confirm the situation if you call them. More info on www.1911forum.com.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My opinion of the newer "lower end" Springfield Armory 1911s are not positive since most of the parts are made/forged in Brazil. I have handled and shot dozens of them over the last few years and a SA loaded now and a SA loaded from 10 years ago are not the same level of quality, but the price continues to grow with inflation and demand.

The range officer is a pretty nice pistol but I despise, absolutely LOATH target blade sights on a 1911. And with the way the slide is cut for them its not like you can just slide in a Novak...

With that said I loved my TRP, it was such a well made handgun, and if you look you can find them for around $1k lightly used.

My point is if I had a choice between a partially foreign made Loaded or a Ruger thats made 100% in America and less money. Its a no brainer for me... YMMV

View Quote

Springfield switched to 100% domestically produced in the middle of 2013.  The examples I've seen of currently production is stellar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2014 9:44:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

As stated above, Imbel is no longer in the picture, that said Imbel makes pretty damn good stuff. I would agree that the N marked guns were fit and finished poorly compared to the NM marked guns (at least in my local area)
I would take a SA pistol long before a RIA or Ruger 1911. The dozen or so Ruger's that I have seen here locally were fitted like shit.

The heine ez lock has proven for me to be a heck of a replacement sight for the rear adjustables.

Link Posted: 8/27/2014 11:19:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
During the past year, Springfield has cut off their Brazilian connection and now claim that all parts for all models of their 1911 are US made.  There apparently was an announcement at a recent Shot Show and their Customer Service reps will confirm the situation if you call them. More info on www.1911forum.com.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Springfield switched to 100% domestically produced in the middle of 2013.  The examples I've seen of currently production is stellar.

Thanks for the info, I did not know they switched back to domestic frames. This is good to hear  

I did notice that the product catalog had a much smaller selection than they used to, with they still made a all stainless champion...

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#30]
How about a Colt 100 year anniversary? It has classic lines for your dad and you can find it for a grand.

Model number O1911ANVIII. Sorry for the crappy photo. I can take other photos if you would like.

Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:43:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Remington R1 and Springfield are both under $550 for the A1 clone.
Add 50-100 for stainless steel.

Got mine from CDNN.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 8:57:22 PM EDT
[#32]
i just bought a ria in 9mm and really like it!!!!dont forget sig!!!i have one of those that has been 100% also.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:06:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Colt Government model is the only choice.  I would buy a carbon steel (blued) 70 series reproduction. I would also consider the 80 series if cost and availability were factors.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:14:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Gift for your Dad, I say go Colt.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 9:44:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I vote for the Springfield Range Officer.
View Quote

This will be my next 1911, so this gets my vote.

Rock Island Armory's are also dead-solid-reliable guns, but I get it that some guys don't like guns that were made overseas. I love mine though.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#36]
FPNI
If you give him a Colt you won't have to explain what it is. Just like there are better AR 15s than the Colt and there are cheaper ARs than the Colt there are none that are more recognizable than the Colt.

Gold Cup $1079
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 3:46:44 AM EDT
[#37]
MY VOTE/OPINION:

priced lowest to highest (approximate of course, YMMV):
Rock Island Armory, Remington R1, Ruger SR1911, Springfield Armory, SIG Sauer, Smith & Wesson, Colt

....Gentle nods to Magnum Research and Taurus

But if it were my money, I'd go RIA or Ruger.  Both have decent customer service (Ruger's is arguably second to none), both are high quality at a good value, both start with the leter "R", both recieve high reviews from large samples.

However, I have obviously not owned ALL of these guns and there are so many 1911's to choose from just as there are so many brands of AR15s... AMERICA!!!!
Also, I wouldn't buy a Colt just so "he will recognize what it is" or "you won't have to explain it" as I would hope that at this point in your father's life that he can recognize what a handgun is, and can tell the difference between it and other household appliances like say, "a blender".  Cuz if not, making smoothies with him could get very dangerous :)

GOOD LUCK REGARDLESS!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Springfield or Colt 5'' guns.
Link Posted: 8/31/2014 2:36:12 AM EDT
[#39]
Springfield Loaded. I got mine for around $800 and it has been flawless. I will never understand why people choose the RO over the Loaded... target sights just don't seem right on a 1911 to me. I'd much rather have the battle night sights that come on the Loaded, but to each his own. Not that it is a deal breaker, but Springfield 1911s come with a great carrying case filled with all sorts of goodies like a mag pouch, holster, replacement grips, etc... nothing special, but a nice bonus.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:02:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I went to the gun show this past weekend and handled a ton of 1911's. I ended up coming home with a Ruger 1911 for about $650 OTD. Trying to look at the pistols from my dad's perspective, the Ruger felt the best in my hand and had better sights IMHO for my old man's eyes. He's owned a lot of Ruger firearms over the years and being Made in the USA is a plus. It was too wet this weekend to take it out to the family land to shoot in. And this weekend is looking soggy as well. Maybe next week. Will try to get up some pics.

I truly appreciate all of the feedback you guys gave. My dad is going to flip out when he gets it. He's going to be 67 this fall and has always wanted a 1911. I know he's going to bitch about me spending too much $, though...
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 3:49:56 PM EDT
[#41]
A fine choice
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A fine choice
View Quote

Ruger 1911's are solid for the price, a 4.25" is on my short list

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 10:28:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I need a new son.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 11:15:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I would take a SA pistol long before a RIA or Ruger 1911. The dozen or so Ruger's that I have seen here locally were fitted like shit.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:35:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I picked up a SA RO last week and my dad got one this week; both are in 9mm and stupidly accurate.  We got them for plate shooting at one of our clubs we belong to.  The adjustable sights are nice on a target gun, which is what the Range Officer was built for.  It's not a combat/carry gun, it's supposed to be an entry level competition gun!  This allows you to dial in to your ammo that you are using to ensure you are getting the hits where you want them.  If you want a loaded, get a loaded, if you want a 1911 with adjustable sights that doesn't break the bank, get a SA RO.  

SA is also doing a promo when you buy a gun they will send you 3 free mags for it, too!
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:51:12 PM EDT
[#46]
Your Dad will love the Ruger. I've had mine for about two years now, and it has been flawless.  Good choice.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:54:12 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd recommend a Springfield Loaded or Range Officer
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:16:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Good choice on the Ruger. Regardless of what your choice was, I'm sure your dad will be happy. And it will have a sentimental value to him. 1911's have soul, plastic guns not so much.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:47:20 PM EDT
[#50]
If you want an American made , buy a Ruger SR1911

Absolutely great pistols
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top