Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2014 2:54:24 PM EDT
probly a dumb question,however im curious about the s&w 1911"s.i have had nothing but  good luck from all my s&w guns from ars to revolvers old and new.the scandium frame models seem really nice,but ive never owned a scandium gun.im eat up with 1911 love and am looking for either a stainless or other model,meaning other than blued or cerokoted.i have a sig in .45 and a ria in 9 mm and love them both.i really dislike ruger based on past guns that nothing but headaches.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not sure what your question is...I'm going to assume you're asking if the S&W 1911 is a good gun and, yes, it's a very good gun, like all S&W's.  I've yet to hear anything bad.  If your budget allows, I would consider one of the S&W 1911 Performance Center guns.  The PC guns are awesome shooters and from what I've seen on reviews they are up there with the big name manufacturers but at half the price.  The PC guns are more expensive than the standard S&W 1911's but for what you get it's definitely worth it in my opinion.  If that's not in your budget, the standard S&W1911 is still a very good gun.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 4:46:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I love my S&W E-Series 1911, been reliable with no hiccups. Shoots better than I do.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 7:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of people like them.

I was turned off of them when the first example I saw had to go back to the factory after less than 100 rounds.

old thread

What I could gather from S&W's little note was that it broke the barrel link.
Link Posted: 8/25/2014 8:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a S&W Pro Series SW1911.  I cannot express how much in love with this ol' girl. She is definitely a keeper. Ran like a sewing machine right out of the box, absolutely reliable. I've had her around 17-18 months and have probably put close to 900 rounds thru her.

It is as accurate as both my stainless SA Loaded and my Colt Lightweight Commander. I am currently saving up to get one of the scandium SW1911SC E-series round butt.

Link Posted: 8/25/2014 9:50:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Absolutely loved my SW1911 E-Series. Had to sell it unfortunately. Hope to get another one sometime.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:39:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an older scandium commander and a Pro. Both are very reliable and accurate. My only complaint is that they both have Series 80 style safeties.
Link Posted: 9/3/2014 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Thankfully, the newer E-Series line does away with the 80's safey, using instead a Titanium Firing Pin and Stronger Spring.

I'm a S&W 1911 fan.  USA made, Lifetime warranty, lack of 80 Series Safety... instead of retyping, I'll just copy what I recently posted in the S&W section on a SW1911TA thread...

Here's another, only had it a few weeks but am pretty happy with it. Trigger was a bit heavy out of the box, so I added a C&S sear spring so now it breaks around 3.75 lbs. Also just added the S&A Magwell today. Ordered up a complete set of wolff springs and Ed Brown GI guide rod, but haven't swapped them out yet. Runs fine with Chip McCormick GI and Power Mags, no issues with typical Range fodder like Fed AE, WWB, etc and also threw some JHP's downrange like Triton 165's and Fed HST's. Did have a very minor bit of dust cover rub on one side, so I hit the inner radius of the dust cover with a jewelers file and she's good to go.

Can't go wrong with the E-Series, imo.  No 80's series safety, rock solid external extractor, USA made and lifetime warrany... '78 reccomends :).

Link Posted: 9/4/2014 1:26:28 AM EDT
[#8]
You can get the E-Series 5" Stainless model without rail for like $800 from Bud's right now.

Get an E-Series
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:46:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the scandium framed sw1911sc model, commander sized. Love ti.

500 round and no malfunctions.

Only thing is, stay away from most +p loads except maybe nosler 185 grain +p's. recoil is stout. regular loadings are fine.

easy to carry.
Top Top