Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2014 4:01:59 PM EDT
I was surprised but my ruger cmd ate it like a champ. I don't plan on shooting it much, however its nice to know it will even shoot shity steel.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I shoot it in my RIA.  Like a fat kid eating candy...

I do not run it in my TRP, Colt, etc.  No other reason than I just don't want to.

When my Wilson arrives, it will never taste Tula...again, only because I wish it not to happen.  It would probably be fine.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:23:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot Wolf and Tula steel with no problems in my Colt and Springfield 1911's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:25:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I run a pissload of Tula in my Glocks of various flavors...never a single problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Just ran 250 through a G23 two weeks ago. No problem except that is some pretty dirty ammo.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 7:29:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot a shitload of Wolf.  Over 5K this year through a Springfield and a Colt.   NO malfs, decent accuracy, lighter recoil, cheaper.

A reliable 1911 is reliable with any in spec ammo.

The steel cases are very soft and won't hurt anything in a good 1911.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:00:46 PM EDT
[#6]

For practice, sure. Especially if you're in an area where you're less likely to be able to recover your brass.

Even if your gun stops up, practice clearing the jam. Worst I've had with it is failing to lock the slide back. That stuff seems to be underpowered.

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I shoot a little of it in my Taurus, runs good.

I generally stick to federal though.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My RO ran through 500 rds with no problems. Shot good.
Practice ammo.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:02:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

For practice, sure. Especially if you're in an area where you're less likely to be able to recover your brass.

View Quote

Even though it has a steel case, it's still reloadable.  

Never bought any Tula myself, but have reloaded plenty of those nice steel cases that folks leave on the ground for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I run Tula as much as I can because its cheap. It wears your springs out faster, but if you keep that in mind and make sure you do your maintenance, its nothing to worry about.

I prefer Tula (Or whatever is cheapest) because all the practice in the world will never give you the same results with practice ammo and carry ammo unless you practice and carry the same thing. I carry Speer Gold Dots and Federal HP, which is too expensive to burn through hundreds.

I'd say a good 30% of the practice ammo I use is Tula/Steel cased. And thats in my AR-15, my Dan Wesson Valor, and other pistols.

Only gun ever gave me issues was my CZ82, and I've had to replace trigger springs and recoil springs in that already. Gun had issues to start with, but she'll eat anything 9x18 now, especially that brass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 7:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I ran Tula in one of my 1911's a few weeks ago at a class, ran 100%, was actually surprised. A friend that attended the class ran Tula in a 1911 as well, 0 issues.

Ammo cost adds up when you're shooting a ton in a class, I think we saved something like $6 a box Tula vs brass cased US MFG FMJ.

Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:38:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I run Tula as much as I can because its cheap. It wears your springs out faster/...
View Quote

There is absolutely no way that TULA or any lighter than normal ammo would wear springs faster than normal ammo.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:24:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

There is absolutely no way that TULA or any lighter than normal ammo would wear springs faster than normal ammo.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I run Tula as much as I can because its cheap. It wears your springs out faster/...

At least in my CZ82 I know steel cased round beat the slide up more than normal ammo. Between .45/9/.223 ammo I cant say the same, but in the steel case Makarov ammo I have shot...thats a different story. YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It certainly does...

Since it's inexpensive ammo I end up shooting more often. THAT will cause the springs to wear out faster than they would just sitting in the safe.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it's all I got. My S&W 1911TA shoots it without problems.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 10:53:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep. Not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Shot some in my Sig 1911, no problems.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 2:00:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't buy it new but I've been reloading the steel cases for several years for my .45's.  No issues so far.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#18]
All the time.

My loaded loves the stuff.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 10:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 12:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]

WWII USGI .45acp, steel cased ammunition.

A lot of .45acp in WWII was steel cased. 1911s run fine with it with no issues.

Link Posted: 8/22/2014 1:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
http://forums.1911forum.com/attachment.php?s=9909adc3e9b6f4d920f3fc6aa9e62a85&attachmentid=72736&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1389904987

WWII USGI .45acp, steel cased ammunition.

A lot of .45acp in WWII was steel cased. 1911s run fine with it with no issues.

View Quote

I found a box of that stuff in a crate in one of my sheds about a year ago.  I didn't even know I had it, no clue when/where I bought it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2014 2:54:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Steel cased ammo is for the most part GTG.  Just be careful shooting at steel plates as some of the russian ammo is loaded with steel cored bullets.  There was a steel plate shooting competition here in my area recently that banned all steel cased ammo at the match because they were destroying targets and getting hellacious ricochets.

And yes, boxer primed steel cases are reloadable.  I get all kind of weird looks at the range when I pick it up.  I just smile and keep going.  Aluminum is reloadable too, ftw.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 4:59:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Aluminum is reloadable too, ftw.
View Quote

have yet to see any Aluminum with Boxer primers.  But I agree that it would be reloadable if found.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 1:24:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Steel cased ammo is for the most part GTG.  Just be careful shooting at steel plates as some of the russian ammo is loaded with steel cored bullets.  There was a steel plate shooting competition here in my area recently that banned all steel cased ammo at the match because they were destroying targets and getting hellacious ricochets.

And yes, boxer primed steel cases are reloadable.  I get all kind of weird looks at the range when I pick it up.  I just smile and keep going.  Aluminum is reloadable too, ftw.
View Quote

They also can't pick up and sell the brass, which is one of the main reasons this rule is enacted.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 4:53:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Shot various calibers of Tulla, only problem was a failure of the bolt to strip the 5.56 ctg from the mag, once.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top