Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2014 1:21:41 PM EDT
I'm thinking about picking up another full size 1911 for range/carry use. I,m looking at the Ruger and the Remington. I haven't fired either but I've handled both, and I've shot umpteen thousands of rounds from as many 1911 type handguns ranging from rattley junk to some of the best. Based on looks alone, I'm more partial to the Remington finish vs. stainless Ruger. And let's say that I can get either for the same price. I'm looking for arguments for and against either product based on experience. What says the masses?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an R1 and my dad has a Ruger 1911.  Get the Ruger.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply, sir. On what basis do you find the Ruger superior?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 1:52:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got a blued 5 inch Remington and the Ruger CMD in stainless, both great guns - keepers for sure. They aren't in the same class as my Wilson,
but I don't have to stress over every little scratch either.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:32:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

The fit and finish are far superior.  The Ruger is a beautiful gun.  The R1 just does not measure up.  Plus the Ruger has a 70-series fire control / safety system while Remington built theirs as an 80-series.  

If I were buying a range / carry gun I'd buy the Ruger over the Remington without hesitation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:32:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I own both, get the ruger, lot of gun for the money
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:36:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The fit and finish are far superior.  The Ruger is a beautiful gun.  The R1 just does not measure up.  Plus the Ruger has a 70-series fire control / safety system while Remington built theirs as an 80-series.  

If I were buying a range / carry gun I'd buy the Ruger over the Remington without hesitation.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I didn't realize the Rem was series 80. Thanks
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've got a blued 5 inch Remington and the Ruger CMD in stainless, both great guns - keepers for sure. They aren't in the same class as my Wilson,
but I don't have to stress over every little scratch either.
View Quote

I'm in the same boat- I really don't want to beat up my Les Baer, series 70 gold cup, or property marked GI pistol if I can help it.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 2:44:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thanks for the reply. Other than the stainless finish, what makes you think the Ruger is better?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 4:55:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the reply. Other than the stainless finish, what makes you think the Ruger is better?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

My R1 was one of the first generation R1 talo editions and suffers from the infamous dust cover scratch.  Operationally it is fine, just some roughness in the machining/finishing.  

My SR1911 is a commander and the finish is flawless, some have reported sight breakage with them, but I have not had that problem.  Ruger has apparently changed the front sight to a machined sight now to address that problem.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:23:22 PM EDT
[#10]
My ruger has shot every thing i could think to load or buy and i have only had 1 hang up and it was due to a bulged case of a bullet that a buddy of mine loaded on a cheap progressive press.

i loaded some 255 wad cutter, and they cycled just as ball...

The fit and finish Iis good to very good for the price point, the gun flat runs.

I have around 10,000 rounds through mine and it has been great since day one. I own several 1911's from colt, sti, turnbull, the ruger, had a Wilson once and the ruger will never be sold..

buy what you like, but the ruger you cannot go wrong with, personally I have never seena negative comment about ruger 1911. The r1 I have read many poor reviews on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:41:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I've never shot the Remington, but I have a 5" Ruger, and I love it.  Fit and finish is great, I've put a few hundred rounds through it without a hiccup.  The sights occasionally get a little surface rust from carrying it, but the stainless finish holds up well on the rest of the gun.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:00:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Ruger > Remington
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:06:17 AM EDT
[#13]
Add another $200 and you can get a standard model S&W E Series 1911. Much more gun for only a couple hundred bucks.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 3:26:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I own both and many, many rounds through both and can' honestly say for the same price which I would chose over the other. I love them both.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I own both and many, many rounds through both and can' honestly say for the same price which I would chose over the other. I love them both.
View Quote

Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 12:42:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Ruger > Remington
View Quote

I feel the same way. Remington firearms AND especially their green boxed labeled ammo has went to shit as of the last (5) year in MY experience. YMMV however! But I've seen some R1's that looked like they were made in right outside of an Afghanistan whore house. Don't get me started on that UMC ammo of theirs... Talk about a dumpster fire!
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:53:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I haven't had the Remington but I do have the Ruger. It is a great gun for the money. Mine has been reliable and accurate has around 2000 rounds through it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:16:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I haven't had the Remington but I do have the Ruger. It is a great gun for the money. Mine has been reliable and accurate has around 2000 rounds through it.
View Quote

It's a good pistol and the guys that own/shoot them at the club have nothing but praise for them. They are a solid value from a cost to value ratio. Honestly, they are out of sight from that stance...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Another nod toward the Ruger.  I have had the Remington and tried to like it, but I'm just too "old school" and favor the 70 series firing system.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#20]
A Springfield Mil Spec is in the same price range and, in my opinion, a better value than either the Ruger or Remington.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A Springfield Mil Spec is in the same price range and, in my opinion, a better value than either the Ruger or Remington.
View Quote

I'm a huge Springfield fan, HUGE. But a Mil-Spec for me is hard to love because of the the hammer bite, a 7-8lb trigger pull(at least mine was), curved mainspring housing (some like it, I hate it), and most importantly the sights leave a lot to be desired. For the same money the Ruger comes with a beaver tail, (no hammer bite), Novak sights, a flat checkered MSH, and a 4-5lb crisp trigger. Now if the OP wants to go up about $150 give or take; and spring for a Loaded model, then freaking absolutely. Especially if he can find a "NM" serial numbered Springfield... Shop around OP. My brother found a "NM" serial # prefix Loaded for $850 out the door... I paid more 3 years ago...
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I vote Ruger
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:01:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Add another $200 and you can get a standard model S&W E Series 1911. Much more gun for only a couple hundred bucks.
View Quote

What makes the E-series "much more gun"?  I've never owned a Smith 1911, s am curious how you can get much more out of it.

I own both the Ruger and Remington 1911.  Both are nice, but the Ruger is the one I like the most.  Much more features for same price.  I actually sold my first Ruger to a friend and missed it so I bought another.  If I sell my R1 I won't replace it.

I think the Ruger is the best bang for the buck 1911 available.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 1:06:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the replies. Will make the decision when I get out of the sandbox.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top