Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:46:35 AM EDT
One of my Springfield Mil-specs has been shot a LOT.  The front sight is flopping around.  I need to shoot it in a match next week, so don't have the luxury of time to get a dovetail cut in it right now.  I will leave it with the 'smith after the match, fo sure.

What can I do to tack it down until it can be properly fixed.  Is there a way for a civilian to re-stake it.  Or, is there some kind of goop that will hold it for a day (200 rounds) of competition?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:49:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Loctite?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:36:48 PM EDT
[#2]
A standard staked front sight?
Swing by any competent (or even half-competent) gunsmith and ask him to re-stake it for you.  If he works on 1911s he should have the staking tool and the process should take about 45 seconds (including the stroll over to the bench).  It doesn't require any significant skillset.

Last time I had one staked, I had just bought a used pistol online.  The dealer did the transfer for me, then I pointed out the loose sight.  He staked it and handed back the slide--no charge.

If you're a do-it-yourselfer, a staking tool isn't very expensive.

Alternatively, you can silver-solder the sight in place, but that requires a bit more effort and probably some clean-up work and/or finish damage.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 3:28:14 PM EDT
[#3]
This is easily fixable with the recommendations in the post above... OP, do what the above poster stated and run the snot out of that pistol in you competition...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top