Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:09:05 AM EDT
I'm in the market for an entry-level 1911. Still I've seen is a Citadel on sale at Academy for $339. Anyone know how citadel compares to ATI? Local gun store said ATI is going out of business and their guns are not mil spec so after market parts would be more difficult. Is this true?

Also, how does Citadel compare to Rock Island?  I'm looking for one in 9mm.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:11:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm in the market for an entry-level 1911. Still I've seen is a Citadel on sale at Academy for $339. Anyone know how citadel compares to ATI? Local gun store said ATI is going out of business and their guns are not mil spec so after market parts would be more difficult. Is this true?

View Quote

IIRC Citadel and RIA are made in the same factory under different names. I couldn't tell you which uses better materials or if they're different at all.

RIA has a life time warranty and some of the best customer service in the industry.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:27:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like LGS is full of it and perhaps wants you to buy something else.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:34:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

I would go with Citadel. I have one it did have an issue where something broke and I couldn't disassemble it anymore, anyhow I got on the horn with Armscor (the name of the company that makes them for the importers) and they took care of me. It took like 5 weeks but they did get it back to me. I had told the guy on the phone I was shooting hollow points and it broke whilst doing that and when they sent it back they included and extra magazine and had polished the feed ramp to make it more reliable for feeding hp ammo. To answer your question Citadel is basically the same thing as Rock Island. Legacy Sports outlet imports and sells the Citadel brand and I don't recall which importer sells the Rock Island brand. They are both made by Armscor in the Philippines. Some say Citadels have a nicer fit and finish I cannot speak to that as I only have a Citadel and it's selling point over the Rock Island to me was the compact tactical model was cheaper from the retailer I bought it from.

ETA: They both have the same lifetime warranty. Of the gun too so if you buy one used you still get to send it back for any issues.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top