Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2014 12:35:22 PM EDT
New to 1911s and am trying to find out what are some suggested magwells.

It will be going on my STI Spartan V .45.  Have ordered Tripp Cobra 8rd mags and a set of VZ Operators in Predator Green.

I am going to be using this mainly for my competitions, shooting IDPA, USPSA, and 3 gun, and possibly will see some carry in the future after a few months of competitions.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 1:41:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't go wrong with one piece design from Smith and Alexander.

I would steer clear of one of the cheaper designs out there.

Link Posted: 7/6/2014 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend the S&A as well.

Twice the price of the others, but also fits better.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Got the S&A on a Kimber. It took a lot of fitting to get the magwell angle to match the Kimber bevel. Came out great thogh.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 5:04:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks to each of you. The S&A models were recommended and also the Ed Brown and Wilson Combat 2 piece MSH/magwells.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:28:01 PM EDT
[#5]
I use the Ed Brown 2 piece mainspring housing/magwells and have been happy with them...
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Smith & Alexander if you like the smoother, natural flowing look.  Not sure on any of the two piece ones.  Don't know why you would want a two piece over a solid one anyways.
Link Posted: 7/6/2014 7:40:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Smith & Alexander if you like the smoother, natural flowing look.  Not sure on any of the two piece ones.  Don't know why you would want a two piece over a solid one anyways.
View Quote

Couple reasons.  One piece leaves a gap when the frame is too short.  Also, the funnel can be removed if you get tired of it or whatever.  I prefer the SA myself, though there are faster (if uglier and bulkier) funnels out there.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:14:20 AM EDT
[#8]
for a competition single stack, I found that I could pick up the front sight quicker with an arched mainspring housing... SA pictured.... YMMV

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 4:24:17 AM EDT
[#9]
I am happy with my two piece  with lanyard loop from Wilson Combat on my TRP.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 7:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I used an Ed Brown on my Trojan and it matched and fit great. Took less than 30 minutes to put it in.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Appreciate the responses.  I've ordered an Ed Brown two piece with the Snake Skin pattern.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:42:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Appreciate the responses.  I've ordered an Ed Brown two piece with the Snake Skin pattern.
View Quote

That is what I got.  It went in an EB pistol, so it was an easy decision for me.  Dropped straight in.  

I called and had mine GEN III coated.  I think it still only took a week or so.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:55:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Exactly what I have... You should be happy with it
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
That is what I got.  It went in an EB pistol, so it was an easy decision for me.  Dropped straight in.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Can't exactly call EB, ordered from Brownell, should be in by the end of the week.  After I get my Spartan back, having FTF problems, I'm taking the MSH house off and the grips, replacing with this MSH/magwell and a set of VZ Operators in Predator Green.  

Eventually I'll get around to letting my gunsmith blend it and try to figure out a new finish for it.  Might go Melonite, might try to find a cerakoat color that goes with the grips.

Quoted:
Exactly what I have... You should be happy with it

I'm hoping, I'm not exactly crazy for the plastic MSH.  Plus, reloading on the clock takes a little more time with the small opening compared to my HK's jetfunnel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 5:20:23 PM EDT
[#15]
I got a S&A slim magwell that didn't fit and it was replace with the Nighthawk one piece and fits like a glove, expensive but worth it in my opinion
" />
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:18:38 AM EDT
[#16]
I have installed several Smith & Alexander magwells over the past few years in all different makes of 1911 guns and have never had a fit or finish issue with none of them. They were all drop-in with no modifications needed.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have installed several Smith & Alexander magwells over the past few years in all different makes of 1911 guns and have never had a fit or finish issue with none of them. They were all drop-in with no modifications needed.
View Quote

Depending on the gun, sometimes the hole can be off a bit.  If it's just a bit, enlarging the hole with a round file usually does the trick.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Received the magwell today. I must say the Snakeskin pattern is pretty dang grippy. Also my VZ Operators are in so I'll put them both on tomorrow and take some pics.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be the outlier.

I like the Briley weld on mag wells. I eventually want to add one to my 1911.
Link Posted: 7/11/2014 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Crappy cell phone camera is crappy.  This was the only pic that came out well showing the magwell.

Link Posted: 7/11/2014 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Another vote here for S & A. Its what I have on mine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Just added an S&A arched to replace the flat on my S&W 1911TA...  Pretty strait forward install, the base angle was good to go out of the box, so no tweaking required really. The flare of course needs blending. Going to make sure it's a keeper before bothering with any of that, however. The finish matches up very well, and the arched mainspring is much more comfortable in my hand than the flat version which seems to be all the rage now. Overall, I'm liking the finished product  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top