Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2013 6:47:23 PM EDT
I picked up a RIA M1911-A1CS tactical a few weeks ago and it shoots awesome.  After cleaning today following a couple hundred rounds I peeked down the bore and noticed these grooves inside.
I'm not sure if its normal on these things or not,  but I've never seen a new gun with a bore like this.  
Even my old flintlock is better looking after forgetting to clean it for a while.  I had a magazine issue and RIA took care of it no questions asked so I'm sure if it is a problem they will make it right.  
Like I said, it shoots great so I'm not sure if I should just not worry about it or send it in.

Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I think that is called "chatter" when they are cutting the rifling. It could shoot smooth, but it's gonna take a shit load of rounds! I would say that is normal for a gun of the quality and price point you bought.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:21:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like crap. It well may shoot fine but it'll get dirty far faster then a properly machined one.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Excuse me while I ask a ridiculous question.  So the RIA really isn't as good as a $2K 1911?

It will probably shoot fine until the lower lug shears off the barrel or some other quality issue crops up.
Link Posted: 6/12/2013 8:49:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Looks like crap. It well may shoot fine but it'll get dirty far faster then a properly machined one.

Yes , this

I would send off these photos to RIA CS and see what they say.

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes , this

I would send off these photos to RIA CS and see what they say.

Think I would too. That should have never made it out IMO.

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Definitely not normal but the key is how it shoots. If you are satisfied with on target performance doesn't matter. I have had some milsurps with some pretty shaggy bores that still shot very well
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 7:52:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Bad machining and little (if any) polishing.

The EDM machined bores are probably among the best.

They look like a mirror on every surface.

The barrel has a lot of chatter, likely from a less than smooth pull of the forming button.

Even if it shoots acceptably it may not say that way long as bullet material builds up in the  chatter marks.

It may actually improve for a while, then start getting much worse depending on how well you clean it.

Link Posted: 6/13/2013 9:54:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Contact RIA for a replacement, they have above excellent CS and will take care of that for you, even if you think it "shoots fine".
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 10:37:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I think that is called "chatter" when they are cutting the rifling. It could shoot smooth, but it's gonna take a shit load of rounds! I would say that is normal for a gun of the quality and price point you bought.

That happens when they ream the bore. Good barrels have the tooling marks lapped out prior to rifling.

Otherwise, the button just smashes it out into the grooves. I've seen barrels on rifles so bad it made a zipping noise when I ran a brush through it.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 12:53:16 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a self defense gun, not a bullseye pistol or a custom piece you bought to show off. If it shoots well, then shoot it. If something goes wrong, send it in.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 3:12:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a self defense gun, not a bullseye pistol or a custom piece you bought to show off. If it shoots well, then shoot it. If something goes wrong, send it in.

Honestly, it's a shitty barrel period. I WOULD be concerned if the chamber exhibits the same lack of QA, rough chamber can cause an issue when you least want it. I personally would want to shoot any lead practice ammo down that sewer pipe and have to spend 5x's as long cleaning it out.
Link Posted: 6/13/2013 4:07:21 PM EDT
[#12]
That does not surprise me for the price.  If it shoots good, I would not worry about reliability as much as cleaning lead out of it.  Use JB bore cleaner if needed to remove any lead.    Don't use it more than a few times, but it should get better.   I have a Savage rifle that looked like that, it shoots 1/2 inch groups after the JB cleaning.  Also a Mini-14 improved with JB cleaning.  Supposedly, Glock barrels are TOO smooth!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top